Status
Not open for further replies.

WharfRat1976

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2014
Austin, Texas
I believe the PA state legislature is actually under Republican control at the moment.
No clue but always has been a tax and spend bastion of Democrats.
Just like Chicago. The ecig tax there happened last year. I believe it was higher than 40%.

WharfRat1976

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2014
Austin, Texas
Well, I'm pretty sure I'm right about the legislature, so would that make it a tax and spend bastion of Republicans?
No, Less. Penn has voted Democrat in the last 6 presidential elections.

Perhaps vape laws have no political alliances. Democrats are typically pro tax as you know.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
No clue but always has been a tax and spend bastion of Democrats.
Hardly. Pennsylvania is well below average in the amount of taxes it collects from its residents. With a flat income tax of 3.07%, a sales tax of 6%, and generally reasonable property taxes, it simply cannot be described as a "tax & spend" state.

As for politics, the governor's office has historically flip-flopped back and forth between Reps and Dems every 8 years or so, but the legislature has historically had Republican most of the time.

Yes, PA tended to go for the Dem in presidential race of late. 102% turn-out with zero votes cast for the Rep candidate in certain urban precincts may have something to do with that. ;)

WharfRat1976

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2014
Austin, Texas
Hardly. Pennsylvania is well below average in the amount of taxes it collects from its residents. With a flat income tax of 3.07%, a sales tax of 6%, and generally reasonable property taxes, it simply cannot be described as a "tax & spend" state.

As for politics, the governor's office has historically flip-flopped back and forth between Reps and Dems every 8 years or so, but the legislature has historically had Republican most of the time.

Yes, PA tended to go for the Dem in presidential race of late. 102% turn-out with zero votes cast for the Rep candidate in certain urban precincts may have something to do with that. ;)
Democratic tax and spend Governer Tom Wolf signed the behemoth tax and spend bill including pummeling ecig revenue.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Perhaps that is why they're trying to make up budget shortfalls wherever they can?

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Democratic tax and spend Governer Tom Wolf signed the behemoth tax and spend bill including pummeling ecig revenue.
Yes he did.

And last year he asked for increases in both the Income and Sales taxes, which the legislature rejected. This resulted in many months delay in getting an actual budget.

Perhaps that is why they're trying to make up budget shortfalls wherever they can?
Yep. After last year's tardy budget, the legislature wasn't in the mood to quibble over tax increases on a part of the population that's too small to vote them out.

Mind you, I'm not saying any of this is A Good Thing. I'm simply pointing out that PA is not a high-tax state when viewed in the context of the other 49 states. Ranked from highest taxes at #1 to lowest at #50, PA every source I've checked places PA somewhere in the 30's.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
How about when viewed in the context of the new ecig tax?[emoji44]
Well, in that context, they may tax, but they aren't going to spend, because they simply aren't going to collect anywhere near as much as they've projected from that particular tax.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
I am Officially Opposed to a Governing To the People.

FAT Government!
Tax Broken America!

ronald_reagan_quote.jpg

Pennsylvania Taxation for Inability to Meet Over Blown Budget is WRONG!!!
Proposed Spending Beyond Already Existing Taxation - is WRONG!
Taxing a Healthier Choice, worse than Cigarette Taxes, is Wrong!

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Well, in that context, they may tax, but they aren't going to spend, because they simply aren't going to collect anywhere near as much as they've projected from that particular tax.

And so the Cycle Repeats.

Spend on Projected Tax Revenues.
Fall Short of Tax Projections.
Enact New Taxes to cover Shortfall.
Spend on Projected Tax Revenues.
Fall Short of Tax Projections.
Enact New Taxes to cover Shortfall.

Wash, Rinse, Repeat.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
I was once corporate counsel for a hospital ('87 - '92) in Baltimore, MD. I lived in Pensylvania for tax purposes, Heaven help the poor citizens of Maryland. I like the 102% turnout with no Republican votes; what a country.

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD
I was once corporate counsel for a hospital ('87 - '92) in Baltimore, MD. I lived in Pensylvania for tax purposes, Heaven help the poor citizens of Maryland. I like the 102% turnout with no Republican votes; what a country.
Then you know Baltimore politics.... Vote early vote often....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread