retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
Going to use this thread for my comparisons between the two.

Initial impressions.

The Rock is airy. Like Protank airy. Even more so. 45mg nic salts in that thing is suicide. :lol:

The Rock - Plastic
Cora - Metal

So far, I'm liking the Cora better due to the durability of the metal body and tighter air draw.

Off to work to give them both a work out.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
Glad I took both of 'em in today as it was one of those days and I was honking on both of those mods every chance I got. Didn't quite run the batteries down, but I was pretty darned close.

With that airy draw, there's no way The Rock can do 45mg nic salts and have me survive. :lol: As a result, I found myself vaping twice as much (if not more) compared to the Cora. Vapor production tended to be more with The Rock as well, making a quick stealth vape in the can virtually impossible. Couple of times I almost got caught vaping in the can, resulting in a partial exhale, followed by a hold and then coughing. Not my idea of fun. Switched to the Cora for that, making it much easier to sneak in a couple of puffs while doing my business.

I highly doubt The Rock would last me the entire day at work. Having to use my normal 24mg e-liquid just makes it another "portable" mod that's easy to use while out and about.

I'll give 'em both a serious work out for the rest of the week and give updates along the way.

So far, the Cora is winning.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
Pod comparisons.

I must say, I love the Cora's pod design. No plug to to misplace, hunt for, pray the dog hasn't eaten it, etc. Initially, upon seeing that design, I was worried about leaking. I was pleasantly surprised when I found it to be rather good. No leaks at all.

pod1.png

pod2.png

pod3.png

Reactions: David Wolf

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
For the rebuilders, the pods for The Rock can be rebuilt (as evidenced elsewhere in this forum). I attempted to dismantle a Cora pod and found it can't be done without totally destroying the pod itself. The mouthpiece is glued in, and attempting to remove it will break the pod beyond redemption.

So for the rebuilders, the pods for The Rock will be your obvious choice.

I was on the fence about the price of the Cora pods. But the more I think about the design factor and there being no parts to misplace, I'm finding myself more willing to spend the extra buck or two for replacements.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
Well well well. BIG strike one for The Rock pods. Took a pod out, replaced with another filled with a different flavor, and set the first one on the table. Just noticed it's leaking through the air hole at the base. Looked inside the mod, and yep. There's e-liquid in there, too.

Reactions: Burnie

Burnie

The Bug Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2009
Sunny Florida
Well well well. BIG strike one for The Rock pods. Took a pod out, replaced with another filled with a different flavor, and set the first one on the table. Just noticed it's leaking through the air hole at the base. Looked inside the mod, and yep. There's e-liquid in there, too.
Not had that happen on a stock build (only used 3 stock pods so far, just keep rebuilding them), but I have had it happen on a couple of rebuilds, my fault, the wick was not right, redid it and it was good to go.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
Bear in mind, the heat down here has been typical Texas with temps hovering around 100. Car has no A/C, either. (Yeah, I really gotta make that a priority!)

I left the Cora at home and took just The Rock into work today. Battery didn't last the shift. (Yes, I was hitting that thing every chance I could get. :lol: )

3daysNcounting

Apr 25, 2017
Bear in mind, the heat down here has been typical Texas with temps hovering around 100. Car has no A/C, either. (Yeah, I really gotta make that a priority!)

I left the Cora at home and took just The Rock into work today. Battery didn't last the shift. (Yes, I was hitting that thing every chance I could get. :lol: )

I'm in Phx n quit looking at the high once it hit 122 mid afternoon today.... Retired, I couldn't imagine driving without A/C! Then again, mine gets turned on once we hit high 70's :cool:

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
Well, the test came to an abrupt end yesterday when I pif'd the Boulder kit to a friend at work. She's just tickled pink over it. Prefilled two pods with a couple of my favorite e-liquids and she's just over the moon with the diversity of flavors that are available. Another convert joins the ranks. :D

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
For the rebuilders, the pods for The Rock can be rebuilt (as evidenced elsewhere in this forum). I attempted to dismantle a Cora pod and found it can't be done without totally destroying the pod itself. The mouthpiece is glued in, and attempting to remove it will break the pod beyond redemption.

So for the rebuilders, the pods for The Rock will be your obvious choice.

I was on the fence about the price of the Cora pods. But the more I think about the design factor and there being no parts to misplace, I'm finding myself more willing to spend the extra buck or two for replacements.
Great reviews and pics, thanks retired1. The pod build on the Cora looks good, I prefer metal around the coil and that one appears to have it all around. I so wanted that one to be rebuildable! Maybe the bottom can come off?

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
Maybe the bottom can come off?

I'll give it a shot when the next pod gives out. I honestly don't think the bottom will come off easily without trashing some critical components.

The coil itself screws into the base. I tried like the dickens to get into the coil and it just wouldn't come apart. Destroyed it in the attempt (crushed the chimney with pliers) and it still wouldn't give up its secrets. It would be awesomely awesome if that mouthpiece came out easier and there was a source for the coils. Those pods would last forever.

Between the two, my favorite is the Cora. As the body is aluminum, it gives a wee bit of heft to the mod which gives that "quality" feel. Pods are great as well, just wish they lasted a bit longer than the 5-6 refills you can get out of them. Price has come done by a buck for two, making them around 4.50 a pop. Cheaper than cigs, and I guess I can live with that price as long as I remember to order plenty ahead of time. :lol:

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
I just had a thought regarding the Cora coils. As they claim it's a "wickless" design, it's entirely possible there's some type of ceramic inside that thing, which would add an additional wrinkle to rebuilding it. I'll give it another shot when it comes time to replace a pod, but I honestly don't think this one can be rebuilt at all.

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
I just had a thought regarding the Cora coils. As they claim it's a "wickless" design, it's entirely possible there's some type of ceramic inside that thing, which would add an additional wrinkle to rebuilding it. I'll give it another shot when it comes time to replace a pod, but I honestly don't think this one can be rebuilt at all.
Oh you're right, I forgot it's a "wickless" design so almost certainly isn't rebuildable. That's the most solidly built pod I've seen and if it's really 500 mah that looks like a fine stealthy device. Would be great if the pods were cheaper if it has a decently tight draw.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread