Vaping and yea old sinuses

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayBone1215

Jul 17, 2016
I'm not 100% sure but I'm starting to lean in the direction that one or more of the chemicals used to make v-juice is causing me to get sinus infections. I've been vaping now for almost 2 January 1st. will be 2 years (Will you look at that, a new years res that I actually kept.) And that is why this is such a bummer if it turns out that I'm allergic to one or more of the chemicals. From day one when I started vaping will the first infection popped it ugly head out at month 2 mid Feb. 2015 looking at my medical records so about every 3 I've been blessed with another infection. It goes like this doctor gives me a 10 day round of antibiotics which is always followed by at least one more round but mostly 2 more so on avg. I'm taking antibiotics for 30 days then I'm good for about a month then the sinus headaches start followed green bloody mucus which I let go for at least 2 weeks before contacting my doctor I've tried Neti pot which helps a lot but it's not enough to get rid of the infection. Anyway I was wondering if anyone else was having problems and if so did they find a solution because I really don't want to end up smoking cigs again if I can't handle the nic withdrawal

• Agree
Reactions: Hesham911

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2016
8 Mile + 2.5
Have you tried simply to drink more water daily and use a saline nasal spray? I try and drink at least 3 liters of water per day and use a saline spray when I feel my sinuses getting dry. I have a history of asthma and allergies and had issues after switching to vapes but that solved it for me.

RayBone1215

Jul 17, 2016
Have you tried simply to drink more water daily and use a saline nasal spray? I try and drink at least 3 liters of water per day and use a saline spray when I feel my sinuses getting dry. I have a history of asthma and allergies and had issues after switching to vapes but that solved it for me.
I think I mentioned it above that I use a Neti Pot but I didn't say how often will I use it twice daily. Anyway a Neti Pot is what your doctor would ask you to try if simple saline spray wasn't working and on the water part I drink on avg. 1.5 gallons a day and that doesn't include all the other liquids I consume coffee soda, so I'm keeping myself will hydrated. I'm starting another round of antibiotics tomorrow. I'm hopping I don't come down with an antibiotic resistant infection. On another note I was thinking it may be environmental something in the walls where I live black mold but I rent so I won't be ripping the shower walls out tomorrow to see but I'm also moving next month into a place I no for sure has no black mold so maybe the infection will stop after I move but if they don't then I'm thinking I may have to stop vaping. When I quite smoking and started vaping, vaping wasn't something I planned on doing for the rest of my life it was only supposed to be a crutch to help me stop smoking will I haven't smoked a cig in almost 2 years.
Thanks for the suggestion Fozzy71

cryx

ECF Veteran
Feb 11, 2011
Midwest
RayBone, my experience is different. Sorry for a long post but I'd rather bore you to tears than have you go back to cigs.

I suffered with recurring sinusitis for decades. Sinus headaches were the norm as was one nostril mostly swollen shut. During a flareup, both nostrils swelled shut if I slept flat, causing mild apnea, leading to daytime fatigue. I drank tons of water, used saline spray, wife gave me herbal gimmicks, took steaming hot showers before bed, slept on 3 pillows (or in a recliner), had a Vicks vaporizer next to the bed, hell, I slathered my mustache with Vicks. Winter usually caused mild bronchitis. I've always been an on & off again smoker. Smoking in the winter inevitably led to major bronchitis + 2-4w of Ceftin. I was in hell and considering rhinoplasty...

My life changed almost 6 years ago. I believe it was 1/29/2011 and I was extremely ill with bronchitis. Sick time off, lost my voice, congested, rattled breath, raw throat, hacking up bloody green globs. I was in a hard nic fit because I couldn't even baby puff the wife's ultra-lights. That was the day our first rinky-dinks, ie. KR808s, arrived.

Out of the sampler packs, there was one flavor I immediately latched onto... The menthols. It soothed my cough. Later that day, my nostrils started opening up. I could BREATH. Over the next few days my sinuses completely drained - we're talking boxes of kleenex. My lungs expelled too. That's the last time I've had bronchitis or my nostrils swell shut. I still get sinus pressure and headaches but it never develops much further. I intended for ecigs to be a path to quitting but I don't see that happening now. Instead I've cut down from 24mg to ~4mg.

TL;DR: The problem may be the juice or a dirty wick/coil. I get sinus issues with non-clear juices or when I get lazy about changing cotton. My litmus: Nose exhales should cause no stinging. My wife mouth exhales so she will obliviously vape burnt juice, sniffling and occasionally coughing, until I ask her to nose exhale.

Rickb119

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2013
Greeley, CO, USA
I suffered from sinus infections for many years. At least one, and as many as three per year. Like you I did the antibiotics every time. Some times they seemed to work, a little. Other times I'd be on my third round before it started getting better.

Vaping did absolutely nothing for my sinuses, either good or bad. My breakthrough came when I discovered Neilmed sinus rinse. NeilMed Sinus Rinse Original Sinus Kit | Walgreens Read the reviews. (Walmart also carries it.)

I use this at least once per day. If I feel even the slightest twinge of something coming on, I may do it 3-4 times per day.

It's been 2 years and I haven't had even a minor "anything"! :banana:

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
Getting old stinks. In my younger day, I'd go years without getting sick or suffering from minor maladies. Now I have allergies (cedar), suffer from sinus issues whenever the weather changes drasticly, and we won't talk about the aches and pains resulting from years of abuse to my body.

It may not be related to vaping at all. Just another sign that you're a step closer to that appointment with the almighty. :D

Macko

Jan 5, 2017
Even before vaping or smoking, I'd get sinus infections several times a year.

Needed zithromax or comparable every time once it started.

Without advice from a doctor, I've decided to just go crazy with AFRIN.

I've used that every single day for over 5 years now. Sure, everyone will say it's bad for you, but it's either that or antibiotics every few months.

Now I rarely get sinus infections. Maybe once a year now, and take antibiotics.

Usually triggered when I drink a hell of a lot of alcohol, but hey, I'm happy with how things are.

I have little doubt that my sinuses would be in better shape without vaping, but I live my life how i want, and I'm ok with it.

Life is full of choices...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread