Vaping around children

Discussion in 'New Members Forum' started by Maddog1904, Feb 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Maddog1904

Maddog1904 Senior Member

Hi, this is my first post and could be a stupid question! Is it safe to vape in the same room as my 18mnth old son? I Must be exhaling a certain amount of nicotine, should I be concerned about this? Would constant exposure lead to any kind of craving for nicotine?

2. Calveezzzy

Calveezzzy Full Member Verified Member

I have no idea, but I do see people bringing their kids into my local vape shop all the time.

3. shaneparkins

shaneparkins Moved On

Would you smoke around children - No? that's your answer, it's not 100% harmless and with kids you need to be careful, it contains nicotine which is poisen, lets remember. Second hand smoke will have traces of nicotine.

4. Off Topic

Off Topic Ultra Member ECF Veteran

It's not a great idea. I wouldn't make a habit of it.

I wouldn't panic over it either.

I go vape in another room when the grandbaby is over.

5. FattyMcChubChub

FattyMcChubChub Full Member

Though the traces are minute, it's better not to vape around children. Like shaneparkins said, it's not 100% safe. Unless you are vaping 0mg, hold off until you can go to another room or outside.

6. Jwbaldy

Jwbaldy Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

From what research I've done, there seems to be little to no nicotine in second hand vapor. If you don't want your child to come into any contact with nicotine maybe wait until you go into a different room or go outside. My friends and I vape in the kitchen when the kids are in the living room. No big deal.

7. charmschool

charmschool Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

What he said. You know, we're really not 100% sure of the impact of vaping on our own bodies yet, but due to polution, just breathing the air in general comes with a risk these days. My gut says keep it in another room, or at least across the room from the little ones.

8. guppy

guppy Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

I only vape near my kids when in an open outdoor area, never in a room with no breeze. I do bring my son with me to vape shops when I need to pick some stuff up but that's only for just a brief moment.

9. mostlyclassics

mostlyclassics Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    If you're that concerned about young children being exposed to nicotine, then you'd also better eliminate tomatoes and potatoes from their diets. Both contain a small but measurable amount of nicotine. Other vegetable products that contain nicotine are eggplant and peppers of all kinds, but little kids aren't too fond of those.

10. patkin

patkin Vaping Master ECF Veteran

You'll read many sides to anything controversial and the mind plays tricks so I think its best to do what's in your heart. There's a motto I follow that usually pays: "If in doubt... don't."

I have a cat and I've read the controversy over vaping PG around them so I don't as I would never forgive myself if something happened to her. As for my grandkiddos and my other pets, I either stay far on the other side of a large room or I leave the room. Nicotine isn't a big concern in that to me but knowing what VG does to my chest I wouldn't want to take a chance with their itty bitty lungs.

11. Dj tank

Dj tank Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

I do around my 8 yr old. But she's rarely in the same room. When I smoked I smoked outside in my garage and never in the car. I do vape in the car with my wife and daugter - but the window is cracked and I blow the vape out it. There are eleventy billion other chemicals in my household that are far more dangerous than my whiff of vapor IMO.

12. Maddog1904

Maddog1904 Senior Member

Thanks for help, instinct has stopped me vaping around him but wanted to check. If there are potential health risks how come vaping indoors in public and in the office is allowed (in uk?)

13. shaneparkins

shaneparkins Moved On

Totally agree but for the sake of smoking in another room why add one more. As you mentioned in the car always out the window.

14. guppy

guppy Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Just to be safe, keep your vaping in a single room of your household that your kids are rarely in and/or with good ventilation so that you don't have to worry about vaping causing any damages. I do notice that when I walk into vape shops, it does seem a bit stuffy which in terms, might cause a lack of oxygen to the baby's lungs? Just another thing to think about

15. ClippinWings

ClippinWings Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

The air they breath all day every day, isn't 100% safe.

What exactly do you think will happen if children are exposed to trace amounts of nicotine in vapor?

They'll get addicted?

Nicotine is an addictive stimulant... Not a carcinogen...

Sent from the ether using the power of my mind... and the Tapatalk app.

16. TheOnlyCindy

TheOnlyCindy Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Food for thought in more ways than one....

17. NeilSwift

NeilSwift Moved On Verified Member

It is safe. You exhale vapour. Your mouth retains the nicotine.

18. adopogi

adopogi Full Member Verified Member

I just vape in another room/area in the house. Sometimes my 3 yr old ninja sneaks up on me and giggles and tries to swat the smoke rings I make so I stop and we play in the living room until he gets distracted with the tv or his other toys. Once the kids and wife are asleep then I chain vape while lurking ECF (was able to setup an AGA T thanks to you guys).

I don't want to make an early impression on my kids that they want to vape when they grow up because they saw their dad vape all the time (so I go out of my way to make sure I don't vape in front of them).

19. Jeremy Evans

Jeremy Evans Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Best answer yet, didnt say if it was harmful or not, only that he doesnt want his children doing it period. NUFF said. I will take the same approach when mine is older than a year, but since the is 9 months from now, I will continue doing it the way I do on the other side of the room at a minimum (or just hold it in till nothing comes out if she comes near me) and crack the window in the car if I absolutely have too when we are going somewhere. Typically I will just take one huge puff on the way out of the car.

20. struckus

struckus Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.