Vaping around children

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maui73

Feb 12, 2013
California
For me, I still vape outside especially we have a small house. I still have the habit of treating it like a real cig and wash my hands and mouth before i touch my baby. I vape inside the bathroom when it's cold outside and vape to the exhaust fan with door closed as well. Kitchen exhaust fan; still no for me since vape still goes around.

Wrangler00

Verified Member
Dec 2, 2012
Texas
No way, it's just irresponsible. It's like telling your kids it's ok to do drugs. Essentially that's what nicotine is. Just like drinking...not that there is anything wrong with having a drink but IMO a good parent will try to keep their kid away from anything that could potentially harm them. If you don't then your ....ty parent. Just my 2 cents.

Furthermore if you have to ask then you've already lost!

cocacola31173

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2012
United States
Well I grew up with a lot of drinking alcohol in my house and it had the opposite effect on me. I don't drink at all because of it. I smoked and now I vape in front of my kids. I tell them that my vaporizer is just like my cigs were and they are not to touch them. Actually they are happy I made the switch.

supertrunker

Living sarcasm
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Texas
I suspect it really comes down to what the child's mother thinks.

And if she thinks that vaping is like smoking, well, best to keep it outside as if it were - for no reason other than family harmony and politeness!

"I do not hold the door open for you because you are a lady - but because i am a gentleman!"

T

mostlyclassics

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
They're your kids, but I suspect that any child over a few years old who's more perceptive than a pet rock knows full well that you smoke or vape or engage in other regrettable behaviors. Hiding whatever it is from such children just deepens the mystery and consequent allure for them.

That's my 2¢ worth, and I'm sticking to it . . .

ClippinWings

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2011
The OC
No way, it's just irresponsible. It's like telling your kids it's ok to do drugs. Essentially that's what nicotine is. Just like drinking...not that there is anything wrong with having a drink but IMO a good parent will try to keep their kid away from anything that could potentially harm them. If you don't then your ....ty parent. Just my 2 cents.

Furthermore if you have to ask then you've already lost!

That is a completely irresponsible, possibly ignorant and somewhat offensive statement.

Man, this forum needs a dislike button.

So, in your opinion... Kids shouldn't be around anyone Vaping because Nicotine a "drug"... a Drug on par with Caffeine? But Drinking Alcohol around them is fine?

Some people need to get the priorities straight.

Do you roll down your windows when you drive?.. cause the carbon monoxide from car exhaust is a hell of a lot worse for you than trace amount of nicotine.

Not trying to start a HUGE debate here... but In my opinion a good parent doesn't lie to their kids.

Admittedly my kids are now early-teens... so I feel a responsibility to be open and honest with them about the world "out there"... I don't shelter them because I feel they need to be prepared for the temptations and dangers out there.

Please, everyone responding here... Remember that "Children" is a very broad term...

Newborn to 18... Perhaps, we should all be a little more specific about the ages we're talking about.

Last edited:

Monk33

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2013
Vapeland
I treat vaping no differently than smoking, i would never use it around my niece or nephew. I think alot of people on the forum takes the whole "its not smoke but vapor" for granted. Sure its just vapor but it doesn't necessarily mean that its okay to force your vapor onto other people that disprove of it i.e. restaurants, airplanes, etc etc

Byten

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 24, 2012
USA
There was a study done on the exhaled vapor in a sealed roomed, don't ask me for a link I don't have it. I think it was a ClearStream study? Anyone? Anyway the gist was nothing of risk was found in the rooms air samples, including nicotine. Also it was the only study I ever read that looked for glycol, they found none.

I have read enough studies to feel confident in vaping in the house, around the kids and next to the kids. I do not let them go anywhere near my e-liquid or my batteries.

Emotional thinking is mostly not thinking, do your research.

Leash44

Verified Member
Feb 12, 2013
Boise, ID
To add to the post about the study done, I read a post on here, not sure when it was from or who it was posted by as I am new to the forum and it was one of the many posts I have read since joining, but it was a lady who took her bird in to get tested for nicotine. She said she chain vapes within 8 feet of the bird all day and was worried about whether it was safe for the bird as far as nicotine or toxins, and birds have super sensitive respiratory systems. The bird tested totally clean. I know this is not a scientific study but it was interesting.

Ok I found the post and it was actually about the same topic, here it is and it is the second reply down:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/new-members-forum/300453-opinions-vaping-around-children.html

I read this because I have a 6 year old and I recently quit analogs. I always smoked them outside when she was inside, and did not know if it was safe to vape near her or not. After everything I have read I am of the opinion that I am comfortable vaping in the house although I certainly don't blow it in her face or when she walks up to me. As far as hiding vaping from her I think that is crazy. I tried to hide my smoking from her for a long time, but eventually she got old enough to wonder what I was doing and hiding and I had to come clean and tell her it was a bad habit and bad for me and she is happy that what I do now is better for me and I won't die from it. I have told her that what I do now is still not the best, that I don't want her to ever do it, but that it is something that helped me to stop the cigarettes that were making me smell yucky that she asked me to quit. I guess she also saw one one those tv ads that told her that smoking kills, so one day when i went out to have a cigarette she told me not to have any more and asked if I was going to die if I went out and had that one. So I quit and ordered vaping stuff.

Edited to say I ordered vaping stuff and used a nasty disposable until the order came. 8-o yuck

Last edited:

Wrangler00

Verified Member
Dec 2, 2012
Texas
Studies have shown that if you smoke in your house then the odds of your kids smoking will increase exponentially. The same goes with drinking. Everyone wants to ask is there any research on vaping? The simple answer is...do the research. The problem is that there is no research done that says it is 100% safe or not safe. So in saying this why do it in front of your kids? They are your kids and feel free to do what you want but know that the probability of them following in your footsteps is great. Vapers should follow smoking laws just the same. Just because you can vape in a restaurant doesn't mean you should do so. It's individuals such as these that will get e cigs banned or worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread