VG/PG Brand affect flavor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, I've been DIY my own juice for a few months now. I've made a few that are okay, but nothing with any sort of wow factor. Every batch I've made tastes a little off. I've tried different percentages of flavorings, different combinations of flavors, different ratios of VG/PG and steeping. So far nothing has just stood out as being good. I didn't expect to come straight out the gate making "premium e juice" but even a blind squirrel finds a nut occasionally. I've mostly been using TFA flavors, and a few of Capella's flavors which all smell great in the bottle, but then don't taste so wonderful. So I was wondering if in anyone out there's experience the brand of VG/PG makes a difference in flavor? That is the only consistent ingredient. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

dc99

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 17, 2014
earth
You will get a hundred opinions on that subject. Ive tried a bunch and as long as you stick with a reputable company theres not a lot of difference. One thing I will suggest is to not over-do the percentages of flavors. To much is worse than not enough. I use mainly TFA. There are tons of recipes on the net and a bunch on here. Just pic the category and go searching.

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
If they are flavorless, then that's perfect and it's time to move on to the next part that is the same in all mixes.

You.

What equipment do you use to mix?
Can you give 3 examples of complete recipes that are good representations of your issue?

There's lots if helpful folks on here, so let's break this out and see what we can see.

Hoosier, I use a 10ml syringe to put the VG and PG into a bottle. Plastic or glass, whatever I have handy Usually 15ml. Then I drip my flavor concentrate in according to the recipe. Then I shake it up, then put it up in the top of my closet for a few days to a week, shaking once a day. I'm really digging the strawberry milk/custard type flavors right now and would like to make decent one to cut my vaping budget a bit.

This one is okay.
TFA Ripe Strawberry 8%
TFA Cheesecake Graham Cracker Crust 5%
TFA Sweet Cream 3%
TFA Bavarian Cream 3%
CAP Vanilla Custard 2%

This one also turned out okay
TFA Strawberry Ripe - 8%
CAP Vanilla Custard - 5%
CAP Vanilla Swirl - 2%
TFA Marshmallow - 2%

This one was disgusting, I think it was the pie crust and caramel that I didn't like.
TFA 10 % apple pie
TFA 5% pie crust
CAP 4% Vanilla Swirl
TFA 4% whipped cream
CAP 2% caramel

My favorite VG and PG come from Totally Wicked. They are flavorless, but the PG seems to hold flavors well and the VG has a nice smoothing effect and great vapor. Their VG is actually Aqueous Glycerine; VG with a bit of distilled water; more popular in the UK. It is thinner than plain VG, which makes for a lot less frustration when mixing, and especially if you're trying to draw it into a syringe. Totally Wicked is UK-based, but has a branch in Florida. They also have some interesting flavor concentrates that I don't see elsewhere like Starfruit. The AG makes all the difference for me.

Also, keep in mind that nicotine solution oxidizes rapidly when exposed and takes on an unpleasant nutty odor and flavor. I keep my ingredients in test tubes in a rack with rubber stoppers in them. The stoppers have little holes so the juices breath and steep well. The nicotine, which I get from Wizard, is alright as long as it's clear or close to clear. It turns yellow, then amber, as it oxidizes. So your nicotine could be throwing off your flavors.

And, speaking of "smooth," Wizard sells some additives, one of which happens to be called "Smooth," that can help enhance flavor mixing or tempering single notes. I use Smooth sometimes, or the liquid Ethyl Maltol to mellow out a blend and harmonize flavor notes. The one called "Sour" is good for adding some tang.

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
Eric, do me a favor. Plug the end of your 10ml syringe and count the number of drops of flavoring to bring the bottom of top liquid surface to the 3ml mark and divide that number by 3. This will give you the approximate number of drops per ml for your flavoring.

Use this data to recalculate the actual flavoring %'s in those recipes.

I'm betting you're in for a surprise.

Hoosier, I'll check that out later this evening when I get home from work and report my findings. I have a feeling you already know what I'm going to find though... Also, I don't know if it makes a difference or not, but I use the "e-juice me up" calculator?

sambhogasarah, Thanks for the tips! I'll check Totally Wicked out later this evening as well!

Hoosier, using your sorcery I measured the drop to ML ratio like you said to do. It came out to roughly 60 drops per ML. I'm fairly certain my count was accurate but If I don't screw up at least 2 things a day, I haven't been doing anything. So I'm going to do it again tonight. If that's right though I'm definitely surprised. All the online calculators say that there's 20 drops per 1ml. Are you suggesting that I'm not using enough flavoring in my mixture, because I've been going by the 20 drops per ML that the calculator says? Or are you saying that the recipe is inaccurate and I've been using way to much flavoring?

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
I'm saying you're not adding the amount of flavoring you thought you were.

As to if it is under or over flavored, you'd have to use my flavoring level blog as a reference to determine that for yourself.

Given you were using the commonly, and horribly incorrect, 20 drops = 1ml, there is a slightly higher chance that they are under flavored...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread