Ways to know when to change coil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turtletimee

Jul 23, 2015
Hi!

I just got my Mini Pro-tank 3 and coolfire 4, not really taking advantage of it whilst I'm trying to figure out what voltage/Watt it isn't killing my throat or doing nothing! The juices I have are pretty poor corner shop 18mg ones but have some 12mg Vampire Vapes on the way

It's kind of my practice tank to break (hence why I went so cheap) before I get an Isub G, as i've heard they are decent. I've asked before how often to change the coils but it obviously depends on usage, is there a check you can do, or do you wait until a taste goes? Or just change it weekly?

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
Which I assume is just a distinctive bad burning taste?

Not necessarily, sometimes it will just taste "off." I know that's vague, but I frequently vape the same juice and it will start to taste different. Also, depending on the type of atomizer device you are using, the draw might seem like it's getting tight. I'm sometimes fooled though. I'll change a wick, coil or carto and think Geesh I should have changed this days ago! It tastes so much better now! ;)

Reactions: Romano Cheese

Rixsta

The Millionaire Vapor' The Enabler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2015
Somerset, UK
Don't under estimate the importance of good juice. You wouldn't buy a Ferrari, and try to run it on a tank of cheap cooking oil. With cartos change the coil when it tastes bad.
Very true, not sure if you have seen my picture of my diy stuff, come along way in a short amount of time, thanks again for your help, much appreciated :thumb:

Reactions: Romano Cheese

BShady

Verified Member
Jun 16, 2014
Cincinnati, OH USA
Like others have stated, you'll probably notice a change in flavor / vapor production / airflow characteristics that will alert you that it's time to change your coil. Once you get that indication once, when you open it up you'll see the coil looking black as well as (depending on your juice) some or all of your wick looking black and gunky. Often you can just pull the old wick out and then dry burn your coil a few times and use a pin or tweezers or other small implement to scrape the (now) ashes off of your coil. If you do that, just make sure you dry burn it enough to turn all the gunk to ash and then scrape all the ash off, then you'll be able to just rinse it a bit with water to wash away any ash particles left around, then dry it and re-wick and it should be good as new. Eventually you will have to replace the coil, but you can re-wick them several times before that.

Romano Cheese

Master Mod Womper
ECF Veteran
May 24, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
@Turtletimee I think everyone's responses here have been pretty on point. I haven't used an ISub, I saw PBusardo go through a review with it which he said was good, I highly HIGHLY recommend step your nicotine level down in that tank to 6mg. When I got my first subohm tank I poured some 12mg in and my first hit I thought I was going to cough to death. Just a heads up, learn from my mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread