what battery should i use in a ohm/fire meter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
As long as it is a 18650 or whatever that particular reader calls for, I don't think it makes a difference. I try and use an older 18650 that seems to have seen better days. Altho mine just took its last read. The display just went and I paid good $ for that(didn't last long). So from now on, I just plan on using a mod that I have set aside for building purposes. As long as I am careful and not hit the fire button at inappropriate times.
:)

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    but how do i know how much Wattage the meter is outputting?
    It's like a mech, with some safety features.
    Output is based on the voltage of the battery.
    A .5 ohm coil with a fully charged 4.2v battery will put out about 35.28 watts.
    A discharged 3.7v battery will put out about 27.38 watts
    The Coil Master 521 and GeekVape 521 have protection against shorts and don't fire a coil that is below .2 ohm.
    A proven 20amp battery would work fine for any builds fired on them.

Last edited:

Cheallaigh

Ultra Member
    Aug 13, 2016
    Georgian Bay, Ontario
    It's like a mech, with some safety features.
    Output is based on the voltage of the battery.
    A .5 ohm coil with a fully charged 4.2v battery will put out about 35.28 watts.
    A discharged 3.7v battery will put out about 27.38 watts
    The Coil Master 521 and GeekVape 521 have protection against shorts and don't fire a coil that is below .2 ohm.
    A proven 20amp battery would work fine for any builds fired on them.

ummm puff? the CM will fire below .2 ohms...

Reactions: Eskie

anavidfan

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 14, 2012
    U.S.
    I got one of the CoilMaster ones. I got it from Amazon, good price, free shipping etc.

I use 28g 317L SS and found that it was hard to get a nice smooth pulse from it and kept popping my coils.

I did a bit of research and apparently its common on thinner wires. I was kinda bummed as I got it to save my box mod from the wear and tear of constant building and dry burning my atties.

Fortunately since I bought it at Amazon I was able to return it for a full refund.

I think it will be fine for thicker wires and wrapped exotic wires.

I did find a couple of real cheap reg boxes in the classifieds so Im hoping that those will work out fine for my building/ cleaning needs.

I liked the CoilMaster, great weight, size and shape for building, just did not work out for my wimpy , boring coils.

puffon

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    I got one of the CoilMaster ones. I got it from Amazon, good price, free shipping etc.

I use 28g 317L SS and found that it was hard to get a nice smooth pulse from it and kept popping my coils.

I did a bit of research and apparently its common on thinner wires. I was kinda bummed as I got it to save my box mod from the wear and tear of constant building and dry burning my atties.

Fortunately since I bought it at Amazon I was able to return it for a full refund.

I did find a couple of real cheap reg boxes in the classifieds so Im hoping that those will work out fine for my building/ cleaning needs.

I liked the CoilMaster, great weight, size and shape for building, just did not work out for my wimpy , boring coils.
    What I do is use a discharged (<3.7v) battery. Keeps the wattage being applied lower.
    28g Kanthal holds up for me, haven't tried SS tho.

Firestorm

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 25, 2012
    Chicagoland
    I have a bunch of older AW IMR 18650 batteries that I no longer use in my mods because I favor my larger capacity and higher amperage LG HG2 and Sony VTC5 batteries. I use these older batteries in my Coil Master 521 Tab because it doesn't take a lot of power to read resistance and my non-sub-ohm builds also don't require a lot of power.

Eskie

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 6, 2016
    NY

I'm surprised. I frequently build with simple 28G 316L and never had a problem with the 521 not firing smoothly. I don't blame you for returning it if you were having that issue, I'm just surprised it did. I just used it not 15 minutes ago to dry burn and rewick a tank due for a cleanup.

Reactions: anavidfan

anavidfan

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 14, 2012
    U.S.
    I'm surprised. I frequently build with simple 28G 316L and never had a problem with the 521 not firing smoothly. I don't blame you for returning it if you were having that issue, I'm just surprised it did. I just used it not 15 minutes ago to dry burn and rewick a tank due for a cleanup.

Yeah, it fired up strong, instant red coils. Im used to using my mechs and lately my YIHI box that is set at 12.5watts. Im used to lightly pulsing my new coils and either squeezing them into shape etc. The CM Tab seemed a bit stiffer and I had to press it and boom red coils. With my box mod or my Provaris its such a smooth heat up and I have to press the button ever so lightly Im so used to that.

Maybe it was the freshly charged 18650 and the button being different that made me heat them too fast and pop. I have problems with my hands , especially the thumbs, it was probably "me" and since I paid so much I probably jumped the gun and returned it too soon. Or I got the one in a billion that had a fault. I tend to attract those . :) Thats why when I buy anything electronic , I buy from Amazon so I am safe and know I wont be hassled for exchanges or returns.

I have a couple of boxes coming in that only cost me a few bucks for the shipping, so Im hoping those will work out for what I need.

Reactions: Eskie

KenD

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 20, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    kennetgranholm.com
    Yeah, it fired up strong, instant red coils. Im used to using my mechs and lately my YIHI box that is set at 12.5watts. Im used to lightly pulsing my new coils and either squeezing them into shape etc. The CM Tab seemed a bit stiffer and I had to press it and boom red coils. With my box mod or my Provaris its such a smooth heat up and I have to press the button ever so lightly Im so used to that.

Maybe it was the freshly charged 18650 and the button being different that made me heat them too fast and pop. I have problems with my hands , especially the thumbs, it was probably "me" and since I paid so much I probably jumped the gun and returned it too soon. Or I got the one in a billion that had a fault. I tend to attract those . :) Thats why when I buy anything electronic , I buy from Amazon so I am safe and know I wont be hassled for exchanges or returns.

I have a couple of boxes coming in that only cost me a few bucks for the shipping, so Im hoping those will work out for what I need.
    No regulation in the 521 and ss has low resistance, so it's likely that the power simply was too high. Puffon's trick of using a partly discharged battery is a good idea.

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

Reactions: anavidfan
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread