What do you call this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloudd

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Microcoil, paralleled with 28 gauge and 30 gauge twisted, 7 wraps.
Is there a fancy name for these?

Oh BTW it turns out to be a two stage heater, 28 gauge first, then 30, then inside out.... try it and pulse it, it's kinda fun to watch actually.

Single coil with tight airdraw (2mm) produces quite decent vapour and good flavour (I can taste unwashed cotton, bleh). haven't got the dexterity to put in duals yet.
P_20150819_195520_HDR.jpg

Cloudd

ECF Veteran
pretty neat. No idea if it has a name. 28 heats up quick, start delivering vapour and helping to warm up the twisted coil that then kicks out more vapour! Love it!!

Looking forward to build a dual setting and go to the vape shop and blow clouds. The vapers here in my place they.... are all box-tank goers, tootle-puffers mostly below 25 watts. And they all use Kanger subtanks because it's the trend now.... Going mech in a regulated age made me feel.... STEAMPUNK OUTLAW hahahahaha

Cloudd

ECF Veteran
pretty neat. No idea if it has a name. 28 heats up quick, start delivering vapour and helping to warm up the twisted coil that then kicks out more vapour! Love it!!

P_20150819_222546_HDR_1.jpg
So curiosity got me. But then this build only gives good flavor but no big clouds like I would expect.

Reactions: infamousj012

Cloudd

ECF Veteran
Yeah fast and hot for makingclouds, warm and slower for flavor.

Think food. Fast food may provide instant gratification. But slow cooked food tastes better.

Made one side this (28//30 twisted) and the other side parallel 28, both macro. Hits quite hard but still not used to that warm flavour choking vape

Cloudd

ECF Veteran
I made something very similar (dual twisted Nichrome coil wrapped in parallel with 26g Nichrome) came to 0.19 ohms. The flavour is intense and I'm getting some very decent clouds. Would stick another one in, but I run a regulated mod at the minute.

Bet it would be a killer vape on temperature control. I'm getting flavour but not much vapour on that build, especially when compared to a 22 gauge (I can't even 22)

Cloudd

ECF Veteran
Looking forward to build a dual setting and go to the vape shop and blow clouds. The vapers here in my place they.... are all box-tank goers, tootle-puffers mostly below 25 watts. And they all use Kanger subtanks because it's the trend now.... Going mech in a regulated age made me feel.... STEAMPUNK OUTLAW hahahahaha

My new experiment, 26 double barrel, vertical macro. (I like to call it 26dB lol)

Not the prettiest yet, what do you think?
P_20150909_143212_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• P_20150909_143124_HDR.jpg
    P_20150909_143124_HDR.jpg
    456.5 KB · Views: 44

jersey_emt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2009
New Jersey, USA
www.whichgun.com

These types of builds are commonly referred to as "staged heating coils", because like you describe, one of the parallel strands heats up faster than the other. These builds are a great way to help reduce the long ramp-up of builds with a lot of wire mass.

Next time, try the reverse -- twisted 28 gauge wire paralleled with a single strand of 30 gauge wire. There isn't much difference in mass between a 28 gauge single strand and twisted 30 gauge wire. A larger difference will make the "staging" effect more pronounced.

I've done a few builds like this, and the best one I made was a 24/26 twist (one strand of 24 gauge and one strand of 26 gauge twisted together), paralleled with a single strand of 28 gauge wire. It was 6 wraps with a 2.5 mm ID, but I can't remember exactly what the resistance was (but it was fairly low, somewhere around 0.3 ohms).

Reactions: Cloudd

Retro138

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2014
Philadelphia

Oh BTW it turns out to be a two stage heater, 28 gauge first, then 30, then inside out.... try it and pulse it, it's kinda fun to watch actually.

Single coil with tight airdraw (2mm) produces quite decent vapour and good flavour (I can taste unwashed cotton, bleh). haven't got the dexterity to put in duals yet.
View attachment 481938
"Staged heating coil" is what most builders would call that

Reactions: Cloudd

Cloudd

ECF Veteran
These types of builds are commonly referred to as "staged heating coils", because like you describe, one of the parallel strands heats up faster than the other. These builds are a great way to help reduce the long ramp-up of builds with a lot of wire mass.

Next time, try the reverse -- twisted 28 gauge wire paralleled with a single strand of 30 gauge wire. There isn't much difference in mass between a 28 gauge single strand and twisted 30 gauge wire. A larger difference will make the "staging" effect more pronounced.

I've done a few builds like this, and the best one I made was a 24/26 twist (one strand of 24 gauge and one strand of 26 gauge twisted together), paralleled with a single strand of 28 gauge wire. It was 6 wraps with a 2.5 mm ID, but I can't remember exactly what the resistance was (but it was fairly low, somewhere around 0.3 ohms).

It's a bit strange tho, my 30 twisted ramps up slower than the 28 single strand

Retro138

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2014
Philadelphia

View attachment 481938
@Cloudd Btw, I was looking at your build again, which is immaculate btw and noticed your insulator looks a little weird, it looks like it's got a warp in it.

Cloudd

ECF Veteran
@Cloudd Btw, I was looking at your build again, which is immaculate btw and noticed your insulator looks a little weird, it looks like it's got a warp in it.

Thanks hehe......
The insulator is too long (FT clone yo) took it out, trim it, put it back, it leaks down the positive pin, boil the whole thing, done, good to go no leaking.

Reactions: Retro138

jersey_emt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2009
New Jersey, USA
www.whichgun.com
It's a bit strange tho, my 30 twisted ramps up slower than the 28 single strand

Not strange at all. Twisted 30 gauge wire is very close to a single strand of 27 gauge wire, so yes, it will take longer to heat up than the single strand of 28 gauge wire.

It is just an approximation, and will vary based on how tightly you twist the wire, but to get an idea of what twisted wire will perform like, subtract three from the gauge.

Twisted 32 gauge wire is like a single strand of 29 gauge wire
Twisted 30 gauge wire is like a single strand of 27 gauge wire
Twisted 28 gauge wire is like a single strand of 25 gauge wire
Twisted 26 gauge wire is like a single strand of 23 gauge wire
Twisted 24 gauge wire is like a single strand of 21 gauge wire

Cloudd

ECF Veteran
Not strange at all. Twisted 30 gauge wire is very close to a single strand of 27 gauge wire, so yes, it will take longer to heat up than the single strand of 28 gauge wire.

It is just an approximation, and will vary based on how tightly you twist the wire, but to get an idea of what twisted wire will perform like, subtract three from the gauge.

Hey if you're free, try this for me. It's a single strand 26 twisted with 26 dual twisted, well it doesn't fit my derringer clone post holes so yeah... maybe use 28?
P_20150929_100221_HDR_1.jpg

Cloudd

ECF Veteran

Lol I think twisted messes made that wire build already

BeerGolfClouds

ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2014
Orange County, CA, USA
View attachment 481963 So curiosity got me. But then this build only gives good flavor but no big clouds like I would expect.

That's too much wire mass for a mech to heat quickly enough for cloudage IMO. If I'm building coils with a whole mess of wire in them, I use single coils on mechs and save the dual coils for a dual-18650 regulated box mod.

What was the final resistance for this build? With that, we could figure out the heat capacity numbers which will help with future builds using the same wire configuration.

Cloudd

ECF Veteran
That's too much wire mass for a mech to heat quickly enough for cloudage IMO. If I'm building coils with a whole mess of wire in them, I use single coils on mechs and save the dual coils for a dual-18650 regulated box mod.

What was the final resistance for this build? With that, we could figure out the heat capacity numbers which will help with future builds using the same wire configuration.

Don't recall, I think about 0.4 for duals? I did a vertical 2.5mm, 4 wraps, yup that chugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread