Status
Not open for further replies.

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
So I lost a bet. Admittedly, it was with myself, but rules are rules so I thought I'd eat some crow and share.

I recently celebrated my vapeversary with a new LP Grand and an RM4. I also picked up a dual coil RM3 and some sundry other things.

All weekend long I've been having a vape off between the RM4, RM3, and the old faithful RM2. Heading in, I bet that the RM4 would dominate for vapor production and the RM2 would win for best flavour.

The setup:

RM4 - dual 28 gauge microcoils netting out at .5 Ohms
RM3 - same (apparently I can make consistent coils. Who knew?)
RM2 - single 28 gauge microcoil at .7 Ohms
Cotton wicks throughout

All were on upgraded Grands; all were used with the same 8 mg juice (Check Out My Goodies - a Canadian candied licorice blend; sounds dreadful, tastes great in actuality).

The verdict (as I air the vapor out of the house) - the RM3 wins.

I never thought it would keep up to the RM4 for volume with no AFC (specifically, no wide-bore air holes), and I thought nothing could unseat the RM2 for flavour. Wrong and wrong.

This little beauty came to kick ... and chew bubble gum, and then promptly forgot the bubble gum at home.

For all you RM2 fans out there, you might just want to give the RM3 a go. It's 90% as easy as the RM2 to set up, and it's small chamber (the secret for flavour per the mod master himself) delivers flavour in volume with the added ooomph of a dual coil setup. The slide-on cap is also nice and tight, and less fiddly than the screw-on RM2 cap.

As for the RM4, don't get me wrong - it's a tidy little atty that also delivers; just a notch less flavour and no appreciable advantage in vapour production over the RM3 (with my setups and vaping style - YMMV).

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to place an order for a couple more RM3's and some botox for this stupid grin.

Rat2chat2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2013
North Carolina
congratswave.gif
to you Papa_Lazarou . Love reading all the new reviews. I have been so pleased with the rm2, I just can't imagine it getting better. Happy vaping to you. :)

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
Thanks for posting!
'
I was kind of surprised to hear you liked the 3 better than the 4.....might have to give the 3 a go......dual coil goodness w/o the LP requirement....NICE!

I was surprised myself. The RM4 is more like a "traditional" RDA. The best way I can describe it is as being "fatter" than the RM2/3 - you're just aware of the larger chamber and even with the AFC turned low, it's airier. The RM3 feels just like the RM2 (which would be a good thing for many in Reoville) but with much more oomph with the native dual coil setup.

I do like the RM4. I just prefer the 3 (that would make it the... um.. bestest of the three). They're all good.

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
If it's any consolation, I took my Atomic, (RM4), that I modded and drilled an air hole opposite the smallest single hole, (1/16" I think), to match and was much better vape for duals on mine. It seemed the smallest air holes for dual on it were just a little too airy for my mouth to lung hits...

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
If it's any consolation, I took my Atomic, (RM4), that I modded and drilled an air hole opposite the smallest single hole, (1/16" I think), to match and was much better vape for duals on mine. It seemed the smallest air holes for dual on it were just a little too airy for my mouth to lung hits...

Yeah, I considered doing this (still am), but as for out-of-the-box performance, the RM3 gets the edge. I am, however, looking forward to hours of A/B testing of the two to confirm or denounce my initial findings :)

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
Ditto above question but I guess there's no time like now on learning how to build a dual coil and is the draw tighter similar to the RM2? I hate airy, cool draws.

Can't comment on the single coil version of the RM3, but I don't think there would be much of an upgrade from the RM2 (which is pretty... well... awesome).

The draw on the RM3 feels almost exactly like the RM2 - really (to me, at least), it's a dual coil RM2 (again, referring to the dual coil version).

AngiBe

Vapeaholic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2013
Indy, IN
Can't comment on the single coil version of the RM3, but I don't think there would be much of an upgrade from the RM2 (which is pretty... well... awesome).

The draw on the RM3 feels almost exactly like the RM2 - really (to me, at least), it's a dual coil RM2 (again, referring to the dual coil version).

Ok thanks so much and one more question-sry to thread bomb but I have searched and searched and not finding it. I have the LP mini, 18490 batts and got it new from Rob about a month ago. never thought I'd have a mech (helloooo) and never wanted to sub ohm, well that has changed too after getting this little ball of fire called the REO!

So, with 18490 batts and i think I have a sub ohm kit already installed (on the newer REOs-and my spring/contacts are gold color-I think that's the sub ohm kit), how low is safe to go on this? And if I got the RM3, dual coil set up, the lowest I can go ohm wise would be the same as the RM2 anyway,, correct? I'm just trying to figure out the warmest, most TH I can get on this.

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
Ok thanks so much and one more question-sry to thread bomb but I have searched and searched and not finding it. I have the LP mini, 18490 batts and got it new from Rob about a month ago. never thought I'd have a mech (helloooo) and never wanted to sub ohm, well that has changed too after getting this little ball of fire called the REO!

So, with 18490 batts and i think I have a sub ohm kit already installed (on the newer REOs-and my spring/contacts are gold color-I think that's the sub ohm kit), how low is safe to go on this? And if I got the RM3, dual coil set up, the lowest I can go ohm wise would be the same as the RM2 anyway,, correct? I'm just trying to figure out the warmest, most TH I can get on this.

Okay, couple of things.

If you have a gold spring and firing lever, then you have the upgrade.

I've heard that you should probably stick to .5 Ohms and above even with the upgrade, however I've run .4 with no obvious adverse effects.

Now, the thing you want to watch is the current of your battery. I don't know the make of the ones you have, but a typical 490 has a C rating of 10. That means a safe continuous discharge rate of about 11 Amps (assuming 1100 MaH). Given a fresh battery (so about 4.2 Volts) and a .5 Ohm coil, you're looking at ~8.5 Amps. Some would say that that is maybe pushing it, others would say that it's fine since what we do is not continuous and the battery voltage is likely to spend most of its cycle at <4 V.

So net of this, I would probably not go lower than .6-.7 on a mini, but that's me. And you are correct - it does not matter which atty or how many coils you use to get there.

I can say that an RM3 dual setup throws more vapor and runs warmer.

AngiBe

Vapeaholic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2013
Indy, IN
Okay, couple of things.

If you have a gold spring and firing lever, then you have the upgrade.

I've heard that you should probably stick to .5 Ohms and above even with the upgrade, however I've run .4 with no obvious adverse effects.

Now, the thing you want to watch is the current of your battery. I don't know the make of the ones you have, but a typical 490 has a C rating of 10. That means a safe continuous discharge rate of about 11 Amps (assuming 1100 MaH). Given a fresh battery (so about 4.2 Volts) and a .5 Ohm coil, you're looking at ~8.5 Amps. Some would say that that is maybe pushing it, others would say that it's fine since what we do is not continuous and the battery voltage is likely to spend most of its cycle at <4 V.

So net of this, I would probably not go lower than .6-.7 on a mini, but that's me. And you are correct - it does not matter which atty or how many coils you use to get there.

I can say that an RM3 dual setup throws more vapor and runs warmer.

Ok cool and thanks! I always use AW IMR batts from RTD and got some brand news ones a month ago. I just wanted to try .6-.8Ω. Nothing crazy but just a little under 1.0 to give it a try and wanted to be sure my set up was ok for that.

Henry Etta

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
I've been running .5 ohm dual coils in the RM3 on my mini (AW 18490s) for about a week, and it's my favorite of everything I've tried so far. I do think getting 2 coils in there (28g) is a PITA, but worth the extra effort. The draw on the stock airholes is perfect for me. I honestly think it's better than the Cyclone, and about half the $$. The only complaint I have is the squonk hole on only one side... seems I sometimes don't get one side of the wicks saturated enough, and I've burned them.

sbmqcy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 5, 2013
Quincy, IL, USA
I've been running .5 ohm dual coils in the RM3 on my mini (AW 18490s) for about a week, and it's my favorite of everything I've tried so far. I do think getting 2 coils in there (28g) is a PITA, but worth the extra effort. The draw on the stock airholes is perfect for me. I honestly think it's better than the Cyclone, and about half the $$. The only complaint I have is the squonk hole on only one side... seems I sometimes don't get one side of the wicks saturated enough, and I've burned them.

So you're running the single airhole version of the rm3?

Sent from my mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread