What does your coil look like before it's changed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChelsB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2016
California
This is a little different from how often do you change your coil (but that's welcome too). At what point do you stop dry burning the gunk off and just replace or rebuild a new coil?
I vape exclusively sweet juice except for the one menthol I have in rotation and it wreaks havoc on my coils. Would you still use this coil that looks like this after several dry burns?
d3b8401bc0cd20c9f7d70292d26b5a4e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
When you dry burn your coils, do you brush/blow them off? These look as though they have some ash still crusted on the coils.

Alternative answer: if it still glows properly, and the vape tastes okay, carry on...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

ChelsB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2016
California
When you dry burn your coils, do you brush/blow them off? These look as though they have some ash still crusted on the coils.

Alternative answer: if it still glows properly, and the vape tastes okay, carry on...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I tried raking the coil with ceramic tweezers but nothing came off

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
I went to Home Depot and got a small wire brush for cleaning flaking paint on metal pipes. Check the plumbing section or ask. Mine has 1/2 x 1.5 x 1/2 inch deep bristles. It had a 6" wooden handle before I cut that off. I lightly brush the coil when I change the wick.

I hope I described it well enough for you to find one. Works great.

Thumpszilla

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I use a brass brush for cleaning guns to clean my coils after dryburn. The bristles are stiff enough to clean the coil but limber enough not to bend it. I change my coils all the time but I enjoy building coils. However before I change them I dryburn and clean the old one and it goes in a plastic organizer and I mentally rate them as to how they vaped so I can go back to them.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

ChelsB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2016
California
I went to Home Depot and got a small wire brush for cleaning flaking paint on metal pipes. Check the plumbing section or ask. Mine has 1/2 x 1.5 x 1/2 inch deep bristles. It had a 6" wooden handle before I cut that off. I lightly brush the coil when I change the wick.

I hope I described it well enough for you to find one. Works great.

Thank you, yes, I can picture it. I'll definitely be getting one!

wheelie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2014
Ont. Canada
www.independentont.com
Dry burn mine till it glows red a few times and I blow the gunk off. Depends if I build new coils to test but mostly with a good coil I will run it till the vape changes with it. Coil tells me when it needs changed. Sometimes taste is off and other times it just burns through wicks or constant dry hits no matter how I wick it. Old coils go into garbage jar so I can see how many I go through in a year.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
I found a small dental pic at one of those warehouse liquidators. Its great for scraping cooties off a coil. I just barely make the coil glow, scrape then repeat until I'm satisfied. That coil looks like its still got carbon that won't burn off but needs a scraping. Trying to burn the carbon off you'll over dryburn and maybe scorch the positive insulator leading to a permanent burnt plastic taste. When in doubt..replace the coil.

Reactions: ChelsB

Whiskeywarrior

ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2017
I have yet to run a coil to death. The longest I have run a coil is three weeks. I run them till I make something I like better. I like to build so I am constantly trying out new coils. I have a decent size coil graveyard. Alot of them also just go to the trash bin by accident. My absolute favorite so far for flavor and plumage is staple aliens. But when I do run them for a while I wash them with a brush first then dry burn and another wash, they always come out really nice that way.

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA
I rewick maybe twice a week or whenever I see the wick has turned brown under the coil. I make my own juice and never really have a problem with gunk (even though I use sweetener quite often). I'm thinking it's cause I vape at high wattages (150-220). If I do have gunk on the coils (and even if I do t) I dry burn till glowing orange and fix the coils if need be. While coils are still orange I will use filtered water in a unicorn bottle and quench the coils. I've seen gunk come off right away (if there was any) and what you have left over is a clean cooled down coil. Then just rewick as usual. Hope this helps.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
I'm just surprised this coil looks like this after less than a week of use . And why is it not always white after dry burning? Is it all dependent on the flavor of the juice?

Do you rinse your coil after dry burning? I always rinse my coil before and after and they look clean and glow nicely afterwards. And they last a long time. I don't use brushes or any other implements to scrub my coil--I don't want to disturb the layer of aluminum oxide on the coil. And I do change coils often. Kanthal is inexpensive and I like a clean coil and clean wick.

If you want to use a brush, those tiny dental brushes are perfect for minor cleaning jobs. An old (clean) mascara brush is great, too. :)

s-l225.jpg

I use very clean and clear juices, almost flavorless, so your mileage may vary.

Last edited:

ChelsB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2016
California
Do you rinse your coil after dry burning? I always rinse my coil before and after and they look clean and glow nicely afterwards. And they last a long time. I don't use brushes or any other implements to scrub my coil--I don't want to disturb the layer of aluminum oxide on the coil. And I do change coils often. Kanthal is inexpensive and I like a clean coil and clean wick.

If you want to use a brush, those tiny dental brushes are perfect for minor cleaning jobs. An old (clean) mascara brush is great, too. :)

s-l225.jpg

I use very clean and clear juices, almost flavorless, so your mileage may vary.

I, on the other hand, use very sweet juice. No, I haven't rinsed them or tried a brush, I will next time!

Reactions: Katya

ChelsB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2016
California
I rewick maybe twice a week or whenever I see the wick has turned brown under the coil. I make my own juice and never really have a problem with gunk (even though I use sweetener quite often). I'm thinking it's cause I vape at high wattages (150-220). If I do have gunk on the coils (and even if I do t) I dry burn till glowing orange and fix the coils if need be. While coils are still orange I will use filtered water in a unicorn bottle and quench the coils. I've seen gunk come off right away (if there was any) and what you have left over is a clean cooled down coil. Then just rewick as usual. Hope this helps.

I don't think it has to do with wattage. I vape at around 15w and my coils must be changed once a week. I think it's the juice

schatz

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2014
Tucson, Arizona , U.S,A
I have been rewicking once a week, usually have 6-8 in rotation with different flavors. I usually run the tanks and coills through a 15 minute run in my ultrasonic cleaner and then blow dry them with my compressor. I usually can make a coil last a couple months. Highly recommend an ultrasonic cleaner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread