What is in the smoke from a dry coil?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodNews!

Moved On
Oct 25, 2013
Vaping, USA
The VG theory is (now) that when you flood a new, non-torched coil with a liquid as thick as VG, it temporarily halts the burning off of Kanthal oils through lower vaporization temperature, which actually makes the coil taste clean as a whistle, until the coil becomes slightly less flooded.

It's why my iClear 30 and Fluxo were performing so well, I was using a thick, VG juice that was delaying the burning-off of metallic residues and stuff until like 3 days later. Finally, I tasted it, as the coil was running drier. A dry coil shouldn't taste metallic. At most, it should taste rather burnt, like the organic gunk around it, or like hot air. A really metallic, sort of oily machine taste (and smell, in the vapor) is not really normal.

I mean, I'm sure you can taste some amount of metal on a coil when it's drier, but not like this. Not like what I tend to taste. Also, I believe that this oil can sort of "blend" with layers of taste that organic gunk on the coils can produce, and cause sort of a "singed sock" taste, one that's partially synthetic and acidic as I describe, and partly organic, like VG gunk or something. It's a little too synthetic and metallic to be just organic gunk. I'd believe a torched coil could handle these little instances of gunk and hotspots or whatever, in a better, safer way.

Just about the only thing that could prove this theory wrong is that if I just don't like the taste of clean metal or the gunk of artificial flavorings, VG, or PG. It could be that there's some sort of synthetic chemical in those things that I just hate. But my drier vapes are also coming off a bit to "mechanical" for that. It's also a dark mechanical, like an oil, and not so much like a simple metal wire. Simple metal wire, heated up, would probably just deliver some slightly acidic particles into the vape, not much of a taste, but more a feel.

I get that feel sometimes too. But very, very, very, very rarely. It takes an extremely hot coil for me to sense that. With an extremely hot, dry coil, I'll feel like that "acidic" effect of sucking on a Nickle or something, but that's been so rare that it doesn't concern me any.

jameth

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2011
Southern Utah
Most of the time you see smoke coming off a kanthal coil that you rolled yourself, during the dry burn / after wrapping your coil, is your own sweat and oils that came off your fingers during the wrapping.

That same oil and skin flakes can get into your silica or other wick material.

Pre torch some kanthal, and wrap it, you will generally still get this effect, because you are depositing your own oils onto the wire and/or wick during wrapping and manipulating the coil.

Besides all this, has it really taken you 4 years of vaping to figure out that super heating a dry coil and taking a hit is a bad idea?

Oh one more thing, your worried about this stuff, but your still using mass produced garbage Chinese clearos?!

I won't tell you to "tilt your clearo" I will ask you what the hell you are doing using a clearo....

Last edited:

stillnotsmoking

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2013
GA, USA
Most of the time you see smoke coming off a kanthal coil that you rolled yourself during the dry burn, after wrapping your coil, is your own sweat and oils that came off your fingers during the wrapping.

That same oil and skin flakes can get into your silica or other wick material.

Pre torch a coil, and wrap it, you will generally still get this effect, because you are depositing your own oils onto the wire and wick.

I would have to agree with this.

patkin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2012
Arizona USA
GoodNews, let me first say that I'm speaking most respectfully in what I propose. I've read several of your threads. At first, I thought you must have OCD (remember I'm being respectful here) but later thought you just have a very curious attitude... that of someone interested in science. But being interested in science and being a scientist are two different things. It seems to me, that with the intense curiosity you have, it would bring you a lot of pleasure to invest in scientific equipment. So far you're depending on mere physical senses which vary from time to time in the individual and deviate greatly between people. I'm sure there are many of us here, myself included, who would be most interested in any findings derived from actual scientific studies using the proper equipment (in this case actually capturing and analyzing the burn-off contents.) It would greatly benefit our community and, I believe, bring you great pleasure.

minimalsaint

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Michigan
GoodNews, let me first say that I'm speaking most respectfully in what I propose. I've read several of your threads. At first, I thought you must have OCD (remember I'm being respectful here) but later thought you just have a very curious attitude... that of someone interested in science. But being interested in science and being a scientist are two different things. It seems to me, that with the intense curiosity you have, it would bring you a lot of pleasure to invest in scientific equipment. So far you're depending on mere physical senses which vary from time to time in the individual and deviate greatly between people. I'm sure there are many of us here, myself included, who would be most interested in any findings derived from actual scientific studies using the proper equipment (in this case actually capturing and analyzing the burn-off contents.) It would greatly benefit our community and, I believe, bring you great pleasure.

I also respectfully submit:
You might not want to take up skydiving.

Good luck with your vaping endeavors.

Diogenes

Moved On
Nov 5, 2013
Justice, IL
When concerning home-made science, when you find an conclusive pattern that behaves a certain way %100 of the time across the board for that particular set of factors, then that's what old-fashioned, good science is. It's not modern science, but it makes for one heck of a person who, beyond factual IQ, indeed showcases signs of an extraordinarily high "common sense" IQ. Which is what my IQ test proved. I'm horrible at math. I'm horrible at science. My reasoning skills, though, are, as recorded by the State itself, higher than most any human being on the planet. Quentin Tarantino has about the IQ I do, according to some tests he took. Quentin Tarantino failed highschool. Shows that factual IQ and reasoning IQ are two different things.

That's all I ever meant. I'm not factually smart in any sort of real way. Not at all. Reasoning wise? I really am probably the smartest vaper here when it comes to that. I can reason something like it's no tomorrow, and constantly be right in the very, very, very, very, very distant end, no matter how wrong I am in times before it, the things I reason, and can be wrong about, lead to conclusions that I eventually am right about all along. Even if it's just in the fact that I'm right that "something" is wrong. I even have the taste buds to know it, which, in the position I'm standing in right now, is a BLESSING for my health!

That's very arrogant, if you ask me. In another thread, I provided my own documented IQ, yet you only allude to yours. I tend to believe this is truly malarkey, what with all the spelling errors, (my spellcheck lights up like a Christmas Tree when I quote you), and the fact that you continually post percentages like %49. It's 49%, the percent sign, "%," comes after the number, not before.

Ok, now with that out of the way, I'd like to address several points you have made so far. By pre-torching our coils, we are cleaning them, getting rid of whatever contaminants we may have imparted on the coil with our fingers, whatever was on the wire and the wick. It also oxidizes the wire, adding a layer of carbon.

Now, you can pre-torch a clearo, in a manner of speaking. You simply start off at a lower voltage and pulse the coil, the DRY coil. Then you up the voltage a little, and repeat. It's not hard. This does indeed clean it of whatever those crazy Chinese people may have accidentally imparted on the coil during manufacturing. I'm surprised that you haven't heard of this, you've been vaping the cheap clearos for quite a bit longer than I, and I found several articles regarding this in mere seconds.

If you don't pre-torch your coil, whatever oils that remain on the wire will be vaporized once you take that first puff, no matter what liquid you use. For my example, we'll use PG, as it's the first liquid I looked up, and really, I've wasted enough time debunking you already.

PG vaporizes at a temp of 188.2 degrees Celsius (370 degrees Fahrenheit) at atmospheric pressure. It will also vaporize in a vacuum pressure of 0.129mm Hg at 77 degrees Fahrenheit (25 degrees Celsius). Since we're not vaping in a pure vacuum, the second set of temps is pretty much useless, but I've provided them for reference. As for oils, they have something called a "smoke point," the temp where the oil will burn, and turn to smoke. Most oils will hit their smoke point between the temps of 107 degrees Celsius and 271 degrees Celsius, or 225 degrees Fahrenheit and 520 degrees Fahrenheit.

As you can see, whatever oil that is on the wire and wick will be "burned off" within the first puff or two, wet or dry, contrary to what you said in post #9.
Nah, these oils wouldn't burn off at the temperatures the "first few puffs" have, unless your first few puffs are quite dry.

Speaking from personal experience here, I have tried both, not pulsing a new coil, and pulsing it to clean it. Both taste the exact same. The only time when the taste changes is when the heads get old, and poop builds up on the coil, or if I set the power way too high and burn everything in sight.

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
That's very arrogant, if you ask me. In another thread, I provided my own documented IQ, yet you only allude to yours. I tend to believe this is truly malarkey, what with all the spelling errors, (my spellcheck lights up like a Christmas Tree when I quote you), and the fact that you continually post percentages like %49. It's 49%, the percent sign, "%," comes after the number, not before.

Ok, now with that out of the way, I'd like to address several points you have made so far. By pre-torching our coils, we are cleaning them, getting rid of whatever contaminants we may have imparted on the coil with our fingers, whatever was on the wire and the wick. It also oxidizes the wire, adding a layer of carbon.

Now, you can pre-torch a clearo, in a manner of speaking. You simply start off at a lower voltage and pulse the coil, the DRY coil. Then you up the voltage a little, and repeat. It's not hard. This does indeed clean it of whatever those crazy Chinese people may have accidentally imparted on the coil during manufacturing. I'm surprised that you haven't heard of this, you've been vaping the cheap clearos for quite a bit longer than I, and I found several articles regarding this in mere seconds.

If you don't pre-torch your coil, whatever oils that remain on the wire will be vaporized once you take that first puff, no matter what liquid you use. For my example, we'll use PG, as it's the first liquid I looked up, and really, I've wasted enough time debunking you already.

PG vaporizes at a temp of 188.2 degrees Celsius (370 degrees Fahrenheit) at atmospheric pressure. It will also vaporize in a vacuum pressure of 0.129mm Hg at 77 degrees Fahrenheit (25 degrees Celsius). Since we're not vaping in a pure vacuum, the second set of temps is pretty much useless, but I've provided them for reference. As for oils, they have something called a "smoke point," the temp where the oil will burn, and turn to smoke. Most oils will hit their smoke point between the temps of 107 degrees Celsius and 271 degrees Celsius, or 225 degrees Fahrenheit and 520 degrees Fahrenheit.

As you can see, whatever oil that is on the wire and wick will be "burned off" within the first puff or two, wet or dry, contrary to what you said in post #9.

Speaking from personal experience here, I have tried both, not pulsing a new coil, and pulsing it to clean it. Both taste the exact same. The only time when the taste changes is when the heads get old, and poop builds up on the coil, or if I set the power way too high and burn everything in sight.

Dang...I found those stats this morning but I was afraid to post them due to the paralyzing fear that someone would come in and say something like, "Hey Asbestos...that only pertains to blah blah blah..." I chickened out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread