What's the point of super high wattage devices?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Maryland
have you ever tried 30ga in a rda with big airflow?
No, but I have tried 28 and 26. It doesn't make as much vapor and its a cool vape without the dense warm flavor. Maybe if I did a parallel or twisted coil with multiple strands of it, I could make it vape that way that I like. I generally use 22g or 24g... and often I do parallel strands if using the 24g. It's just my preference for a dense flavorful vape. I use mech mods, but my builds would put power output somewhere between 90 and 140 watt, depending on the voltage drop and battery level.

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
I didn't mean that anyone using a rebuildable device is going to have a build that works best with high watts. These rebuildables are the kind of devices that can easily be built to comfortably use that kind of power, though. I was simply trying to explain to the OP the answer to the question.

ETA: specifically, the power is there for people rebuilding RDAs with multiple low-gauge coils and lots of airflow.
I drip. at about 8 watts on a single coil dripper. RDA's come in all sizes like vehicles. If all you are wanting to do is haul the kids to school you do not need a kenworth to do it with, but you could use one for that I suppose. My Evods, Protanks and T3's are bored out and cotton wicked and make decent vapes for me. I use my dripper to test DIY. The dripper is too much of a pain in the .... to use for regular vaping. 2-3 puffs and then drip again. forget and oops tasting a bit burned, yech.

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    I drip. at about 8 watts on a single coil dripper. RDA's come in all sizes like vehicles. If all you are wanting to do is haul the kids to school you do not need a kenworth to do it with, but you could use one for that I suppose. My Evods, Protanks and T3's are bored out and cotton wicked and make decent vapes for me. I use my dripper to test DIY. The dripper is too much of a pain in the .... to use for regular vaping. 2-3 puffs and then drip again. forget and oops tasting a bit burned, yech.

I hear ya brother -- I pretty much slowed way down on cloud chucking and using the RDA continuously --- I have been using a tank system more as I am getting lazy and sick of dripping and carrying a juice bottle around all of the time.

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 23, 2014
    Maryland
    Look. OP bought high watt device. It is uncomfortable at high watts with the tanks that he uses. Asks why the extra watts are there. The answer is that they are there for people building devices that work with the extra watts. That is the point of the watts. They let builders choose to do more complicated things. Whether or not these builds are wasteful of juice, or the clouds are not important to enjoy vaping, or multi-coil takes longer to build than single coil, or RDAs are not as fun as RTAs, or anything else is irrelevant. That was not the question.

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 16, 2015
    elsewhere
    I ordered a tube mech mod from FT along with another RDA and an ego adapter for the tube mod. I can still use my Evods and such on a tube mech mod and fix anything that goes wrong with it. It is NOT a hybrid type. I am also getting the stuff to make a dual 18650 mod with adjustable voltage output .6 - 6 volts. I can Subamp on that one or it will run up to 50 watts. 2 18650's should last quite a while at 8 watts worth of power.

Reactions: Cognator
    Look. OP bought high watt device. It is uncomfortable at high watts with the tanks that he uses. Asks why the extra watts are there. The answer is that they are there for people building devices that work with the extra watts. That is the point of the watts. They let builders choose to do more complicated things. Whether or not these builds are wasteful of juice, or the clouds are not important to enjoy vaping, or multi-coil takes longer to build than single coil, or RDAs are not as fun as RTAs, or anything else is irrelevant. That was not the question.
    @DaveSignal Yes I would have to agree with you. But then again, I have never built a single coil in my life. I just did a bunch of independent research on this entire subject and this was my understanding as well. In my particular case, indoor "drip" situations would be fine, but not for any of my outdoor activities. I live up here in Montana and this weather up here would not be very kind to that sort of affair or setup. This is just my 2 bit input > :rolleyes:

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA

Your answer is only satisfactory for a person who just wants to build on high wattage devices but it doesn't answer the question for people who think all of those watts are silly and a marketing gimmick (such as myself)

stalkster

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 10, 2015
    FL
    It's more of a build thing. Try vaping a 24/36g fused clapton at ~50watts and see for yourself. Here's another way 1.8ohm 28g build @15watts = 5.2volts, now lets look at a 22g .15ohm build @ 5.2volts =180watts. A 22g .15ohm coil heats up alot faster then say a .15ohm fused or staggered clapton. I personally vape contact .2ohm 24g dual coils around 60-80watts, to get the same performance from a 24g/36g fused clapton .2ohm single coil it take around 120watts.

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    It's more of a build thing. Try vaping a 24/36g fused clapton at ~50watts and see for yourself. Here's another way 1.8ohm 28g build @15watts = 5.2volts, now lets look at a 22g .15ohm build @ 5.2volts =180watts. A 22g .15ohm coil heats up alot faster then say a .15ohm fused or staggered clapton. I personally vape contact .2ohm 24g dual coils around 60-80watts, to get the same performance from a 24g/36g fused clapton .2ohm single coil it take around 120watts.

Understood and I can see that ---- but when is the power craze going to stop.....200W, perhaps 400W....there comes a point in time where too much is too much and becomes rather silly at least with our current human bodies only being able to take so much vapor and power. I say to each their own --- If people want to build and chuck at 200W then I say more power to them. I only know that at about 60W I can blow clouds well enough to where it certainly satisfies me.

I am not against people building for big mods but for me personally, I see no need in doing so.

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 11, 2013
    Eastern Ohio, USA
    I've only been vaping for a few months now and well have bought a couple different mod boxes and a handful of tanks all of varying capable(the boxes) and recommended (the tanks) wattages and I mean I just don't see why there are 150-200watt mod boxes out there. When I tried running at 80 watts the vapor turned unsatisfying hot.

Because people buy them? Why does it bother you? That's a serious question, not trolling. I'm not a cloud chucker (normally, except a few experiments here and there) but I certainly don't criticize someone's vaping choices.

because they are delusional and egocentric?

That's about as accurate as saying people that drive sub-100 hp cars to work are panicky little girls that couldn't handle a real car.

Neither of those statements represent the truth fairly.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread