What's the point of super high wattage devices?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Because people buy them? Why does it bother you? That's a serious question, not trolling. I'm not a cloud chucker (normally, except a few experiments here and there) but I certainly don't criticize someone's vaping choices.

That's about as accurate as saying people that drive sub-100 hp cars to work are panicky little girls that couldn't handle a real car.

Neither of those statements represent the truth fairly.

Brother, that was a joke

Reactions: Cognator

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Because people buy them? Why does it bother you? That's a serious question, not trolling. I'm not a cloud chucker (normally, except a few experiments here and there) but I certainly don't criticize someone's vaping choices.

That's about as accurate as saying people that drive sub-100 hp cars to work are panicky little girls that couldn't handle a real car.

Neither of those statements represent the truth fairly.

^^^ Always someone who can't understand what a joke is and gets their panties twisted around their neck :rolleyes:

Being a total noob here, I really should not engage in this thread, but because I am a firm believer in freedom of speech, I think that I will. This thread is most interesting because when it comes to this high wattage business, I was wondering about all of this stuff myself while surfing around the 'net. Since I am a fellow YouTuber, I ended up watching many videos and reviews concerning these various mods, designs, wattage ratings and so forth. What my research or understanding was showing me is this "wattage" stuff is directly related to the kind of tanks and coils that a person is using. Or maybe rebuilding and designing your own coils, etc.,. Truthfully, I am not against high wattage vaporizers no more than I am the ones that use far less wattage. I believe that a lot of this stuff is based upon a person's likes or dislikes and quite possibly their medical needs. I just know one thing for absolute fact. For the beginning vaporer, some of this "watt-itis" just might be a wee bit confusing. I don't think this is a good thing myself. Also my research was showing me that in the past 10 years or so, there has been many advances in technology, especially when it comes to this subject of electronics. I mean, for example, how many vaporizers existed 10 years ago that had "chips" inside of them where you could "flash the firmware"..?? Not very many, if none at all. Then, to top that off, there have been many improvements in the various coil designs and configurations as well. This factor, in itself, lends greatly to this situation of wattage. What is my point? Technology...that is my point. Some of these mod boxes are smarter than the people that are using them. This, of course, is a poor attempt at humor, but I think you catch my drift. In my case, I will fully admit that I am just too cheap to be experimenting with every "newer and improved" model of vaporizer that comes out. This is something that I just would not like to do. What helped me out more than anything in this world of vaping was this business of "dialing in" my needed wattage/voltage, my air flow and then the proper e-juice that got me off of USDA grade FDA certified death sticks. Well....something like that > :w00t:

Reactions: AXIOM_1

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Being a total noob here, I really should not engage in this thread, but because I am a firm believer in freedom of speech, I think that I will. This thread is most interesting because when it comes to this high wattage business, I was wondering about all of this stuff myself while surfing around the 'net. Since I am a fellow YouTuber, I ended up watching many videos and reviews concerning these various mods, designs, wattage ratings and so forth. What my research or understanding was showing me is this "wattage" stuff is directly related to the kind of tanks and coils that a person is using. Or maybe rebuilding and designing your own coils, etc.,. Truthfully, I am not against high wattage vaporizers no more than I am the ones that use far less wattage. I believe that a lot of this stuff is based upon a person's likes or dislikes and quite possibly their medical needs. I just know one thing for absolute fact. For the beginning vaporer, some of this "watt-itis" just might be a wee bit confusing. I don't think this is a good thing myself. Also my research was showing me that in the past 10 years or so, there has been many advances in technology, especially when it comes to this subject of electronics. I mean, for example, how many vaporizers existed 10 years ago that had "chips" inside of them where you could "flash the firmware"..?? Not very many, if none at all. Then, to top that off, there have been many improvements in the various coil designs and configurations as well. This factor, in itself, lends greatly to this situation of wattage. What is my point? Technology...that is my point. Some of these mod boxes are smarter than the people that are using them. This, of course, is a poor attempt at humor, but I think you catch my drift. In my case, I will fully admit that I am just too cheap to be experimenting with every "newer and improved" model of vaporizer that comes out. This is something that I just would not like to do. What helped me out more than anything in this world of vaping was this business of "dialing in" my needed wattage/voltage, my air flow and then the proper e-juice that got me off of USDA grade FDA certified death sticks. Well....something like that > :w00t:

Personally, I could give a rip less what anyone wants to use or build.. That's their business. But what I hate is people who can't take a joke when it is quite obvious to anyone that another person is joking. The problem with these types of people is they get all "wounded knee" when you slightly joke about what they use to vape on. Too .... and serious for my liking for sure.

rhelton

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 15, 2014
    spokane, wa
    Its just a hobbiest thing IMO. Everyone has their own trip and thats ok. My IPV D2 is my high power device. I have two 60w and one 30w and one mech. I dont need anything more than that. A 350J is on my list, the dna200 has caught my attention but ive had such a great experience with Yihi products that its kinda silly to get anything else.

but thats what I like.

zapped

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 30, 2009
    Richmond, Va...Right in Altria's back yard.
    I think this is a pretty good analogy.

Compare vapers to drivers.

Some people dont care what kind of car they drive as long as it works. Some people prize dependability. Others buy the most expensive car they can afford.

Cloud chasers are like the hot rodders of the vaping world.

IMO they are an offshoot of vaping, NOT the future of vaping.

And they are enjoying a lot of popularity right now because those high wattage mods burn through juice, batteries and coils faster than other mods.

This equals more profits for e-cig and e-juice suppliers.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 17, 2015
    1187 Hundertwasser
    100+ watt box mods are required for large coils like claptons, that have a lot of mass due to the amount of wire they are built from.

To put it (hopefully) into some sort of perspective:

A mechanical mod with a dual 24G build at 0.2 ohms with 5 wraps at 2.5mm ID will be using about 90 watts. To replicate this on a box mod will require the same wattage. The same 0.2 ohm resistance but built with clapton coils using 20G wire wrapped with 32G will have significantly more mass and surface area, and will require significantly more power to run.
    The two builds will be producing roughly the same amount of heat, but the later will require X amount more wattage run and will produce a lot more vapor.

Imagine a big truck, it cannot go particularly fast, but it can drag a battleship sideways across a salt flat.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 17, 2015
    1187 Hundertwasser
    I think 200watts is a good ending point but some ppl..

God's holy trousers that's mad. RDAs that make that wizzing noise are really silly, he needs some clown shoes and a party hat to complete the picture. I checked his channel and he has a 1 kilowatt build...

Last edited:
    Personally, I could give a rip less what anyone wants to use or build.. That's their business. But what I hate is people who can't take a joke when it is quite obvious to anyone that another person is joking. The problem with these types of people is they get all "wounded knee" when you slightly joke about what they use to vape on. Too .... and serious for my liking for sure.
    "Wounded Knee"......LOL!! :w00t:

Completely Average

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 21, 2014
    Suburbs of Dallas

You're an arrogant S.O.B. (That was just as much of a joke as what you said.)

As for myself, I've got a car with 440hp even though I rarely go over half throttle in it. I've also got a 200W mod. I see no reason why I should buy a lower wattage mod even if I never use the higher wattage. I won't save money by using a lower watt mod, so why buy one when I could have a higher watt mod for the same price?

Tell me, if you don't drive your car with the throttle floored all of the time does that mean you want a car with less horsepower? Do you feel like you should only buy 60hp cars if you do 99% of your driving at less than 50% throttle? If not, why do you view higher watt mods any differently than you view your own car purchases?

I'll bet that virtually every person here has a car with more horsepower than they use 99+% of the time they drive.

tj99959

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    They are for more advanced rebuildable devices, of which you are probably not into yet.

They really aren't more "advanced", they're just designed for higher wattage.

The bottom line is that vendors push high wattage because you use 4 times as much e-liquid to get the same amount of nicotine.

Last edited:

edyle

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 23, 2013
    Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
    I've only been vaping for a few months now and well have bought a couple different mod boxes and a handful of tanks all of varying capable(the boxes) and recommended (the tanks) wattages and I mean I just don't see why there are 150-200watt mod boxes out there. When I tried running at 80 watts the vapor turned unsatisfying hot.

Bigger coils require more watts to work.

Example:
    Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators
    a 0.5 ohm, 22 gauge, kanthal-a1, dual coil, 13 wraps at 4mm, requires about 200 watts at around 10 volts

When you tried running at 80 watts, you were putting too much power to a coil that works at lower wattage.

VCross

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 6, 2015
    Yucaipa, California
    Why do you need 200W? So you can actually fire this amazing octo-coil of course.

vcF4yTV.jpg

sd3614

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 7, 2015
    MIDWEST USA
    Some people are just more "cutting edge" minded and I don't mean Elitist.

They are often the type that the latest Smart Phone/Computer Tech/Audio/Vehicle/High End TV appeals to. Maybe there a car enthusiast or at least one who appreciates the finer things. When I found not smoking introduced me to another tech in my life I embraced it vs. just seeing vaping as a tool like a hammer.

Here is my last comparison but I feel it is valid.

When everyone was marveling at VHS movies I was enjoying these movies on digital Laser Disc. Now most people thought I was nuts and did not appreciate it *BUT* years later they sure did embrace great picture/no re-wind/chapter selecting when it was shrunk down and called "DVD". Then I got a "plasma" TV and "high definition VHS" (you probably never heard of it as it was a blip on tech radar) and people again thought I was crazy.

Of course most everyone today watches HDTV, HD movies Bluray on a digital flat screen TV, but I was enjoying similar things in 2002 that people today are just now enjoying OR CHOOSING NOT TO because they don't even own a TV.

Nothing is right or wrong, everyone has to decide for themselves what makes them happy. I tried to quit smoking and vape a few times the last year to two, but the "tech" to attract my mind and a vaping experience that would eventually get me to quit was not available to just this year.

We have not seen "crazy" yet, this is the tip of the ice burg.

maxell_audio_tape.jpg

2-motorola-030413.jpg

Last edited:

rhelton

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 15, 2014
    spokane, wa
    100+ watt box mods are required for large coils like claptons, that have a lot of mass due to the amount of wire they are built from.

To put it (hopefully) into some sort of perspective:

A mechanical mod with a dual 24G build at 0.2 ohms with 5 wraps at 2.5mm ID will be using about 90 watts. To replicate this on a box mod will require the same wattage. The same 0.2 ohm resistance but built with clapton coils using 20G wire wrapped with 32G will have significantly more mass and surface area, and will require significantly more power to run.
    The two builds will be producing roughly the same amount of heat, but the later will require X amount more wattage run and will produce a lot more vapor.

Imagine a big truck, it cannot go particularly fast, but it can drag a battleship sideways across a salt flat.
    I disagree. I have two drippers with claptons right now. One is a .80 and one is a .47 and my devices handle them just fine, and I do not own a device that goes above 75w. The requirement is a regulated device and it stops there. I do not have to run the pants off of my mods either as I dont really ever go over 40w and dont need too. Regulated devices are designed to put out high voltage. You need super high wattage to run low ohm builds no doubt I understand this. And there is nothing wrong with vaping that way. I prefer to vape in the 5 to 6 volt range, I grew used to that when I built my first Raptor.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread