Where in the world do you find one of those pincher tools?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Let's End the Madness Right here.

rochester_pean_hemostats_web_166c458223.png

Now... What do I Win?

OMG, sanity. I couldn't stand another pneumatic jack cement gunk breaker, crane jig-gy winder, winch anvil vice solution. My head was gonna break. If there's one more post today on anything that can so utterly mangle a coil, I think I'll wretch. At least a few veterans throw in the good stuff, that works, that won't break the bank. Where do I pin the friggin' Boy Scout medal?

Ok, here's one for you…and chances are you've never tried it…

289717d1388483765-i-just-rebuilt-kanger-t3-base-img_0567a.jpg

Spooling directly off the coil with mild hand tension to your favorite bit or screwdriver, one that actually fits in your device so you don't have to triturate the coil during localization, imparts metal memory like a screen door spring into the wire. You end up with a perfectly formed coil that wants to remain a coil whatever you want to do with it after...torch it, pulse it, thread it, vape it, etc. It's turns are in perfect uniform contact. Scrunchy-squeezy-torchy still gets you imperfections you can't see without a magnifier. Uses for that, but not necessary. It's fun to fire my BernzÖmatic, must admit. Don't getcha nada mas tho. It's theater.

If you try it, you will no doubt see (over weeks!) what I've seen beyond just durability and stability…but significant flavor improvements deriving from the increased electrical efficiency. Sixty seconds or less to a uniform 16 you can individually and incrementally de-wind back to a perfect straight 8 or 12 in the center. Don't pull off the wire! That just reforms the initial set of the coil with an overriding energy input undoing the initial contact cohesion. That's one of the most important things to conserve not just merely the torsion but the adhesion. Turn and spin off, you lose that. Nobody ever tells ya this sh¡¡t. So sad.

Good post on those forceps. Every vaper should have at least one. Prob the most useful tool you can have, (magnetic) particularly for pesky grommets and defiant escaping coils, that otherwise choose to hide in your toolbox.

Have at it. LMK if you like what you found or pass it on.

Good luck.

:)

TheJakeBailey

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
Austin,TX, USA
Sooo, this totally isn't the right place to put this, but I did in fact FIND pinchy things, as well as pokey things, and burny things, and sharp cutty things to make it, so we'll run with it. Plus most of the people I know here are in this thread anyway. lol AND, it was all of your tips and advice given to GN that made me want to try it in the first place. So behold, my very first coil,built in the Igo L.

My thoughts... The Flavor is really good. I can see myself dripping a lot in the evenings when I'm at home. The vapor is pretty damn impressive. I'm by no means a cloud chaser, but hey, it put out a lot of vapor in my book. My issue is with the throat hit. The first few puffs I took felt like they were gonna rip out the back of my throat. The next few got a lot better, but was still harsher than I would like.

So give me some feedback or recommendations. what should I do differently, or correct on the next build? Any tips to mellow out that throat hit, etc?

I had the Igo L air hole drilled to 5/64 when I ordered, but I think I might like the tighter draw of the stock size better. might order another... We'll see. I used 28 gauge kanthal, and silica wick. Came out to a nice and safe 1.6 ohms.

ymuzyru7.jpg
u7uqa4ym.jpg
abu3asad.jpg

Last edited:

Wickeddeuce

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2013
JBLM
jake that looks beautiful, do you mind me asking what level nic you vape at? the increased throat hit, from purely my understanding at this point (will have my aga t2s in tomorrow) comes from a better vape, that delivers everything better.

i believe lowering your nic, or increasing the vg you use should help, but it looks really good especially for a first build...

TheJakeBailey

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
Austin,TX, USA
Thanks Wickeddeuce. I watched a lot of videos, and threw away about a foot of mangled twisted kanthal before I got one I thought was worth screwing down. I'm at 12 mg, give or take a mg or so depending on what the vendor offers. Usually 50/50 or 60/40, so maybe some added vg would help. Some of the vids I watched mentioned changing the height of the coil to change the throat hit, but I don't know if that would apply here since the air hole is on the side? All in all, I'm just happy that it works at all. lol

TheJakeBailey

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
Austin,TX, USA
So proud of you !!!

Sent by my cat through pure magic

Thank you! Don't know if GN every got around to using any of the stuff he bought, but i'm happy I gave it a try. Will definitely continue trying some different ones. Now that I have found my carto tanks I'm pretty satisfied with my all day set up and am having fun tinkering with no pressure.

catalinaflyer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
FL 510 (Over The Top Baby)
Very nice coil Jake.

As for the throat hit, I'm going to guess your doing a lung inhale with a air hole that large and as such your getting a magnitude more juice vaporizing and as such a magnitude more nicotine which can cause a very strong throat hit. On my dual coil fog maker I use just pure VG, no flavor, no nic. When I do use a juice with even 6mg nic I get a buzz that lasts for quite a while.

catalinaflyer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
As you can see there's a blunt and a pointy end on the reverse pinchy pincher pinchtool. I like using the pointy end for straightening out coil windings and the blunt end for precision dripping. It acts as a spoony spooner spoontool all by itself and I get consistent drops with it like nothing else.
Or pick my nose with it.

For gawd sakes don't let GN try that or that'll be the next flavor he mysteriously gets from everything he sucks on.

TheJakeBailey

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
Austin,TX, USA
Very nice coil Jake.

As for the throat hit, I'm going to guess your doing a lung inhale with a air hole that large and as such your getting a magnitude more juice vaporizing and as such a magnitude more nicotine which can cause a very strong throat hit. On my dual coil fog maker I use just pure VG, no flavor, no nic. When I do use a juice with even 6mg nic I get a buzz that lasts for quite a while.

You could definitely be on the right track! lol I first bought a Scar, but decided I wanted the Igo L to tackle trying to build a single coil, before trying a double. The air hole on the scar is MUCH smaller, and I'm just using the stock coil that came in it. The flavor is good, the vapor is good,( but a little less than the Igo,) and the throat hit is just fine. Seems the differences were 1, the single vs/dual coil, or 2 the huge amount of air. I guess it's the air! Damn. Now I wish I would have left the air hole alone, but I kept reading recommendations to have it drilled. For what I paid for it, definitely not the end of the world. :)

catalinaflyer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
You could definitely be on the right track! lol I first bought a Scar, but decided I wanted the Igo L to tackle trying to build a single coil, before trying a double. The air hole on the scar is MUCH smaller, and I'm just using the stock coil that came in it. The flavor is good, the vapor is good,( but a little less than the Igo,) and the throat hit is just fine. Seems the differences were 1, the single vs/dual coil, or 2 the huge amount of air. I guess it's the air! Damn. Now I wish I would have left the air hole alone, but I kept reading recommendations to have it drilled. For what I paid for it, definitely not the end of the world. :)

IMO - which doesn't mean much, the big air holed, dual coiled monsters are good for one thing, impressing others with a huge cloud. I have an Igo-W which is drilled and loaded with a pair of micro's and the only thing I use it for is showing off. That's why I got pure VG, it makes a better cloud without any of the side effects of a nic buzz. Furthermore I find the flavor goes way down when making those clouds so flavoring is a waste in my opinion as well.

I was in a e-cig store today where they were selling the **** out of ego starters which all appeared to be re-branded Smok products. Anyway the guy behind the counter was expounding the "huge" clouds available by stepping up to a dual coil clearo. I quietly pulled my Maraxus out of my pocket which has the Igo-W on it, took a giant lung inhale of VG and proceeded to reduce the visibility in the store to near zero, paid for my cartomizers and walked out.

tonyorion

ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2010
Michigan
I am somewhat fearful of posting this suggestion for fear that some people might do serious bodily harm to themselves. It is a thingy for the man who likes to own thingys.

Tweezers are so mundane; everybody has one. Of course, you can never find tweezers when you need them for something practical like taking a splinter out of your finger. There are those who are more fortunate and use them on a daily basis to pluck the hairs growing on their noses so they have no problems finding them.

In a pinch, those with a lack of fine motor skills can use them as a substitute for chopsticks. Tweezers are definitely handy little buggers to have around.

I cannot take credit for this suggestion since it was posted somewhere else on ECF, but my dearly departed uncle left me his jewelry making tools (not much else, may I add. He was not a very good jeweler so much preferred taking other people's jewelry to making his own. Unfortunately, he got caught a lot so I did not get to know him very well. They say he was a pretty good second story man, but he suffered an early demise when he was forced to make a premature exit and tumbled into a passing garbage truck never to be heard from again).

In that set of tools, there was a unique device called a parallel acting pliers. Perfect for making coils and cracking open pistachios.

You can probably find such thingys on Amazon or Ebay. You can be the first vaper in your vape lounge to own one and will become an instant hit with the opposite sex. In deference to the LBGT community, to the same sex as well. Even though we are vapers, we do need to observe some modicum of political correctness.

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/...woy3PZH-3Om_pItT4_rVML9bbjQoSRTfilYc6g7WqY5EE

bender817

ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Fort Worth, Texas
I am somewhat fearful of posting this suggestion for fear that some people might do serious bodily harm to themselves. It is a thingy for the man who likes to own thingys.

Tweezers are so mundane; everybody has one. Of course, you can never find tweezers when you need them for something practical like taking a splinter out of your finger. There are those who are more fortunate and use them on a daily basis to pluck the hairs growing on their noses so they have no problems finding them.

In a pinch, those with a lack of fine motor skills can use them as a substitute for chopsticks. Tweezers are definitely handy little buggers to have around.

I cannot take credit for this suggestion since it was posted somewhere else on ECF, but my dearly departed uncle left me his jewelry making tools (not much else, may I add. He was not a very good jeweler so much preferred taking other people's jewelry to making his own. Unfortunately, he got caught a lot so I did not get to know him very well. They say he was a pretty good second story man, but he suffered an early demise when he was forced to make a premature exit and tumbled into a passing garbage truck never to be heard from again).

In that set of tools, there was a unique device called a parallel acting pliers. Perfect for making coils and cracking open pistachios.

You can probably find such thingys on Amazon or Ebay. You can be the first vaper in your vape lounge to own one and will become an instant hit with the opposite sex. In deference to the LBGT community, to the same sex as well. Even though we are vapers, we do need to observe some modicum of political correctness.

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/...woy3PZH-3Om_pItT4_rVML9bbjQoSRTfilYc6g7WqY5EE

Those are sweet. I am offended by what is "politically correct" these days... I'm not intolerant; I'm speaking very generally.

danny4x4

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
London
Now I wish I would have left the air hole alone,

You could try using a piece of tape to cover half the hole to see if that helps. That's the poor man's adjustable air flow control system. Works for me if draw is too airy. BUT, a smaller air hole will in fact give a greater throat hit.

Try adjusting your coil as close to the air hole as possible. The air hole should face the coil when you place the cap i.e, air hits the coil directly when you draw. For more throat hit, cap it such that air does not hit it directly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread