Why are a lot of people obsessed with vaping at high W?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    I live in a town where vaping is commonplace. Probably because it's been around longer here. (first vape shop opened it's doors in 2008) So many of the cops are vapors themselves.

However we still face the same problems here that we are seeing everywhere. The grandfather date on testing equipment in a vape shop runs out in July, and a bill to extend it never made it to committee. Local & state zoning laws are a real problem. So local laws are taking their toll here just like everywhere else.
    Clerks in shops seem to think that the only way to vape is the way they vape, and simply have no time to be bothered with the newcomer that isn't ready for the latest & greatest crop duster.

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 11, 2013
    Sugar Hill, Georgia
    I live in a town where vaping is commonplace. Probably because it's been around longer here. (first vape shop opened it's doors in 2008) So many of the cops are vapors themselves.

However we still face the same problems here that we are seeing everywhere. The grandfather date on testing equipment in a vape shop runs out in July, and a bill to extend it never made it to committee. Local & state zoning laws are a real problem. So local laws are taking their toll here just like everywhere else.
    Clerks in shops seem to think that the only way to vape is the way they vape, and simply have no time to be bothered with the newcomer that isn't ready for the latest & greatest crop duster.
    I miss the stories of the old man with the 2 ohm dripper and the mech making the kids jealous.

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 21, 2015
    Toronto, Canada
    I miss the stories of the old man with the 2 ohm dripper and the mech making the kids jealous.
    Did people still blow themselves up @ 2ohms in the olden days?:)

Actually a serious question from someone that has only been vaping for 18 months.... vaping was less prevalent, the mods were more "rustic" but it seems that sub-ohm wasn't really a thing until a few years ago. Just curious if there were battery explosions stories back in the days of early vaping....

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 11, 2013
    Sugar Hill, Georgia

Actually a serious question from someone that has only been vaping for 18 months.... vaping was less prevalent, the mods were more "rustic" but it seems that sub-ohm wasn't really a thing until a few years ago. Just curious if there were battery explosions stories back in the days of early vaping....
    I remember Baditude blew one up...that's how he became our resident battery safety advocate before Mooch came along.

Myrany

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 14, 2013
    Louisiana
    I remember Baditude blew one up...that's how he became our resident battery safety advocate before Mooch came along.
    I so miss Baditude. He was a really terrific guy.

Yes batteries blew up in the old days most often from the same reasons they do now. User error. Using the wrong charger for the battery caused more than one ego battery to blow while charging (I remember several of these). Carrying batteries loose in pockets with change and keys. Not engaging the locking mechanism before pocketing a device.

It seemed like there were less of them probably because it was not so well publicized when they blew.

tj99959

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah

Yes, and the biggie, "Florida man blows his face off", happened with perfect timing, (one week before State Senate hearing) and made e-cigs fall under the Utah clean air act. At the State Senate hearing e-cigs blowing up was all they talked about. That was in 2012. It also put a respected manufacturer (Puresmoker) out of business. Of course stacking batteries bought at Radio Shack had nothing to do with it. ;)

tj99959

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    OH-and, this old man with the 2 ohm dripper and the mech is still making the kids jealous. :lol:

P1000871_zpszokxfkvz.jpg

add:
    It's still fun to take that rig into a vape shop because they always want to take it apart to figure out how it can possibly perform like it does.

Last edited:

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 11, 2013
    Sugar Hill, Georgia
    OH-and, this old man with the 2 ohm dripper and the mech is still making the kids jealous. :lol:

P1000871_zpszokxfkvz.jpg

add:
    It's still fun to take that rig into a vape shop because they always want to take it apart to figure out how it can possibly perform like it does.
    it was you who had the mod lost in the duck swamp for a bit, wasn't it? Those were the days.

tj99959

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    it was you who had the mod lost in the duck swamp for a bit, wasn't it? Those were the days.

Ya, that was this one (Mako Midi) I was using 510-T atties (modified for dripping) back in those days.
    New battery & atty and vaped away.
    P1000863_zpsc9hvseko.jpg

I thought it was lost forever, but my dog found it for me while she was "helping" me set out decoys the next weekend.

Zakillah

ECF Veteran
    Jan 24, 2015
    Vienna
    On the build I just made I have no choice but to hang around 75-85 watts. I used 24G twisted wire 8 wraps and .3 ohms. The ramp up is slower than a standard 22G wire build. I don't necessarily want the high wattage because I'm not like that anymore. I'm just doing what is necessary for my build.
    But you have a choice what build you throw in your atty, no? Use thinner wire. Needs less wattage. Its that easy.

David Wolf

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 11, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    At least with all my friends I know, they all insist I vape at 120W minimum or ideally 150W...but everytime I vape it just get's so warm, they all vape extremely warm and I don't get it, a good 50-70W is perfect for me, and they want me to do 150W with an RDA I just find it crazy
    True it's a fad these days to vape at high power and blow big clouds, but it's such a rush to go Big Power!!! Why sometimes I just go wild and crank up my Kayfun V3 Mini clone to 10 Watts!!!! Whooohooo!!!!
    :evil:

EIHYPI

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 15, 2017
    But you have a choice what build you throw in your atty, no? Use thinner wire. Needs less wattage. Its that easy.
    You were so right. I had a choice though of using thinner wire or lowering the wraps from 8 to 5 with the twisted 24G Kanthal. I chose 5 wraps @ 0.215 ohms The ramp up is a lot quicker and if I do choose to take a hit on 80 watts once in a while I can. I'm not suggesting higher wattage for myself and others though.

EIHYPI

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 15, 2017
    You were so right. I had a choice though of using thinner wire or lowering the wraps from 8 to 5 with the twisted 24G Kanthal. I chose 5 wraps @ 0.215 ohms The wrap up is a lot quicker and if I do choose to take a hit on 80 watts once in a while I can. I'm not suggesting higher wattage for myself and others though.
    cameringo_20170328_071258.jpg

thetrucker

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 10, 2014
    Syracuse,NY
    This is me in a nutshell. 15-20 watts on almost everything.

I was given a multiple clapton coil with an atty I was given as a gift and that thing just wouldn't produce any vapor at all below 35 watts. Pushed it to 40 and it vaped nicely but not much different than what I usually vape at 15 and the battery on the mod died MUCH faster.

I will stick to my usual .5-.7 ohm coils at 15-20 watts. It works and I don't have to change batterys near as often. :)
    28 guage kanthal seemed to work out the best for me rite from the start.......and so it always took low power to fire it up.......batteries seem to last longer

vape not so hot..........but If you use the thicker wire like 24 guage and below....it takes higher wattage to fire it up and also ramp up time is quicker

with the higher wattages..........nothing wrong with higher wattage...if that's what you like.........I vape at no more than...20 watts and that seems to

do it for me........it seems that I can get a nice lung full out of a tiny coil and not so much heat and less juice is used........I don't mind buying

juice........the problem is having to stop and fill up every time I turn around.........lol...........I tried making dual coils with 22 guage....and setting

my usual power to 15 watts......................and nothing happened.......LOL......I realized that I had to jack up the power quite a bit

to start getting some fog out of it.......lol........you need higher power if you are going to use ....."Twisted Coat Hangers"....for coils....LOL...

Myrany

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 14, 2013
    Louisiana
    Hi-watt mods only skewer the box mod market. But not the Mech market.
    Vaping a MMV Nano, .5 ohm, a whopping 33 watts.
    Not all watts are created equal..
    This is true. On Mechs I build differently. I set my Mechs up at .7-.9 ohms to drop the watts down because it is just too hot and harsh for me any higher.

thetrucker

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 10, 2014
    Syracuse,NY
    Ya, that was this one (Mako Midi) I was using 510-T atties (modified for dripping) back in those days.
    New battery & atty and vaped away.
    P1000863_zpsc9hvseko.jpg

I thought it was lost forever, but my dog found it for me while she was "helping" me set out decoys the next weekend.

I always liked this atomizer....thought it looked nice sitting on top of my mods.......the only thing I noticed that I did not like so well was the atomizer

cap was so small that it got really hot all the time........but the vape was good......and fun to make a coil for.............I've got a couple like this and mine

had a screw on cap and always was a job to unscrew and look at the wick and then screw it back on.......I am always checking my coil and wick 4 some reason

The air hole was drilled in the wrong place to line up with the coil....and so I was always spinning the cap to line up the air hole with my coil.........

the top cap did not have only a few threads on it so if I gave it one half turn counter clock wise to line up my air hole with my coil....it was kind

of loose....if I bumped it for any reason the cap would just fall off.............but other than this it was always a fun atomizer to vape from.......

EIHYPI

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 15, 2017
    28 guage kanthal seemed to work out the best for me rite from the start.......and so it always took low power to fire it up.......batteries seem to last longer

vape not so hot..........but If you use the thicker wire like 24 guage and below....it takes higher wattage to fire it up and also ramp up time is quicker

with the higher wattages..........nothing wrong with higher wattage...if that's what you like.........I vape at no more than...20 watts and that seems to

do it for me........it seems that I can get a nice lung full out of a tiny coil and not so much heat and less juice is used........I don't mind buying

juice........the problem is having to stop and fill up every time I turn around.........lol...........I tried making dual coils with 22 guage....and setting

my usual power to 15 watts......................and nothing happened.......LOL......I realized that I had to jack up the power quite a bit

to start getting some fog out of it.......lol........you need higher power if you are going to use ....."Twisted Coat Hangers"....for coils....LOL...
    My first vape was 3 ohm coil, with a store that made a mech with 2 smaller batteries stacked (of course I found out the dangers of this and abandoned their business) at 5 volts. I was using 24mg nic with menthol to make it stronger. Then I went to the Nautilus tank with an Istick 20 watt still 24mg nic. When I started out with the sub ohming craze, I got the aspire Atlantis, then the Atlantis 2 followed but the arctic tank. With these tanks, I was vaping a level 18 nic with the istick 50 watt. I went through a few more devices but was always closer the level 18 nic. The first time I ever went down to a level 12 nic was when I bought my target mini & it's tank that came with it. When I bought the alien, that was when I first went down to a level 6 nic with the Cloud Beast,from a 12 nic using the uwell crown tank. I still use a target mini tank at 12mg and a Nautilus 2 at 18mg nic.

All this is considered lowering down my nic level being that I used to be strictly 24mg. So, now that I started to build 3 weeks ago I learned so much more about Vaping than I ever knew existed. But I learned that I lean toward that hotter more power build because of the nic level I'm used to. That's why I twisted 24 gauge and built a .215 at 70 watts. Anything less and I'll just be chasing and craving my nicotine fill.

I'm trying to lower myself down to a level 3 nic and I hope that works. It seems like most shops carry more flavor varieties in a 3mg nic anyway. So I am Vaping this way for now but I may end up in the future being a Tootle Puffer always. Hey ya never know.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread