Why doesn't BT jump on board?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeAnna2112

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2015
Indiana
I was at the gas station waiting in line and seen all the cigalikes and i couldn't help but wonder, why is BT sticking with cigalikes and not expanding given how popular vaping is? I mean there is soo much money to be made in the vaping industry...but not with cigalikes. Nobody likes them or wants them, they want the latest gear where they have more choices and a better vape. So why is BT setting on the side lines missing out on money to be made?

Reactions: MMW

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
BT is counting on closed systems being the only thing that will get through the FDA hoops.

There are a LOT of people that do use the cigalikes and are successful in using them. Those are the ones that don't have the interest in searching for something that might be better. You and I know that those products aren't the greatest but they can and do work for some. :)

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
Cigalikes do work, for many people. The people that buy and use them aren't the 'hobbyist' vapers that many of us on forums like ECF are. We hobbyists sometimes tend to get a skewed view of what a vaper is. There are many people who vape, and have successfully quit smoking, without making a hobby or lifestyle out of vaping.

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Cigalikes do work, for many people. The people that buy and use them aren't the 'hobbyist' vapers that many of us on forums like ECF are. We hobbyists sometimes tend to get a skewed view of what a vaper is. There are many people who vape, and have successfully quit smoking, without making a hobby or lifestyle out of vaping.

Yep, I agree........... Plus I think another factor is that lots of folks still do not know what is available out there.... They see cig-a-likes in the stores or adverts on tv and they may assume that is all there is.

Reactions: r77r7r

Eskie

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 6, 2016
    NY
    I started on a cigalike and it got me right off cigarettes. I stayed with it for a good 6 months before figuring out how much those proprietary cartridges were costing me and ended up with an entry level clearo that blew the cigalike away with a decent juice. Many folks probably stay with them, and BT is selling plenty of them that they account for a pretty big percentage of "vape" gear sold.

Rule62

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 28, 2011
    Melbourne, Florida
    Yep, I agree........... Plus I think another factor is that lots of folks still do not know what is available out there.... They see cig-a-likes in the stores or adverts on tv and they may assume that is all there is.

It would be hard not to know what's out there, when there's a vape shop on practically every street. In my town, they're all over the place. Maybe too many. I just think some people want something very simple, that works, don't want to do a lot of research, and want a form factor similar to smoking.

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    It would be hard not to know what's out there, when there's a vape shop on practically every street. In my town, they're all over the place. Maybe too many. I just think some people want something very simple, that works, don't want to do a lot of research, and want a form factor similar to smoking.

Well, that very well could be but I also know lots of folks who have never entered a vape store...... Lots of the new vaper's that come into the new members area of this forum are clueless about what is out there and they have to literally be pointed to devices other than cig-a-likes.......... I spend a great deal of time in the new members area and see smokers (wanting to quit) all of the time who are only aware of cig-a-likes.... They want something better than a cig-a-like but they are not aware of what is out there....... Some of the new arrivals are aware of what is out there but just need guidance........ The only way to accurately answer a question like this is to perform a study on it, which I am sure many seller's in the vaping industry have already done.

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    I started on a cigalike and it got me right off cigarettes. I stayed with it for a good 6 months before figuring out how much those proprietary cartridges were costing me and ended up with an entry level clearo that blew the cigalike away with a decent juice. Many folks probably stay with them, and BT is selling plenty of them that they account for a pretty big percentage of "vape" gear sold.

Yep, I agree with you and Rule62 about the cig-a-likes........... I also think there are some people though that are clueless about what is out there despite the Internet and all the vape shops.... Yes, most people are aware that there are many things out there and they come here for guidance..... But some folks (maybe very few) are clueless about anything other than cig-a-likes........ No matter, because if cig-a-like helps certain people get away from the death sticks then I say ....MAKE MORE CIG-A-LIKES

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    BT is counting on closed systems being the only thing that will get through the FDA hoops.

There are a LOT of people that do use the cigalikes and are successful in using them. Those are the ones that don't have the interest in searching for something that might be better. You and I know that those products aren't the greatest but they can and do work for some. :)

Yeah and so they are clueless that there is lots of other vape gear on the market.

kbeam418

ECF Veteran
    Mar 5, 2015
    Toledo,Oh
    I was at the gas station waiting in line and seen all the cigalikes and i couldn't help but wonder, why is BT sticking with cigalikes and not expanding given how popular vaping is? I mean there is soo much money to be made in the vaping industry...but not with cigalikes. Nobody likes them or wants them, they want the latest gear where they have more choices and a better vape. So why is BT setting on the side lines missing out on money to be made?

It's simple; they make MUCH MUCH more off of cigarettes. Altria made over five billion (net) in 2015. That's more (correct me if I'm wrong) than aspire/vaperesso and joyetech combined made since they've been in business! Keep in mind Joyetech is one of the largest, if not the largest, company in vaping. I hate to say it but we're not putting a dent in bt stock and won't for a very long time.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal

JMO.

But BT Always plays the Long Game. And the way they see things, a Heavily Regulated market is the future. And that Fits their business model Much Better than a Free Market where Competition and Innovation bring the rain.

BT also kinda has an Image problem. I wouldn't pay for Hardware made by BT. Because there are Plenty of other Companies that weren't In Bed with the FDA for Decades that I would rather give my money to. And a BT produced e-Liquid? Put me down for a No.

BT did kinda take one in the Shins though. Because I Don't see much of that "No New Tobacco Products" being enforced. And that is something that Doesn't Fit in well with where they would have liked to be Today.

That, and who is Living at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave isn't who they thought it would be. But then again, Nobody Did.

There is Also the Deep Pockets in a Lawsuit to consider. Suing some Mom & Pop B&M for $50,000,000 is not really worth the Filing Fee. But suing BT? Heck, that's kinda a National Pastime in the USA.

Last edited:

Belhade

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 15, 2010
    New York (no, not the city)
    I'd think that the disposability is part of the deal. We have discussions here on stocking up on equipment that will last for the rest of our lives (drippers and mechs, anyone?) which really puts a dent into the regular purchasing cycles.

Other than those who buy mods and tanks every month anyways, or course. :D

kbeam418

ECF Veteran
    Mar 5, 2015
    Toledo,Oh
    JMO.

But BT Always plays the Long Game. And the way they see things, a Heavily Regulated market is the future. And that Fits their business model Much Better than a Free Market where Competition and Innovation bring the rain.

BT also kinda has an Image problem. I wouldn't pay for Hardware made by BT. Because there are Plenty of other Companies that weren't In Bed with the FDA for Decades that I would rather give my money to. And a BT produced e-Liquid? Put me down for a No.

BT did kinda take one in the Shins though. Because I Don't see much of that "No New Tobacco Products" being enforced. And that is something that Doesn't Fit in well with where they would have liked to be Today.

That, and who is Living at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave isn't who they thought it would be. But then again, Nobody Did.

There is Also the Deep Pockets in a Lawsuit to consider. Suing some Mom & Pop B&M for $50,000,000 is not really worth the Filing Fee. But suing BT? Heck, that's kinda a National Pastime in the USA.

It's being enforced on bt, Camel Crush was on the market for a while but the fda made them take it off the market. It was funny because towards the end, where I live, they were selling for less than the generics. FDA would love to enforce the laws on vaping but there's a bazillion juice companies so they can't really do anything. They can't stop the chinese manufactures and they know it.

Reactions: Eskie

zoiDman

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    It's being enforced on bt, Camel Crush was on the market for a while but the fda made them take it off the market. It was funny because towards the end, where I live, they were selling for less than the generics. FDA would love to enforce the laws on vaping but there's a bazillion juice companies so they can't really do anything. They can't stop the chinese manufactures and they know it.

"...

The FDA’s evaluation found that Camel Crush Bold, Pall Mall Deep Set Recessed Filter, Pall Mall Deep Set Recessed Filter Menthol and Vantage Tech 13 cigarettes were not substantially equivalent (NSE) to their respective “predicate” products (i.e., products that were commercially marketed as of Feb. 15, 2007) as identified by the manufacturer. More specifically, the agency concluded the products have different characteristics than the predicate products and that the manufacturer failed to show that the new products do not raise different questions of public health when compared to them. Consequently, at this time, these products can no longer be sold, distributed, imported or marketed in interstate commerce.

..."

FDA issues orders that will stop further U.S. sale and distribution of four R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company cigarette products

Once Bitten Twice Shy? Could be. But that was Cigarettes.

BT's sole purpose in the Universe is to make Mountains and Mountains of Money. Can they do that selling e-Cigarettes/e-Liquids in a Free Market? Or even Semi-Free Market like since August 8th, 2016?

Or is the Safer Bet to Hedge on a Fully Regulated Market in Late 2018?

And if Deeming is Partially Rolled Back, can't BT Expand their e-Cigarette offerings anyway?

kbeam418

ECF Veteran
    Mar 5, 2015
    Toledo,Oh
    "...

The FDA’s evaluation found that Camel Crush Bold, Pall Mall Deep Set Recessed Filter, Pall Mall Deep Set Recessed Filter Menthol and Vantage Tech 13 cigarettes were not substantially equivalent (NSE) to their respective “predicate” products (i.e., products that were commercially marketed as of Feb. 15, 2007) as identified by the manufacturer. More specifically, the agency concluded the products have different characteristics than the predicate products and that the manufacturer failed to show that the new products do not raise different questions of public health when compared to them. Consequently, at this time, these products can no longer be sold, distributed, imported or marketed in interstate commerce.

..."

FDA issues orders that will stop further U.S. sale and distribution of four R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company cigarette products

Once Bitten Twice Shy? Could be. But that was Cigarettes.

BT's sole purpose in the Universe is to make Mountains and Mountains of Money. Can they do that selling e-Cigarettes/e-Liquids in a Free Market? Or even Semi-Free Market like since August 8th, 2016?

Or is the Safer Bet to Hedge on a Fully Regulated Market in Late 2018?

And if Deeming is Partially Rolled Back, can't BT Expand their e-Cigarette offerings anyway?

They could but they're goal is long term customers, your' 2 pad smoker will give bt over 100k in 45 years (somewhere around that figure). People can and do quit vaping. How many people successfully quit smoking without vaping? Bt doesn't want you to quit until you're dead.

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA

yeah I know I wouldn't purchase anything manufactured by BT

Reactions: zoiDman

zoiDman

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    They could but they're goal is long term customers, your' 2 pad smoker will give bt over 100k in 45 years (somewhere around that figure). People can and do quit vaping. How many people successfully quit smoking without vaping? Bt doesn't want you to quit until you're dead.

I just Don't see BT being able to play a major role in a Free or even Semi-Free e-Cigarette Market.

I would imagine BT is Fine with Smokers switching to e-Cigarettes. As long as BT is the one Making the Profits off Hardware and e-Liquids.

Vapers will probably Live Longer with Less Desire to Quit.

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    "...
    BT's sole purpose in the Universe is to make Mountains and Mountains of Money.

yeah and any time you have greedy and corrupt practices going on all as you have to do is follow the money to see who is responsible...... BT has been corrupt since their inception and they ONLY care about MONEY.......... they certainly don't care about your health lol

Reactions: mountaingal
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread