why less nicotine for sub ohm

Status
Not open for further replies.

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
    Since a sub-ohm coil has less resistance than an above-ohm coil, it 'burns hotter' and goes through more e-liquid and battery power too. It 'processes' the juice more effectively, and a lower nic level is needed to avoid 'nic overload'.

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    May 3, 2013
    Blue Rapids, KS, US
    Fun with numbers :p

Non-Sub-Ohm 1.5ohm coil @ 10watts with 12mg as the base line
    Sub-ohm 0.75ohm coil @ 20 watts with 12mg (1/2 the resistance, 2X the watts, 2X the watts = 2X the nicotine exposure, 12mgX2=24mg)
    Super-Sub-Ohm 0.3ohm @ 50watts with 12mg (1/5 the resistance, 5X the watts, 5X the watts = 5X the nicotine exposure, 12mgX5=60mg exposure) <--Nicotine Overdose signs, queeziness, nausea, heat flashes, and you will not be feeling well for an hour or so.

mountaingal

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 22, 2012
    Tennessee and ports on the East Coast
    Remove the coil ohms and just do it in watts. That's all that matters really with regulated mods.

Huh?
    I do not get what you mean.
    As a side note: I vape 20mg/ml DIY juice and I use Kangertech coils mostly in the 1.2-1.5Ω range at 18W.
    I did pick up a nice lot of .5Ω coils and thought I would just lower the wattage to 12W. But, I have not tried it yet.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    Just wondering why people recommend less nicotine for sub ohm vaping. Is it purely due to producing more vapour?
    Those of us you hear of vaping 12mg/ml and up produce embarrassing less Vapor than the sub ohm high wattages people :). I get too much nic when I crank it up to 9-10w. There are some who need that and can handle it to get off cigs and stay off.

Reactions: Eskie

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    Yeah, I'm not sure I'd recommend more than 6 mg if you're using sub-ohm at HIGH wattages. I tried that with 12 nic and got nowhere fast, my throat was killing me, and I was coughing like crazy. I switched to a 1.8 coil and a very different tank, and I now vape in the 16 to 20 nic range... I can vape a fair amount (especially when vaping in the a.m.) and I feel fine. I would try both types of tank, personally. I use the Nautilus 2 and I like it so much more than my sub ohm cleto tank.... Really, IMO everyone starting out should try both methods to see what they like.

That being said, vaping at a lower wattage should work, but it still won't be the same vaping experience, IMO. No tight draw, etc., etc., etc. My coil ran out late last night and I stuck my cleto tank back on my mod because I felt too tired to deal with it... It wasn't an enjoyable experience (for me).

Anna

Craybee

ECF Veteran
    Jul 4, 2013
    Washington, DC
    Yeah, I'm not sure I'd recommend more than 6 mg if you're using sub-ohm at HIGH wattages. I tried that with 12 nic and got nowhere fast, my throat was killing me, and I was coughing like crazy. I switched to a 1.8 coil and a very different tank, and I now vape in the 16 to 20 nic range... I can vape a fair amount (especially when vaping in the a.m.) and I feel fine. I would try both types of tank, personally. I use the Nautilus 2 and I like it so much more than my sub ohm cleto tank.... Really, IMO everyone starting out should try both methods to see what they like.

That being said, vaping at a lower wattage should work, but it still won't be the same vaping experience, IMO. No tight draw, etc., etc., etc. My coil ran out late last night and I stuck my cleto tank back on my mod because I felt too tired to deal with it... It wasn't an enjoyable experience (for me).

Anna
    yup. i've only been sub-ohming a few weeks but soon realized that my standard 6mg juice that i've been vaping for years is now a little too much with sub-ohm. so now i'm at 3mg. had to even switch brands because my favorite juice isn't available at 3mg.

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    Yup. New vapers should also be told (IMHO) that yes, they may be using super *low* nic sub-ohming and maybe feel great about that, but if you do the calculations on juice consumption, they may just as well be saving $$ and actually enjoying the experience better, for less money (it's interesting that vape shops don't usually sell higher nic strength for more $$), but I guess they don't feel the need, because they're telling everyone "Ooh, you can vape at low nic and still feel okay...." Cost does matter to an extent, but the "sub-ohm" low-nicotine factor is a false effect.... Except maybe mentally....

Anna

djsvapour

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 2, 2012
    England and Wales
    Cost does matter to an extent, but the "sub-ohm" low-nicotine factor is a false effect.... Except maybe mentally....

I think I agree with you. I've just filled up a tank with 12mg.... I'll drop the power by 5 watts and puff on it a bit less. I can use anything from (0mg to) 3mg to 12mg.

I actually feel sorry for people getting drawn into the curious world of low nic' / high power.
    Sure, I can vape 'up there' with the best of them but most of the time it's just so unnecessary for me. People who I meet often brag about using "only 3mg" and seem weirded out by me vaping 6 or 12.
    Then I remind them their juice bill could well be over $2000 a year.

Reactions: stols001

QcVaper

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 17, 2017
    Canada/Quebec
    Yup. New vapers should also be told (IMHO) that yes, they may be using super *low* nic sub-ohming and maybe feel great about that, but if you do the calculations on juice consumption, they may just as well be saving $$ and actually enjoying the experience better, for less money (it's interesting that vape shops don't usually sell higher nic strength for more $$), but I guess they don't feel the need, because they're telling everyone "Ooh, you can vape at low nic and still feel okay...." Cost does matter to an extent, but the "sub-ohm" low-nicotine factor is a false effect.... Except maybe mentally....

Anna
    My vape shop actually recommended me to get 15mg when i asked about their highest which was 18mg and they told me exactly why to start at 15mg (ie:18 for very heavy smokers lower than 15 might be okay but since i told them i was close to about 1 pack/day they said 15 was a great start). No regrets here although i'm soon gonna move to sub ohm for the better nic absorbtion and i've heard more flavor aswell.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 2, 2012
    England and Wales
    My vape shop actually recommended me to get 15mg when i asked about their highest which was 18mg and they told me exactly why to start at 15mg (ie:18 for very heavy smokers lower than 15 might be okay but since i told them i was close to about 1 pack/day they said 15 was a great start). No regrets here although i'm soon gonna move to sub ohm for the better nic absorbtion and i've heard more flavor aswell.

Enjoy!

I'm not so sure about shops these days and what they recommend.
    18mg in the old days was about the normal and certainly not only for heavy smokers. 6-8 watts was about the power then, of course.
    I never bought the heavy smoker thing anyway back then; the logic (to me) seems that you smoked, you got your nicotine, you smoked again - sooner if you were smoking a lot. No particular reason to vape super-high nicotine levels.
    The nicotine from one vaping session needed to feel similar (I guess) to smoking 1 cigarette.
    Some folk used 24mg or even 36mg - those days must be gone now - even a modest e-cig makes twice as much vapour as the early eGo types.
    One shop gave my friend 6mg and she was still smoking a year later. Too little is as bad a recommendation as too much.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread