RDA your favorite....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crimthann

Verified Member
Jul 13, 2014
Florida
Agreed, it's extremely subjective. I prefer the Twisted Messes RDA, with the airflow almost closed. I personally like the large 4 post holes for fused Claptons, staples, etc. Plus with the airflow closed down and the coils aligned properly it gets good flavor from the under coil airflow. I've tried smaller RDAs because they should have better flavor, but I usually end up with too much spit back off of them.

Reactions: coilspotting

Crimthann

Verified Member
Jul 13, 2014
Florida
The Twisted Messes isn't without its flaws though, still gets hot as hell when subohming, I've switched out the drip tip with an acrylic one, and plan on purchasing a pyrex one. I also find a decent amount of variance between each one, regarding o-ring sizes, and machining variances. So much so where the acrylic drip tip I had made was custom to my rda, since the one that the person that made it used didn't fit mine. Still inexpensive, and I like it until something crazy awesome comes along. :)

Plumes.91

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
United States
my current favorite RDA is either my Smoktech RDA (it's very mini, though idk- i dont think it was named the Smoktech RDA-mini or mini-RDA, it could-of been, I cannot remember now) or perhaps the A7... and the TOHB by "EHpro" comes in 3rd, for sure! (I think that's who cloned it? EHpro?)

The Sailing A7 has ALWAYS been my favorite RDA... 1 reason being: The A7 is capable of being bottom-fed e-liquid, on-top of a Bottom-Feeder mod, such-as the REO. So, I've always had good luck & a-lot of fun with the Sailing A7 RDA, it's great for flavor. It's a bottom-airflow (thru 510) RDA, and the airflow travels through the connection, up through a tube, and out a raised-tube directly below your coil-build. This creates a tight stream of air, focused directly at the coil, creating GREAT flavor & vapor production. When you "squonk" your Reo's e-liquid resevoir bottle, the e-liquid travels-up the same tube, directly hitting & soaking your coil & wick with your juice, resulting in a thoroughly-juiced wick, esp. around the coil area. The A7 is a SMALL chamber RDA, which as we all know, means FLAVOR BLASTER! :) great little RDA for the price, and I would be seriously disappointed to see it ever go discontinued, or become unavailable in the United States!

Next, after the Sailing A7 RDA, is probably my two SmoktechRDA drippers. I'm not sure if these are available any-longer? I received mine from Madvapes for $4.99 and they were this cheap from their very introduction to the market, if i remember correctly! They were always very inexpensive/affordable little RDAs. When I call them "little RDAs" I mean it... These things are some of the smallest RDAs you can find. They measure something-like 14mm around in circumference. (i have no-idea what they really measure in circumference, but it's nowhere NEAR 22mm, and it's gotta be AROUND 15-16mm, I'm guessing?) In other words- TINY! Tiny little RDAs, and that translates to fantastic flavor production, along with good throat hit, in my experience. Yep. These little guys are worth the 'little' price haha. & to make things even-more affordable, they come with a drip-tip that you CANNOT remove. The drip-tip is built into the RDA in a seamless fashion. They look like a milk-bottle, the chamber being the bottom, the drip-tip being the stem & the flared top w/ cap. This THROWS FLAVOR like nobody's business. They make ANY e-liquid shine. & vapor production is nice as-well. They utilize 2 posts, which look brass/copper/some-type of metal that looks bronzed/copper in molecular structure lol. (yknow wut i mean) The top-cap is removable through pulling, not screwing. (there are two O-rings around the bottom/build-deck) The top-cap fits on nice & snug, and the airflow hole is just my size, for a nice tight M2L-hit. Good vapor production, great flavor, and a SOLID allll stainless-steel RDA, including that built-in drip tip. This thing could chip a tooth if handled incorrectly - trust-me - it's a STOUT, SOLID little RDA, for sure. Little Bruiser, lol. Careful w/tha toofs! Probably 1 of the most-affordable RDAs to ever hit the market, and I would buy 5-10 more IF i had the $$! lol seriously, I would... It works that welll... I use mine almost daily on 1 mod or another, yknow? You cant beat the smokRDA for most situations. Not a flashy rda for showing-off in pics on ecf, or showing-off at the vape-shop to inquiring minds, no - but certainly a functional little rda. If I had to bet, should vaping as-we-know-it become a thing of tha past... Should the gov'ment take-away our right to vape, take-away our precious hobby... Should the FDA, the Senate, Congress, our President, the CIA, the NFL... should someone rule that we may no-longer purchase vape-mail geared-toward MODS/APVs, rebuildables w/coil, y'know, the good stuff... I have a feeling that, much like the ....-a-roach, the smokRDA will be the last of my RDAs to become nonfunctional... 4 as-long as I keep-hold of the tiny parts, & assuming the O-rings & 510-connection insulation do-not dry-rot... these'll last forever.

The Tohb, on the other-hand, is a run of the mill RDA. It's got a pretty wide chamber, without chimney... & it's got an airflow control design that allows for a tight draw, or a very loose airflow/draw. I enjoy vaping on it, however, I dislike the airflow design, simply-because, should the top-cap get moved at-all, or if you have-to take the top cap off for any reason, your airflow control is reset each and every time. This sucks, because you then have to reset it, and that can be a PITA... considering, the only way to reset the airflow control is to either take the cap off and place it on the bottom where you'd like the airflow set, OR, you can turn the top-cap while it's on it's base, however this can in-turn, wind-up unscrewing the atty from your device... That-is, unless you turn the top cap in a clockwise fashion. Obvi if you're turning it in a clockwise fashion, it won't unscrew the RDA, but because those two "tabs" (that you use to block the airflow holes) are so small, and so far between, it takes a while to finally find them and dial-in your preferred airflow. To make things worse, I often overshoot my preferred airflow setting, and I wind-up having to continue turning the top-cap until i reach the tab again... & this can wind-up happening to me 2 or 3 times in a row, before I finally get it right, ahaha... But overall, A to B+ RDA.

After my TOHB, I'm really unsure of what would take the pick as my next-favorite... I just recently received two "Plume Veil" clone RDAs which were cloned-by a little company known-as Tobecco. Yes, I know, some of you vapers refer to the Plume Veil rda as the "Plume FAIL rda" due-to it's super-leaking-abilities!! Well, I have-not had enough time or experience with my two Plume "fails" but from the time I have spent w/them, they have-not leaked on me at-all... I assume the leaking issues arrise when you are over-dripping, and when you are attempting to change your airflow settings (the Plume Veil RDA has THREE SEPARATE airflow-settings options... It has holes at the top of the top cap, by your drip tip, that you cannot close + It's got 2 slots in the center (body) section, which you can close via two tabs in the top cap, and it's got a hole in each negative post, which is fed from 1 of 3 holes in the center (body) of the RDA. So, me- Liking a tighter draw, I have been experimenting with closing the slot all but a teeny bit, and I've been trying the vape with the negative-post holes blocked, and open. Thus-far, I am disliking the airflow all-together... It's too airy for me and my 18mg e-liquid & I'm having a very hard time figuring-out a way to make the airflow tighter. Even just the two holes in the top cap (by the drip tip) are probably too-much for my style of vaping, ahaha... So, we'll see- I am assuming these two Plume Veil RDAs will be shelved & eventually PIF'd or sold, unfortunately. I wish I had chosen 2 different RDAs during the VB sale. I might have two RDAs that I can use, right now. But I am optimistic tht I am going to figure-out a way to USE these Plume Veil RDAs in a way that satisfies me... Perhaps I just need to continue experimenting with the two user-controllable airflow options? Perhaps I just need to use a lower MG nicotine (I have two lower MG nicotine juices on their way for use with subbing, so, perhaps I will enjoy those e-liquids in the Plume-Veil RDAs? We'll soon see, won't we?

EDIT- Pulled it out. Just figured-out it's very easy to block the top holes (by the drip-tip) w/your lips. With those two top holes blocked, the 2 holes in the neg posts blocked, & a small end of each slit open, the Plume-Veil RDA is giving me some damn nice hits. I'm enjoying this RDA as of just-now, haha. I will most-likely continue to enjoy using this RDA so-long as it continues to work/hit as well as I'm getting it to hit now, with my lips blocking the top two holes. Great design, for anybody that enjoys BIG AIRFLOW RDAs, obviously. I'll admit, not the best throat-hit out of my few RDAs, but it's certainly hitting smoothly, and it has a nice big juice-well. i'm going to be experimenting with this one, for the next week, and I may just wind-up enjoying it, we'll see. I may wind-up liking these things. If-NOT, PM me. If you dont have many RDAs, I may be willing to gift them to you. (or trade ya for something I dont have, like ... cotton or O rings or coil-heads? idk, hmu. Considering the sheer kindness some ECF members av' shown me in the past/present, i can show tha same.

NEXT UP- My ORIGINAL Phoenix, and Original Rainbow RDA (PhoenixV2) both from Gotvapes. Both were pretty run-of-the-mill design RDAs. The PhoenixV1 was a cylinder with airhole in it's side, two posts, knurling accents, and it came with a black plastic drip-tip. Did it work well? Yes. Tight draw? Hell yeah. Did I like the tight-draw? Pretty-much, yep! Do I use it any-longer? Nope. Why: Ugly as all heck. PhoenixV2- A little flashier than the V1, lol... Did I like the design when I bought it: Nope! Do I like it now: No. WHY: Because it's got an EGO sleeve 4 use w/ ego batts, and, I never used RDAs on my ego batts, lol. & guess what? It looks like a sore big toe that's been stretched from the foot. Sad... Sad that I didn't git more use outta it, but, it now sits in my ceramic bowl of failed vape-gear, unfortunately. Both PhoenixV1&V2 rarely got used over the years, although I do pull-out and USE the V1 time to time, and keep it in rotation these days, if-only to allow me to use more of my mods without having to unscrew and in-screw an RDA into the 1 i want to use. Yes, the V1 is ugly due-to it's simplicity. Yes, the V2 is ugly, because it's so fat on the top & so skinny @ the bottom, and you just CANT use it w/out the ego sleeve, it's too ugly! & with the sleeve on it, it's wobbly, it's annoying, it's all-around an annoying little RDA that I'd only pull-out for conversation, in most cases :p

After the PhoenixV1&V2 is the Nova. You read correctly. I direct-dripped into my Vivi Nova tanks. Yes, they were TOP COIL tanks. YES, they had replacement coils. Did I rebuild the replacement coils: Yes. Was rebuilding the replacement coils easy: for the most part. Did I enjoy direct-dripping into the Nova tank: Yup! The nova-tank is a top coil clearomizer tank. Therefore, it utilized 510 connection airflow :D this meant airflow quite similar to my favorite RDA, the Sailing A7. The Nova tanks (which I had a good amnt of) were great for dripping for various reasons including the airflow type. I liked that I could partially fill the tank, I could-then use the tank as a dripper, and the Silica wicks would pull excess liquid away from the coil, preventing over-dripping (for the most-part) if I REALLY over-dripped, it'd flood the mod's female 510. (not good!) but for the most-part, those silica tendrils kept that from happening ;) I used Nova tanks as drippers almost SOLELY for QUITE a WHILE, back then. & I truly enjoyed it, & regularly recommended it to others. In-fact, if you search for my posts during that period, you'll find plenty of my posts describing how-to rebuild the vivi-nova heads, how to maximize them, (mod them to make them the best coil-heads they could-be) and, how to direct-drip w/ the vivi tanks. Was it unconventional? Sure. Did it work well? YES. I enjoyed it.

that's what Ive got. enjoy the vape journey brotha.

Last edited:
Reactions: MMW

Verb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2014
Eastern, PA, USA
Do you have any pictures of that Frankenatty?

I had to change out the stock screws for grubs to avoid shorting the positive post screws on the topcap. There is a little lip at the bottom of the CLT that stops the topcap at the perfect height.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Reactions: sonicbomb

LilWhiteClouder

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2015
Raleigh, NC
Glacier V2 for me today. Clouds and some flavor added in. Deep juice well. Simple to build on. Super large post holes that actually grip wires! Super airy on the intake.
Glacier 1.JPG

Here's an ugly build on it that produces alot of clouds. .22ohm twisted + round wires paralleled (I've forgotten the wires used).
Glacier 2.JPG

Reactions: MMW
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread