Status
Not open for further replies.

WharfRat1976

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2014
Austin, Texas
I'm really liking my authentic Mephisto v1. It's fairly compact compared to the CLT that I had been using (although don't get me wrong, I like the CLT 2 as well), and the giant post holes make it super easy to build on. Flavor is good for an rda that most seem to consider a cloud-chaser design. And as a bonus, it looks awesome with the copper AFC on my copper SMPL.

The main detractor from it is the cost, but clones are readily available and some of them are apparently pretty decent. I just got lucky and was able to pick mine up in a trade.

X20 but authentic only. I have long not used my AFC. It's useless other than for eye candy. M E P H I S T O Posts never move so you can torque your wires endlessly. Huge post holes and the cap design creates incredible vapor and flavor.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Hello all! About a month ago I took the plunge and bought a patriot atty. My first rda and I now like and prefer it over my other equipment. Well I'm looking for a few more rda's so I don't have to rewick to change flavors.

My problem is there are just tons of them on the market. Clones and authentics the like. Some unique others appear the same as other models. From what I can tell the majority are made in the orient. Nothing wrong with that to me as long as the quality is there in materials and workmanship. There are also the subtle differences not noticeable by the naked eye or just from descriptions and photos on the websites selling them. So I thought I'd ask the community what is your favorite rda's and why?

For those who are curious my vaping preference is for flavor followed by vapor production. I like good clean flavor but I'm not after in my face flavor either. I also don't consider myself a cloud chaser but I don't mind more vapor. I'm currently using Istick 20w and 30w I also have a full mech mod on the way for the juices I can handle at full power. Some juices are too harsh for me too high. Some are harsh down to low.

Thanks all!

I love the ease of build, deep juice capacity, and the indestructibleness of the magma with it's screw down topcap, but the plastic insulator down in the juice well eventually gets to me compared to vaping on my veritas.

Veritas; one one big airhole to worry about; 30mm version is perfect for a single coil build

23skidoo

ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
Southern CA
I think flavor is a function is of airflow hole size, chamber size, drip tip bore and length, and coil positioning relative to air holes. I can set up most of my RDAs to get very similar flavor and vapor performance, what makes me prefer one RDA over another is convenience of building, airflow adjustment, juice capacity, and leak resistance.

The Magma is one of the easiest to build, but the airflow ring can slide around and the top cap is threaded, which can make re dripping a hassle. The Tobh is my all around favorite because it's easy to remove the top cap and the air flow large and the flavor is great when you place the coils right next to the air holes. The Derringer is my next favorite due to it's small size and intense small chamber flavor.

The Marquis is a dream to build and is very leak resistant.

I drip through my drip tip and choose a wide bore tip for that reason. I rarely take the top off my magma clone, or manta clone unless I need to change wicks or check on a possible issue. I run my magma clone with no AFC ring on it, though I've heard some clones have issues with shorting out if you do that. I have 2 magmas from 2 different suppliers and neither has had that issue. A quick dry pull after I drip clears any liquid that may have gotten into the air flow holes and I'm good to go.

The Derringer and Marquis are both interesting to me. However 3 post attys are kind of pointless to me since I only run dual coils in my drippers. I really like the symmetry of a 2 post dual coil build. I run dual verticals in my Veritas, but I question the airflow only hitting half of each coil, and the Marquis seems to fix that. It just seems that the leak resistance of the Veritas' air hole placement is lost on the airhole placement of the Marquis when tilted.

I'd love a dripper that is designed like the Manta but has a threaded top cap that lines up the interior air hole right in the center of the posts every time. I spent 3 days camping with that atty banging around in my pocket and didn't have it leak at all, but the top cap almost got knocked off a couple times while in my pocket. I'm not fan of fussy attys, especially leaky attys.

Necrotic

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2014
Lawrenceville, GA
I like the Little Boy. Great flavor, good airflow, great vapor production(if you know how to inhale/exhale properly) and a killer logo :laugh:

Like the fat man? :D

Mine right now is my derringer clone. Ordered the SS post version from FT and got it today. Small as hell and very nice. Easy to build on and great flavor. Only downside is the drip tip can get a bit hot. Going to order a black SS top cap and a red and black PMMA drip tip :D will look awesome on my red sigelei

SmokingAStogie

Feb 13, 2015
Austin TX
Like the fat man? :D

Mine right now is my derringer clone. Ordered the SS post version from FT and got it today. Small as hell and very nice. Easy to build on and great flavor. Only downside is the drip tip can get a bit hot. Going to order a black SS top cap and a red and black PMMA drip tip :D will look awesome on my red sigelei

Like the fat man? what?

Necrotic

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2014
Lawrenceville, GA
Did another build on the vertex v2 give it another try. Its good but from the ones I have I like the Marquis.
If had to go buy another one Im eyeing the Hobo v2.

The hobo is great but the screws on the center post block can strip very easily. At least the clone I had did after the 2nd build rendering it useless.

jaxgator

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Did another build on the vertex v2 give it another try. Its good but from the ones I have I like the Marquis.
If had to go buy another one Im eyeing the Hobo v2.

The hobo is great but the screws on the center post block can strip very easily. At least the clone I had did after the 2nd build rendering it useless.

I have an authentic Hobo v2 and it is a fantastic RDA. It's currently my favorite. I haven't had any issues with the screws stripping and I build it with 24g kanthal.

whosrandy

ECF Veteran
Aug 23, 2013
I'm loving my Mutation X V3, it's a beast. I just wish there were more aftermarket drip top options without having to resort to a 510 converter cap.

It's my favorite at the moment as well. Also really enjoying the El Cabron and Troll v1.5

After losing a screw to my CLT v2+, Mutation x V1 has taken the driver seat. It's such a great atty - simplistic but well made.

I need to make a post and find out how it compares to the other versions.

TorontoOntario

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 13, 2014
Canada
So many people are in love with the Mutation X. I own a couple and to me the flavor is not that good at all. It chucks the clouds, belive you me it chucks the clouds BUT I cant get that tasty flavor from it I do with other attys. My juices are EXTREMELY muted in the Mutation compared to something like the Tugboat, Hobo, Zenith or Derringer. I have put a ton of builds into it and I have a couple of them and after awhile I just said forget it and put two away and one on top of a Sig 150 at .1 for when I want to really chuck some clouds lol. On another unrelated note I just grabbed an Infinite CLT in black...ganna put a parallel 24g .25 ohm build in it in a bit and see how she does.

whosrandy

ECF Veteran
Aug 23, 2013
If you're getting a Mutation X, make sure you get the V3, since the V2 has those janky triangle grub screws. Also, it's really meant for high wattages--well above 60W. It shines at 80-100W on a regulated box mod.
Yes sir. As does the MX V1. I rock .15 to .2 dual coil fused claptons which pull 80-120 watts on my mechs fully charged. Flavorful cloud city.

I was planning on going with the V3 =)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

juicynoos

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
"Paradox", French West Indies
+ 1 for the Reo's, if that's your thing but as rda's go:

Origen v2 clones are the s--- for flavor, limited airflow but you can leave the top off and go for broke. I find they get very hot fast which transfers downwards!!

Magma is great in it's simplicity with 2 post design, great flavor and reasonable vapor production. With experience you can minimize the leaking issue through the air channels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread