“Build Back Better” just passed the House, and the Nicotine Tax now is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
    As I understand, it is about half what the original tax was, and doesn't apply to combustibles at all. Both liquids and combustibles had a tax on them in the original, but it was higher on the liquids. I read somewhere (a CASAA announcement I think) that the nic in liquids was fully taxed and only 1.8 mgs out of an average 10 mgs in combustibles was taxed.

Vapeon4Life

ECF Veteran
    Aug 28, 2020
    Nevada, USA

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
    HR4742.png
    This bill was making its' Congress rounds way back in 2019. It's very similar, if not the same, as the 'new' proposal. H.R.4742 - 116th Congress (2019-2020): Protecting American Lungs Act of 2019

• Agree
    Reactions: zoiDman

Train2

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 11, 2013
    CA, USA
    I've come across this chart too.
    View attachment 963005
    That looks exactly correct. Pretty sure whoever wrote the bill just intended to slap $5 on a "typical" retail bottle - 30 mls of 6mg.
    If this insanity passes, I'll need some more nic. I'm more than halfway to "Lifetime supply," but even though I figure there will be workarounds eventually, it's probably easier to just finish stocking up and relax about it.

borno

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 31, 2019
    land of pleasant living
    maybe this will start a grow your own N.E.T. buisness, like Dooley with his 40gal. still. They will have helicopter surveillance looking for tobacco fields. Meanwhile kids are bringing pot gummies to school. With the cost of heating oil, gas, groceries and 80 thousand more irs agents, I don't think the "tax the rich" crap was quite truthful.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    The “Build Back Better” just passed the House and will go to the Senate.

Can the Senate change the Nicotine tax?

Short Answer: Yes. Absolutely.

Longer Answer: Any Reduction to the Amount of Tax Revenues gained from this Bill could trigger some Democratic Moderates to Baulk at the Total Expenditure without Proportional Reduction in Spending (Offsets) somewhere else.

Or a Means of making up the Tax Revenue must be found => New Taxes or a Higher Rate on an Existing Tax Basis.

What the House sent the Senate is by No Means a Finished Bill. And Many have Criticized the Houses Leadership for send the Senate something that they know is Not Passable in it Current Form.

Needing 50 (Reconciliation) Senate Votes means you are going to Need EVERY Democratic Senator to Vote for this Legislation. Because there will be No Republican Votes for it.

So Any Democratic Senator has the Power to put the Kibosh on this Legislation. Which Doesn't leave Senate Leadership a lot of wiggle room. Especially if 2 or 3 Senators say they have a Problem with a Speeding Bill that Doesn't Pay for itself. And as it stands, this one Doesn't.

Whether or Not the Nicotine Tax remains Unchanged or is Modified is yet to be seen. There just aren't that many in Congress who view Smokers as anything more that 2nd Class Citizens with Utter to Squeeze. And "Vapers" are held to an even Lower Judgement by most of those.

BTW - Referring to what is going on as a "Nicotine Tax" just reinforces the "Goebbels-esk" PR Campaign that is constantly being waged against us.

A Nicotine Tax would Effect All Products that contain Nicotine. At least Vaguely Proportional. This Tax Main Victim is e-Liquids. So it should be Called what it Really is...

An Exorbitated Tax on e-Liquids for those who want a Better Choice than Smoking by using an e-Cigarettes. But I guess that Doesn't fit in well with that "We're from the Government and We're here to Help You" message they keep pitching.

BTW - When the Tax on a Product is Greater that the Cost of the Product being Sold, it's time to Throw the Tea in the Harbor. Figuratively of course.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread