0.7 ohm Aspire Coil Rebuild Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toma S.

May 13, 2017
Hi all,

I tried making one coil with 0.22 mm Kanthal A and it came out as very high resistance coil. I disassembled one of my old coils and I found the strangest thing. It's a single coil but half of it is dual strand. I'm attaching a pic -hopefully you can see it there looking like a double helix in the middle. I guess one strand is resistance the other is no-resistance wire. Problem is there's no way I can make that sort of coil on my own unless there's some technique for that.
I ordered a thicker NiChrom wire and will try with it but I'm pretty sure I'm not going to be able to go down to 0.7 but rather somewhere around 1+. Will report on progress.

Cheers,
T.

Attachments

• 20171030_090956_HDR.jpg
    20171030_090956_HDR.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 49

Toma S.

May 13, 2017
Hi all,

Just wanted to check in with a quick update on this since I almost got the perfect 0.7 coil done.

- I got a 0.3 mm (28 AWG) wire for my build. Doing 6/5 turns initially gave me a really close reading but now after wicking it comes up at 1 ohm. Anyway, that's not an ideal wire to use because one of the legs (the one coming from the top, the negative) is too long and on high wattage it could melt the rubber grommet or just waste energy. Instead I have ordered and will be using Non-Resistance - Resistance - Non-Resistance wire measured at 0.8 Ohm from Fasttech. The inner diameter to wrap around is 2.4 - 2.5 mm on the stock coil.

- I used a 25 mm long strip of Koh Gen Do cotton - those rectangular pieces that have the harder-pressed cotton on both sides. I didn't peel either of the sides as suggested in one rebuild video and instead used the whole "sandwich". The width is as long as the coil + 1-2 mm on either side but that would depend on the build I guess. To be honest that's a bit too much cotton IMO - I can feel lower wicking rates so I'll try with 22 or 20 mm length next time.

- I clipped the two metal petals on the base plate of the stock head. These are a nightmare to deal with and rebuild so I did away with them using this method: Makes all the difference in the world when rebuilding.

- Once the coil and cotton are done, I insert them from the bottom up, until they get close to or touch the lip under which you normally put the steel screen. Then, before clipping the long wires, insert the base plate with the clipped petals. And after that you put on the grommet and center pin and clip the wires. If you put the base plate in first, it will be a lot harder if not impossible to insert the coil.

Out of all the videos out there that employ different techniques I find this combination of the same works best - it's super fast and easy.

Cheers all!

• Informative
Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread