• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

1 week perspective on vaping and not smoking

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpinDr480

ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Note: I posted this in the new members forum earlier today, but I have been following this group mostly and thought I would share as a fellow Arizonan.
___________________________________________________________________________________________
Hey everyone, this is my first post on this forum but I have been an avid reader over the last week since I started this vaping journey. After a week of quitting a 1 1/2 a pack a day habit, I have my own thoughts and perspective based upon my experience during my first full week.

I should note, there are so many different ways people use vaping to help them quit smoking. This is just what has worked for me, and maybe it will help some that are looking to jump in as well.

1. Go to a Brick and Mortar

• If you have the option in the area you live, go to brick and mortar store for buying your starter kit. It may cost a little more than what the the online sites promote, but the advantage of talking to an expert when getting your first vaping kit is priceless. The vaping process can get overwhelmed from the set up, to the refilling, to the new terms that you never heard before. Going into a brick and mortar will not only give you someone to explain it, but most likely you will get home and think of other questions you didn't think of at the time. Having the store available, will give you someone to talk to whenever you have questions. In one week, I have stopped in a vaping store almost every day and learned something new each time.

• I've been in 4 brick and mortar stores so far (yeah, I'm kind of obsessed) and each store the staff could not be any more friendly or passionate about vaping. My fear before going in was that these staff were going to be aggressive sales people trying to get you buy some "gimmick" or some head shop where a bunch of stoners (not that there is anything wrong with that) are more interested in selling you a ..... These misconceptions I had prior were completely wrong, so go in and ask questions and hear their stories. It is pretty amazing.

• Stay away from the mall eCig kiosks. I'm sure there are some great ones and I hate to lump them all together, but I found them overpriced and aggressive salespeople. I assume they work on commission, which makes them try to up sell you, unlike a business owner that wants you to succeed in your journey and gain a longtime customer in the process.

• In addition to the staff at the B&M stores, you run into so many great people in these stores. Many are trying out new flavors or upgrading their starter kits. They make you excited to start the new venture and return each day. I am fortunate to have one right by my work, and I love being able to go over at lunch trying new flavors and talking to people in a vape lounge setting.

2. Find Other People that Vape

• I got into vaping because someone in my smoking circle in our office building started using it and had success. Every avid smoker that works a desk job knows that these smoking circles exists, because we shared that common habit together. In any event, our former smoking friend would still come down while we smoked and he vaped. We would also ask questions, and eventually "one-by-one" more of our smoking group started vaping. Before I knew it there were only two of us smokers left and 5 vapors. I started getting annoyed because all they did was talk about their vaping experience. However, now that I started I see why they all talked about it. First off, it's because you're amazed how easy it is to quit...Second off, you share that common bond of getting off the cigs. It's like one big support group of ex smokers. If you have other smokers in your life ready to make the jump, see if they will jump in with you. If not, use this forum to be your support group to talk about the exciting world you just entered.

3. Know if Side Effects Are From Quitting or Vaping

• One of the helpful parts about this forum is that it gives you a lot of information on how people's body reacts once you start vaping. The reason it is important is because many of the things you think are happening to you are actually a result of coming off the other toxins in cigarettes. For me, the most noticeable were some minor digestive issues but nothing major. As far as vaping side effects, the one side effect for me what trying to get my nicotine levels correct. I will elaborate more on that, because for me it was the biggest challenge this week.

4. How Much Nicotine Is Too Much

• This has been an ongoing self discovery for me to get the right amount of nicotine. The first day of vaping, I quickly discovered that I just enjoy the feeling from vaping. So much so that I started getting dizzy from taking in to much nicotine. It was frustrating because I wanted to keep vaping for the sensation, but had to slow down to not get so much nicotine which was causing me to feel a little "spacy" and had trouble sleeping that night. So the next day, I went out and got my favorite flavors with no nicotine it. I have used it to balance out, by either mixing high nicotine juice with the zero nicotine juice, or I also have one carto filled with the high nicotine juice for when I need that quick hit and then use the zero to low nicotine levels for puffing on all day. Now I just need to get my battery to last me long enough :)

5. What do I miss about Smoking?

• Simple answer, absolutely nothing. I find this to be the "magic" of the eCig. I was talking to my grandfather about this since he is a smoker, and wanted to learn about this. He asked me that exact question, and all I could think of was "Nothing, it's weird to say but I actually enjoy vaping more." There are times when I still think like a smoker. For example, I still like to go outside to puff when I want to get away from what I am doing to clear my mind. During those times, I will usually use my higher nicotine level juice. That way it mentally feels like I am still rewarding myself, like I use to do when I would reward myself with a smoke. I actually still catch myself subconsciously looking for my lighter thinking I need it to smoke, but that is just more of a split second thought that doesn't make me feel like I am missing out on smoking.

6. What about Flavor?

• The most amazing part for me about vaping is that I didn't even go a day before I stopped using the eJuice flavor that tastes like a cigarette. I'm not the only one that experienced this either, the guy that sold me my starter kit told me he did the same thing, as well as many other Vapors I have met this week. I never thought I would be someone that liked to try fruity flavors, or anything that didn't taste like a Marlboro Light. I would highly recommend everyone buying a starter kit and still get an eJuice flavor that most resembles a cigarette, but I would also recommend you buy one additional tank and another eJuice that isn't cigarette taste. For me, it was Vanilla. After the first couple hours, I found myself only smoking the Vanilla flavor. That same day, I went back to the store and bought one more sweet flavor and a third tank. Since then, I haven't even touched my tobacco flavor and have bought five other flavors I enjoy. The best part about eCigs for me is switching out tanks to try new flavors throughout the day. Now I enjoy a Vanilla Vape with my coffee, a Sweeter Vape after I eat, a Mellow Flavor to vape during day, a Higher Nicotine Vape to have when I have a drink or step outside to get away.

7. Other Stuff that Has Helped Me

• The day I went to buy my eCig I had already smoked my usually group of morning cigarettes. I had no intention of quitting that day. I bought it to use during the work day so I could join my other coworker vapors and then smoke still during the times I enjoyed it the most: at night, after I ate, when I had a drink or two, and with my morning coffee. With that said, it didn't work out that way. I just didn't crave them again, so I tested myself to see how long I could go without having one and I still have that last pack of mine in my car with no intention or desire of touching it. However, I don't know if I will slip in the future. If I do, it won't be the end of the world and like my failed attempts in the past I won't be go right back to my pack a day habit. The reason is I know have my eCig to fall back on and like I told my grandpa, I enjoy vaping more than smoking.

I hope this wasn't too long for you all, I just needed to tell my story and my friends and family are kind of sick of me talking about this all the time this week...So I thought you would be a good audience, and maybe even help some jump in to the vaping community.

Cheers

Hellen A. Handbasket

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2009
San Tan Valley, Arizona
Great read and nice job. Thanks for posting it here.

I agree about the Brick and Mortar shops. I didn't have any here when I started. LOL Everyone was on line only, but we did have some local vendors wayyyyyy back then (2 or 3 with mostly starter kits, 2 or 3 with only e-liquid).

You "new kids" have got it good starting out today. LOL Much better technology/options and B&M shops.
Cheers,
Hellen

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
My experience was similar but different, took me about 2 and 1/2 years to finally make the full swap to e-cigs, but it was because I finally walked into a full B&M shop that had the equipment and staff to point me in the right direction. My 2 Ego 1000mah passthrough kit has since been handed down to a co-worker to get him off the stinkies, but yes, I would have to agree, having other ex-smokers now vapers helps a lot, or to have at least 1 experienced vaper as a mentor goes far in mileage to get others off stinkies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread