100% VG? Compatible Equipment? Recommendations? HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcurtis208

Jun 7, 2011
Boise, ID
Hi Everyone,

I've tried e-cigarettes before but it didn't last long. I've recently had a friend give me The Riva from a local retail store we have in Boise, ID. I think it is this one: Vapoligy RIVA Black Basic Kit<br />

The e-liquid I have is like 50/50 for PG and VG but like before I cough almost every time I inhale the stuff. I'd like to try 100% VG or something close to it, but I'm not sure if my equipment currently is able to handle e-liquid that thick or if I would need to order a different part to support it. Recommendations on that and any vendors/suppliers for 100% VG would be appreciated. Ideally I'd like to have a sample pack.

Note: I've reviewed several of the recommendations on how to inhale the vapor but unfortunately the effect happens every-time regardless if I suck it into my mouth before I inhale

Equipment Specifications (i think):
2- Riva Black 900mAh batteries (Manual)
1- Riva Black Atomizers
1- Riva Black Vanity Cones
1- Stardust V3.1
1- 10 Pack Round Cartridges (empty)
1- USB Charger
1- USB/Wall Converter
1- Instruction Manual
Battery: 4.2v~3.3v @ 900mAh
Atomizer: Resistance Range: 3.4Ω +/-.2Ω

Mike36609

ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2012
Mobile, AL
I vape 100% VG from those vendors that provide that option, and max VG from other vendors. Never had any problems with using cartos - as long as they ARE NOT Boge - Smok Tech Cartos are much, much better, especially for thick juice. I also use Kanger T3, EVOD and Pro Tank with no problems at all with thick juice.

Good vendors for 100% VG (I'm sure there are others too) are...

Alien Visions E-Juice
Heather's Heavenly Vapes
Virgin Vapor

I also buy juice from Mt. Baker Vapor, though 100% VG is not an option with them, so I order Max VG.

If your juice does seem a little thick for your equipment you can always dilute with a few drops of distilled water. A couple of drops in a 5ml bottle should suffice. I have played around with this in the past, though I have never found it to be a necessity.

When I first started vaping with PG laden juices I had sinus problems - nose bleeds, scratchy ears/throat, and those symptoms disappeared when I switched to VG.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

bcurtis208

Jun 7, 2011
Boise, ID
I vape 100% VG from those vendors that provide that option, and max VG from other vendors. Never had any problems with using cartos - as long as they ARE NOT Boge - Smok Tech Cartos are much, much better, especially for thick juice. I also use Kanger T3, EVOD and Pro Tank with no problems at all with thick juice.

Good vendors for 100% VG (I'm sure there are others too) are...

Alien Visions E-Juice
Heather's Heavenly Vapes
Virgin Vapor

I also buy juice from Mt. Baker Vapor, though 100% VG is not an option with them, so I order Max VG.

If your juice does seem a little thick for your equipment you can always dilute with a few drops of distilled water. A couple of drops in a 5ml bottle should suffice. I have played around with this in the past, though I have never found it to be a necessity.

When I first started vaping with PG laden juices I had sinus problems - nose bleeds, scratchy ears/throat, and those symptoms disappeared when I switched to VG.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for your response. I've heard a lot of good things about Heather's Heavenly Vapes I think I will give them a try. I looked at their sample pack, unfortunately it doesn't allow the option for PG/VG ratio to be modified but maybe that would at least tell me which ones I'd like to get in 100% VG.

jgoss

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2013
United States
If you are new to vaping you have to remember...it isn't smoke. Steam (what you are now inhaling) is actually heavier than smoke. Don't believe me? Get some vape into your mouth and slowly blow it into a glass. It goes right to the bottom and you can actually pour it out. It fills your lungs differently. It just takes a few days to get used to it. Also, if you are off the cigs, coughing is your bodies way of ridding your lungs of all the crap that is in them. I had a chronic smokers cough, when I went to vaping, it got worse for about 2 weeks, then cleared up. I hear this is pretty normal for some people. Also, as others have said, you don't need anything special for VG. I would recommend that you get something like an Evod atomizer, and give it a try. Cheap, and better flavor than the riva stuff IMO.

bcurtis208

Jun 7, 2011
Boise, ID
If you are new to vaping you have to remember...it isn't smoke. Steam (what you are now inhaling) is actually heavier than smoke. Don't believe me? Get some vape into your mouth and slowly blow it into a glass. It goes right to the bottom and you can actually pour it out. It fills your lungs differently. It just takes a few days to get used to it. Also, if you are off the cigs, coughing is your bodies way of ridding your lungs of all the crap that is in them. I had a chronic smokers cough, when I went to vaping, it got worse for about 2 weeks, then cleared up. I hear this is pretty normal for some people. Also, as others have said, you don't need anything special for VG. I would recommend that you get something like an Evod atomizer, and give it a try. Cheap, and better flavor than the riva stuff IMO.

Is this something that would be compatible with the Riva battery? The Evod atomizer I mean. I've been trying the e cigs for about a week now with same results. I'm not sure if the Riva is 510 or something so if you know so I can browse accessories that would be appreciated.

Mike36609

ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2012
Mobile, AL
Thank you for your response. I've heard a lot of good things about Heather's Heavenly Vapes I think I will give them a try. I looked at their sample pack, unfortunately it doesn't allow the option for PG/VG ratio to be modified but maybe that would at least tell me which ones I'd like to get in 100% VG.

You can always make your own sample pack by ordering 4 to 6 of the 6ml bottles and try what you want. It's a little more expensive to do it this way I know, but I have never really liked the ultra small sample bottles that some vendors use, by the time you decide you like the juice you have emptied the bottle, not a knock against HHV, others vendors do this too.

Oh, and I forgot to add Johnson Creek Smoke Juice to the 100% VG vendors. Their Red Oak line is 100% VG, the juices are pretty good, really love Tennessee Cured, though others don't like it, and I have found their shipping to be very fast.

Good luck.

jgoss

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2013
United States
Yes, Bcurtis, the Evod is compatible with your riva batteries. You riva's have what is called "ego cone threads" which basically means it is threaded on the outside. The evod attaches to that. You can also use 510 devices that screw into the inner threads (like a cartomizer or a protank etc). The Riva is pretty standard and you can use almost anything on those batteries.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
Is this something that would be compatible with the Riva battery? The Evod atomizer I mean. I've been trying the e cigs for about a week now with same results. I'm not sure if the Riva is 510 or something so if you know so I can browse accessories that would be appreciated.

The Riva is eGo compatible, so the Evod will work right out of the mailbox. Get genuine Kanger equipment. The clones have a sketchy reputation.

I can't vouch for other vendors, but Discount Vapers sells the real deal and that's a reasonable price.

Kanger eVod Clearomizers

Coastal Cowboy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
Oh, and I forgot to add Johnson Creek Smoke Juice to the 100% VG vendors. Their Red Oak line is 100% VG, the juices are pretty good, really love Tennessee Cured, though others don't like it, and I have found their shipping to be very fast.

Good luck.

Agreed. JC's Red Oak line is among the best VG juices I've tried. I have a tankful of Domestic right now and the bottle's getting kinda low.

BTW, neighbor... Have you been to Vapor Time yet? It's a B&M outfit with stores in Mobile and Spanish Fort. Typical B&M prices but great customer service and "try before you buy" juices. They carry Halo, Mr. E-Liquid, Flavor by Joe, Dekang and their own brand.

Da300Mann

ECF Veteran
Jun 6, 2013
Benton, Arkansas, United States
I vape 100% VG from those vendors that provide that option, and max VG from other vendors. Never had any problems with using cartos - as long as they ARE NOT Boge.

Why would you have a problem with 100% VG in a Boge?? I run Boges all the time with mixes from 100% VG to a 50/50 and never had any trouble.

Coastal Cowboy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
What's the life expectancy of something like the eVod? What would ur ecommend for sampling or switching out flavors I don't want to fill something like this with sample stuff I don't think.

The tank itself is nearly indestructible (unless you vape juices known to crack plastic tanks). The coils on the bottom base have about a 1-2 week lifespan. They're replaceable and can be had from $1 to $2 depending on where you buy them and how many at a time. At a B&M store, expect to pay $3 or so for new Evod coils.

Some folks here rebuild rather than replace the coils and save some money doing so. For me, it's easier just to replace the coils. I don't have time to rebuild.

See link for a list of juices that might not be save in an Evod (or any other plastic tank).

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ices-flavors-crack-tanks-ce2s-clearos-10.html

Edit: To try different juices, just make sure you clean the tank and coil with super hot water. I soak mine in about 1-1/2 cup of water, brought to near boiling. Let'em soak, rinse'em, let'em dry, fill'em and vape.

Last edited:

Mike36609

ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2012
Mobile, AL
Why would you have a problem with 100% VG in a Boge?? I run Boges all the time with mixes from 100% VG to a 50/50 and never had any trouble.

I bought a bunch of Boge cartos through my favorite juice vendor at the time, a couple of dozen cartos, this was the single worst purchase I have ever made in vaping. This would have been around Spring 2012, these cartos were terrible beyond description, the filler material would not absorb any juice at all, it was like pouring oil on a glaze covered brick. If you were patient enough you could eventually get the filler to absorb some juice, maybe around 20-22 drops, but it took a long time. Whereas a Smok carto of the same size would easily absorb 34-36 drops within a few minutes, so the Boge's never got fully saturated, which meant to keep them from burning you were required to almost constantly keeping dripping into the carto to keep the filler wet.

I have burned three cartos in my life and they were all Boge's. I have vaped many, many cartos, of all sizes, cartos until recently were all that I used for vaping, I know how to properly fill and maintain them better than most folks you will run into on ECF, I love a good fresh carto with a little Hype or Tennessee Cured, not much better in vaping for me, but I would stop vaping if I had to use Boge cartos.

Although you didn't mention how you use Boge's, I suspect that you use them in carto tanks, and maybe they are passable in that type of system, as they are constantly wet anyway. If you can make Boge cartos work outside of a tank setup with 100% VG juice along the lines of Bobas Bounty, Gorilla Juice, or Hype, more power to you; I'm glad they work for you and you like them, I despise them.

Sorry if I came across as angry with anything I said above, believe me I am not upset with you, I just think Boge cartos are beyond terrible.

Keep on Vapin!:vapor:

Da300Mann

ECF Veteran
Jun 6, 2013
Benton, Arkansas, United States
I bought a bunch of Boge cartos through my favorite juice vendor at the time, a couple of dozen cartos, this was the single worst purchase I have ever made in vaping. This would have been around Spring 2012, these cartos were terrible beyond description, the filler material would not absorb any juice at all, it was like pouring oil on a glaze covered brick. If you were patient enough you could eventually get the filler to absorb some juice, maybe around 20-22 drops, but it took a long time. Whereas a Smok carto of the same size would easily absorb 34-36 drops within a few minutes, so the Boge's never got fully saturated, which meant to keep them from burning you were required to almost constantly keeping dripping into the carto to keep the filler wet.

I have burned three cartos in my life and they were all Boge's. I have vaped many, many cartos, of all sizes, cartos until recently were all that I used for vaping, I know how to properly fill and maintain them better than most folks you will run into on ECF, I love a good fresh carto with a little Hype or Tennessee Cured, not much better in vaping for me, but I would stop vaping if I had to use Boge cartos.

Although you didn't mention how you use Boge's, I suspect that you use them in carto tanks, and maybe they are passable in that type of system, as they are constantly wet anyway. If you can make Boge cartos work outside of a tank setup with 100% VG juice along the lines of Bobas Bounty, Gorilla Juice, or Hype, more power to you; I'm glad they work for you and you like them, I despise them.

Sorry if I came across as angry with anything I said above, believe me I am not upset with you, I just think Boge cartos are beyond terrible.

Keep on Vapin!:vapor:

No No, not at all! I understand!

When I first started on Boges, I had trouble too! But, seeing I had 25, I had to figure it out QUICK!

What I learned, is hole placement, size and even the number of punches is critical to Boge cartos!

For REALLY thick stuff, like Boba's Bounty, you gotta run them WFO (an old racing term, not suitable for some eyes)! Some "slot" Boges, but I'll punch 4 holes for the THICK stuff!

Mike36609

ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2012
Mobile, AL
No No, not at all! I understand!

When I first started on Boges, I had trouble too! But, seeing I had 25, I had to figure it out QUICK!

What I learned, is hole placement, size and even the number of punches is critical to Boge cartos!

For REALLY thick stuff, like Boba's Bounty, you gotta run them WFO (an old racing term, not suitable for some eyes)! Some "slot" Boges, but I'll punch 4 holes for the THICK stuff!

But I use my cartos naked, that is with out a tank, just the PV, the carto and the juice. I tried carto tanks a year or so ago and never really liked them as well as just the carto, my favorite being a Smok XL 2.5 ohm. As just a standalone Boge cartos just are no good.

Within the past six weeks or so I have started using the various Kanger bottom coil tanks, and though I believe that cartos have an edge in in taste and hit, the convenience of the BCC makes them hard to beat.

:toast:

Mike36609

ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2012
Mobile, AL
BTW, neighbor... Have you been to Vapor Time yet? It's a B&M outfit with stores in Mobile and Spanish Fort. Typical B&M prices but great customer service and "try before you buy" juices. They carry Halo, Mr. E-Liquid, Flavor by Joe, Dekang and their own brand.

Yep, been in there twice, first time a month or so ago and really liked the people (young friendly guy and young cute girl) and the place, despite it being the size of a large closet. Then I went in last weekend and based on that experience I don't know that I would go back. Different crew working (guy and girl), don't recall either one saying hello to me, or anybody else for that matter.

On the first trip I bought a Pro Tank at full price, and a couple of anodized drip tips for a fair price, little over $30.00 bucks altogether for the three items. This past weekend I bought a MT3 and a couple of replacement coils at the price of $21 and change, got no receipt, no thank you, no hello and no goodbye. Feel kinda like I was used and abused without a reach-around. The guy never acknowledged me, or any other customer that walked in, and spent all of his time giving the hard-sell to a new, first time vaper, complete with BS spiel you hear from the kiosk people in malls. Just really an unpleasant experience altogether.

I don't mind paying a little more at a B&M, heck I've run my own business for more than twenty years, but d**n, not looking to get taken advantage of either. I had high hopes for this store after my first visit, don't really care if they make it now or not.

EDIT: Mobile Store

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread