100% VG vaping - T3 Clearomizers/ Twist battery & rebuilding coils

Status
Not open for further replies.

kny3twalker

Verified Member
Nov 25, 2012
Denton, Texas
I think I will start by describing my current equipment and e-liquid, then explain the troubles I have experienced and ask my questions

My equipment:
Joyetech eGo C Twist 650mah batteries
5 Kanger T3 clearomizers

e-liquid:
Mostly Johnson Creek Red Oak - 100% VG

My troubles:
The Kanger T3 clearmoizers begin gurgling once the clearomizer is half full which leads to weak and harsh vapor
The liquid also seems to become thicker and darker and adding more liquid seems to not be the same as a fresh clearomizer of e-liquid.

My questions:
Regarding the liquid in the clearomizer changing as a vape throughout the day, once the clearomizer needs refilling as it has began to gurgle, is the remaining half of the clearomizer of e-liquid trash now? It just seems like quite a bit to simply throw out.

In addition and more importantly, I have seen a few videos regarding rebuilding the coil heads for the Kanger T3 clearomizers, where the rebuild coil and wick better fill the opening of the coil head and therefore reducing leaks (hopefully addressing my concerns regarding gurgling once the clearomizer is half full.)
My question is what gauge of wire will work the best for 100% VG liquids such the Johnson Creek Red Oak line?
Also any thoughts on what size wick would be appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:

STVNMR

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2011
Celina, TX
I have a T3 in the mail, so I can't speak from experience, but I saw a video rebuilding tutorial where the guy used 2mm silica wick and 32ag kanthal. He said he would prefer a thinner wick, but the 2mm still worked out. I've been happy with 32ag kanthal for rebuildables, but the space inside the bottom coil housing seems pretty small, so you may want to use a thinner gauge to keep the same number of wraps without the coil touching the side and shorting out on you.

Also, to avoid leaking, you might try putting a little pressure on the center post to push it down a bit and/or tightening the bottom head down a little more if there's any give to either. The extra pressure should tighten the inner seal somewhat to keep juice from seeping in.

I'll post more after my T3 arrives and let you know how it works for me as well as whether any adjustments are needed for proper wicking. I use 70-100% VG, too, so hopefully I can offer some useful information when I have a chance to try it out myself.

Good luck with yours.

Rin13

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2011
Ohio
www.youtube.com
Spooled Nicochrome .20mm Wire

Is this the stuff you're supposed to use to rebuild the coil?

To answer the original question, (from what I've read and some personal experience w/ clearomizers) thicker liquid causes issues. If you don't like PG, I would suggest diluting your juice with water. (use a calculator to see how much, don't want to dilute it too much) Thicker liquids are harder to wick (esp for top coil clearomizers/etc)
Personally, I don't mind PG, I actually prefer it. (enhances the flavor and thins the liquid) But I have definitely noticed when I was using mostly VG for my liquids, I was experiencing a lot of burning on my wicks and it was harder to draw.

STVNMR

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2011
Celina, TX
I had some time to mess around with my first T3, and I think these are definitely the way to go for thicker juices because of the bottom coils. What's great about the T3 is that it's versatile enough to be made to work with any juice thickness with only a minor adjustment.

I tried a 50/50 mix that worked great with the T3 with the standard setup, but most of my juices are 30/70 (PG/VG). When those thicker juices wouldn't wick quickly enough to avoid getting a burnt flavor while chain vaping, I unscrewed the bottom head, popped off the center post, and removed one of the two "flavor wicks" that laid over the main wick wrapped in resistance coil. After reassembling and resuming chain vaping, this thing is perfect. No flooding, no burnt taste. It barely gurgled for the first couple drags but was just fine for the rest of the tank. Whenever I switch to another 50/50 juice, all I have to do is replace the second flavor wick and go again. Just be sure to save any flavor wicks you remove or have some spare wicking material on standby. It's only about a quarter inch in length, so it wouldn't hurt to cut a new wick each time you change it if you're worried about sterilization.

When using 100% VG, I'd remove both flavor wicks and see how that works out for you. I'll try it for myself with some Boba's Bounty next time the tank needs a refill, but I've read positive reviews from other users on this forum who have tried the same thing with thick juices - and there's nothing thicker than Boba's - so I'm pretty confident it'll vape just as well as 50/50 with both flavor wicks or 30/70 with just one.

The T3 gets terrible reviews by users not willing to tinker with the extra wicks in the coil head or others who haven't heard about this tip, but for the ease of this quick fix and the few seconds it takes to perform, this clearomizer knocks all others out of the park. My ViVi Nova just made me angry, and I was looking for a way to get away from cartos, so I think I've found an alternative that gets as close to perfect as I can ask.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread