Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
It's different for everyone. Took me a few weeks for the worst of it to pass and then a few months to get past the rest. What I did was to vape through the pangs. So basically if I wanted a smoke, I vaped as much as I needed instead.

How much nicotine is in your juice in mg? What hardware are you using?

Hang in there, it does get better!

Amish Ed

ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2010
Lake Forest, CA
amished.wordpress.com
Yeah, my first month or so was really bad for me too, but it rapidly got better afterwards. I used 24mg and chain vaped perpetually during that time. Plus, I some 36mg on hand for the really bad times. A year later I'm at 18mg and keep 36mg around still. It's good for the bad days and for fishing (I don't vape much while fishing, I need both hands).

It sounds like you were a pretty heavy analog enthusiast. I was only on two packs a week and it took 18mg eliquid to finally stop for good. You may also need more robust batteries to get a good wattage going to increase intensity, egos and the like are a bit piddly in my opinion.

Edit: There are some wonderful tobacco flavored liquids out there, even some designed to taste like particular brands.

7sixtwo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
the hinterlands
im vaping 18mg juice and using a v3 ego spinner. i think its a clone of some other PV not sure which one
nic is not the problem, its the taste. I miss the taste of cigs >.>

You miss the taste of burning? :?:

Imo, if you really want to quit the coffin nails for good, you will. If not, then not. It's up to you.

Objectively, vaping will satisfy your body's physical craving for nicotine. However, the psychological addiction to smoking, (which sounds quite strong in your case), must be overcome with willpower.

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
Congratulations on 10 days cigarette free! That's awesome. :toast:

I had the same problem until I went up to 24mg, and I smoked ultra lights, go figure. It still took time but was a hell of a lot easier to deal with. I failed the first time because I way underestimated the amount of nic I needed. After a while the 24mg was too strong and I began thinning it with the same flavor Omg nic juice. Keep up the great work!

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Stay determined. The cravings are different for every individual. Some were just able to quit without really intending to with vaping, it was easy for them. Others struggle, both vaping and smoking alternatively. No one way is the "right way", whatever you feel will work best for you.

I allowd myself a few cigarettes a day during my first week vaping. I tried not to smoke, but when I got a craving I vaped more. If that didn't work, I allowed myself half a cigarette, and saved the rest. I continued this method for the entire week.

It wasn't long for the cigarettes to start to taste really BAD, especially the remaining half of a stubby. I began to prefer vaping and not want the cigs. By the end of the week the last pack I had set aside for my "quit week" were done, and so was I. I haven't touched or wanted a cigarette in 1.5 years.

I may go against conventional wisdom when I say you won't be breaking any laws if you allow yourself half a cigarette. More than likely you'll be surprised at how awful it tastes and you'll probably put it out.

We have a saying here on ECF. "It's not the number of cigarettes you smoke that count, it's the ones you didn't."

Stay strong. Vape hard. Vape proud. You can and will do it. :vapor:

Caridwen

ECF Moderator
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2011
I never really intended to quit so I never really tried that hard not to smoke. I gradually smoked less and less until I stopped altogether. It helped that I didn't have my favorite brand, just some nasty RYO. If you do buy cigs, don't buy your favorite brand.

I had some high nicotine liquid for those times where I really did have a craving. I'd tell myself I'd wait 10 minutes and the craving usually went away.

Shadav

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2013
Westfield, IN, USA
thehelpline.info
if you were a heavy smoker i'm sorry to say that 18mg will not be strong enough...I started vaping at somewhere around 36mg lol
I would up your nic level to at least 24mg and go from there (later you can lower the nic level once your nic fits subside)....also when vaping instead of inhaling into lungs try going from mouth to exhaling out nostrils this seems to give more of a nic hit fix....the nostrils absorb nic better...but for that "smoking" feeling I do every other draw into lungs and out nostrils

and even though I wasn't a chain smoker, I chained vaped at first like crazy mad lmfao but after a few weeks it was easier and my health increased ;) I could smell again and wasn't waking coughing up my lungs :D (that is once all the leftover tar and build up from years of smoking got out of my system)

Last edited:

MoonLit_Water

We All Shine On
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2013
Stuart, Florida
I agree with Baditude on the half a cigg thing, it not only will help with the cravings it will also taste pretty bad. Also vaping is replacing the nicotine from ciggs and not the many, many other chemicals that come with ciggs. Your body needs to become use to not having them enter Your blood stream. And be sure to drink plenty of water to help flush Your system.

Caridwen

ECF Moderator
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2011
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/ecf-library/211345-new-users-nicotine-strength-questions.html

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ette-vs-e-cigarette-nicotine-equivalency.html

For example, a person who smoked less than half a pack a day may need 36mg liquid to avoid cravings (and show absolutely no signs of nicotine OD while using it); a person who was on 2 PAD may be happy with 18mg. There is no comparison possible because the end result required is satisfaction / lack of cravings in an individual - and individuals vary so much in their tolerance to / requirement for a given substance that there is no 'scale' that can be devised.

There are some useful things to keep in mind here, though:

Using an e-cig is different to smoking a tobacco cig. Newbies have such bad technique they may only get a fraction of the nicotine that an experienced vaper would get from basically the same set-up.
It is difficult to make your e-liquid stronger, but very easy to make it weaker.

Because of this it is a good idea to get some high-strength 36mg liquid with your first order. If, while using the 24mg commonly supplied with Starter Kits, after several days you still experience strong cravings, you can try the 36mg liquid. On the other hand, if your main liquid is too strong, you can add VG (available at any pharmacy) to it, to reduce the strength to whatever is required. Another way to do this is to use 'zero-nic doubler liquid' from your vendor - this is flavored base liquid with no nicotine that is specifically made for reducing the strength with.

If you have some 24mg strength liquid, and add an equal amount of VG or doubler liquid to it, you then have 12mg strength liquid, double the original quantity. Adding VG will reduce the strength of the flavor, however. Adding 'doubler liquid' decreases the nicotine strength but maintains the flavor level.

Last edited:

sdep

ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2013
Las Vegas, USA
Well go have emergency surgery like I did, 30 days ago , I'm Vaping like a baby sucks a bottle...but I will never smoke a real cigarette again because I have found something better tasting with more potent nicotine and my Cardiologist "Recommended that I switch" I would increase your Nic level and try a flavor that is not a clone to a real cigarette. I was a Menthol smoker and I vape Spearmint, similar but more refreshing and when I smell a real cigarette I hate the smell. Vaping tastes so good too. and make sure you don't buy e-juice for 7.00 per 10 ml go online to RTS Vapes and "ROLL YOUR OWN"

Good Luck , you CAN do it. !!

Steve -

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
For whatever reason it's not letting me quote text at the moment. What Baditude said in part, "I allowd myself a few cigarettes a day during my first week vaping. I tried not to smoke, but when I got a craving I vaped more. If that didn't work, I allowed myself half a cigarette, and saved the rest. I continued this method for the entire week." A week? Lucky dog. I smoked and vaped for 3-4 months before I quit smoking. The important part was I quit. Six months now. Found a couple of old packs of smokes a few months later and tried one. It was horrible. It was so awful I tried another one about an hour later and it was just as bad. Destroyed the rest. It really did put a damper on the cig craving thing though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread