18650 Batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

DictatorZero

Mar 26, 2012
Arizona, USA
So I've been vaping for about 4 months now with the eGo-C (which was so much better then the Lucy and Blu's). I was having issues with my battery charging and was planning on buying my mother an ecig (she doesn't have internet access or understand the stuff) so I bought her the eGo-T 18650 mod as well as one for myself while I was at it.

I purchased a battery charger and battery combo from amazon and had one of them die on me after only about 3 hours (after having been charged all day). So I decided to look into it and it seems the batteries that I purchased are fakes. So I looked around and there appears to be a lot of fakes floating around. My question is can anyone suggest a trustworthy source for 18650 batteries and chargers for a decent price?

Thanks in advance.

Pooladdict247

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2012
Thawville, IL
New! Panasonic CGR18650CH With Top Button, 2250mAh IMR High Drain 18650 Battery Cell-Made in Japan

I bought 2 from them and have cycled them every other day for months. Most will say get an aw imr but I trust panasonic more than I trust a guy named andy wang(aw batts).
Dont get me wrong, the aw's are good, I have 2 myself but the panasonics are more mah and a better battery if a failure does occur. A failing aw can get up to 200+ degrees and be useless afterwards, the panasonic will only reach about 150 and probably still be usable.

mooreted

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 10, 2011
California
First off, regular batteries can't take the power consumption of an ecig. You run the risk of blowing your face off.

Ok, so, you need AW IMR 18650 batteries. They have a great power profile and are safer chemistry so less likely to fail. Anything you charge can be dangerous so make sure you understand how to care for rechargeable batteries.

I use these with my e-Power:

Super T Manufacturing, Innovative manufacturer of electronic cigarette products.

Rader2146

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 11, 2012
Waco, TX
You don't need IMR batteries, and nearly every "regular" 18650 size lithium ion battery is very capable of safely delivering the required amperage of a direct drive (not variable voltage) device. IMR batteries do provide good performance, but for a fixed voltage mod there are options that will provide better time between charges and still safely produce a very satisfying vape. The Panasonic linked above is a very good battery with a 10 amp max discharge and will do very well in an eGo 18650 mod. I'm also very impressed by the Xtar 18700 2600mAh with a quality Sanyo cell inside. Look for them on eBay. I have 2 of them on the way for 14.99 shipped.

Rader2146

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 11, 2012
Waco, TX
Thanks guys, very helpful information...but now I'm completely confused about the different kinds of 18650 batteries...

The inevitable Battery University link:

Types of Lithium-ion Batteries

Lithium Cobalt = ICR, or what was referred to above as "regular" batteries.

Lithium Manganese = IMR

My assumption based on the performance caricteristics of the Panasonic CGR18650 is that it is Lithium Nickle Manganese Cobalt. But that is only an assumption because Panasonic has not published the chemistry, only that it is a "hybrid".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread