18650 batteries take forever...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sivo

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2013
Montreal
to charge in my trustfire 001... i just got a vamp with 2 18650 batteries, i put one battery to charge yesterday at 1pm, it was still charging at 10pm.. light still red, so i had to take it off to go to bed, and it was at 3.9 volts i think, did the "shotty salesman" sell me a bad quality charger? should i just order a simple single 18650 charger?

matrixxu

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 27, 2011
Timisoara, Romania
Keep that one as a backup charger and get an Xstar WP2 II. For 18650 use the 1amp (1000mA) charge setting and lower the charge time from 6-8h to 2.5-3 , while never overcharging them.
TF001 charges with 500mA , wich gets split between channels, so if you have 2x 18650 it will certainly take a long time to charge, it also overcharges them a bit if left unplugged.

snickers

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Los Angeles
It's probably not a huge help, but mine take a really really long time too. There's a setting on the charger that'll speed it up, but apparently it decreases the life span of the battery. I charge them overnight next to my bed while I sleep. Don't see it being a big issue but I might be missing something.

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
to charge in my trustfire 001... i just got a vamp with 2 18650 batteries, i put one battery to charge yesterday at 1pm, it was still charging at 10pm.. light still red, so i had to take it off to go to bed, and it was at 3.9 volts i think, did the "shotty salesman" sell me a bad quality charger? should i just order a simple single 18650 charger?

How many mah are they? As mentioned a slower trickle charge is far better/ healthier than a fast charge but somethings not right if it's taking 9+ hours to charge.

T0rtitude

ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2012
NYS
I googled it last night because I was getting concerned over the horrendous charge time of the one 18650, and from what I read, they can just take a long time for the first charge. This may be due to them sitting for a while before sale and discharging. Some are just more dead than others. Subsequent charges shouldn't take so long. I've yet to put what I read to any test though. I guess I'll find out tomorrow when I charge the battery that took 8 hours the first time and again with the other one that took 15 hours. Either way, they're still supposed to take a while to charge, just hopefully not quite so long.

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
2000 mah, iwr efest. i have never seen any kind of battery take that long to charge in my life.

There's something not right. If I remember correctly my 2200 mah batts took about 4- 5 hrs. Realize also when the batts need recharge they will not be completely drained so it's not as if you charging the full 2000 mah.

Here's a good tutorial on using a digital multi tester- if you don't have one I highly advise it- takes a lot of the guess work out. Cdn Tire occasionally has them on sale for $10- regular $30.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread