Not open for further replies.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
8800mAh? 3300 mAh for £99? I have no idea where you found those, but they are not suitable for vaping.

The most often recommended here batteries for high wattage vaping are Sony VTC4, Samsung 25r, or the LG HE2. I just got a pair of LG HE2 3000 mAh and they are just amazing--and last forever. This would be my recommendation. Are you in UK? I'm sure you can find them there. If not, Fastttech carries them also--and they are authentic. Buy from a reputable vendor--there are a lot of counterfeit batteries out there...

LG 18650HG2 3000mAh 20a

Last edited:

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Don't even think about it. Maximum mAh for vape capable batteries is in the 2500-3000 neighborhood. Those high mAh batteries are for flashlights and don't have anywhere near the ampacity required for vaping, Using them is praying for a vent. Samsung 25R, LG HE2 or HE4 or HG2, Sony VTC4 or VTC5, or any of the 20 amp AW parts is where you want to be.

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
I would recommend the Sony VTC4's if you plan on vaping +120 watts. It's a 20A cell that can be pushed to handle a 30A load.

You will also need a charger and a 2nd set of batteries if you plan on using the devise while the first set is charging.

The batteries need to be married. Keep in pairs, use in pairs, charge in pairs. Mark them 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B etc. so the pairs don't get mixed up.

Get the best charger that you can reasonably afford. Statistically most battery incidents occur while charging. Pila, Xtar, and Nitecore Intellicharger are the most recommended brands.

Here are some safety tips:
  • Don’t leave batteries charging unattended; if something goes wrong, you need to be there to deal with it.
  • The same goes for overnight charging.
  • Charge away from sources of heat or intense cold, and keep it away from flammable items and children!

Last edited:

Martnargh

ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2015
Miami
Sony vtc4s are 30amp cells that can be pulsed at 60 and beyond... theyre the cells used by most cloud chasers you see doing those ridiculously low builds... also the least casualty reports are due to these practices, despite what some would like you to believe...
Not sure where you get that sony vtc4s are 20a cells lol.
Fyi vtc3, vtc4, hb4 & hb6 cells are all true 30amp cells, i believe the only ones... just that the hb series are harder to come by. Vtcs are readily available at liionwholesale or lightningvapes.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Sony vtc4s are 30amp cells that can be pulsed at 60 and beyond... theyre the cells used by most cloud chasers you see doing those ridiculously low builds... also the least casualty reports are due to these practices, despite what some would like you to believe...
    Not sure where you get that sony vtc4s are 20a cells lol.
    Fyi vtc3, vtc4, hb4 & hb6 cells are all true 30amp cells, i believe the only ones... just that the hb series are harder to come by. Vtcs are readily available at liionwholesale or lightningvapes.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

VTC4's run at over 90°C at 30A continuous. This is much too hot to use 30A as the rating. Sony's own documentation showing a 30A discharge stops the discharge when it hits 75°C. So even Sony says it's not a 30A battery. At 20A the VTC4 runs at about the average temperature of other batteries rated at 20A.cthis indicates that its rating is 20A.

There is a document specifiying 30A as a continuous rating but other documentation limits that discharge to 75°C, preventing a complete discharge being done at 30A. You can't use 30A as a rating then. It's just a max continuous discharge capability.

However, as you noted, it can easily be vaped with at 30A and higher (with increasing risk in case of a mod malfunction) and can pulse at reasonable vaping durations at up to 60A with huge voltage drops and 40A or so with reasonable drops. It all depends what voltage you design your build for.

Shmo13

Dec 3, 2014
    hanover park il.
    All of my previous mods had built in batteries, I'm just starting to research batteries and chargers, Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G360T using Tapatalk

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    May 3, 2013
    Blue Rapids, KS, US
    All of my previous mods had built in batteries, I'm just starting to research batteries and chargers, Thanks!

Link in my signature has a break down of battery models by safe wattage/usage ranges, chargers to look for, and vendors to buy from (USA Online mostly, Asia worldwide only 1). When it comes to batteries there is no stupid question to ask if you do not know.
    @Susan~S also added a valid statement in "Marrying" your batteries in sets to be bought together, used together, charged together, never breaking the pairing/setting until death do they part to keep the batteries equal so one battery is not putting undue stress upon the other.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 2, 2012
    England and Wales
    Considering you can buy two excellent LG HE 18650 batteries for about £10, spending any more is unnecessary.
    A battery claiming to be 8,800mAh should be avoided completely.
    1. They are not 8,800 (I'm guessing Trustfire brand) and
    2. They're not safe for Vaping.

There is probably only 1 battery anyone could *seriously* consider charging up to about £15 for and you can get two of them for £17.60

Those are Sony VTC5 and the shop would be "Ecolux ebay shop".
    Ecolux will also sell LG, Samsung, and others.

items in store on eBay!

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    This might not be the right area for this question, maybe if there is another thread you can point me in the right direction.

My question is on married batteries, is it better to run them down completely then charge them or charge them completely upon arrival?

Thanks.

Since you don't know the charge level when you first get them you shouldn't use them as a married set. They can't be married until they are all at the same known charge level and it's easiest to get that by just charging them all fully before using.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread