The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Samsung 18650-30Q safe for vaping??

Discussion in 'E-Cigarette Accessories Discussion' started by Robbert, Jun 30, 2020.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Robbert

Robbert Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 1, 2016
    I have used 30Q for vaping and never had a problem but on batteries it’s stamped do not use for vaping or ecig device.
    I got VTC4 from same place and they aren’t stamped don’t use for vaping.
    I just double checked my devices with older Q30 and I never had any problems with them.
    Old 30Q are SDI 136 and new ones are SDI 141 .
    Is there any reason why they would stamp Q30’s not for vaping?
    Specs say 3000mah 15Amp and got them from 18650 battery store.
    I usually use li ion wholesale to get cells but they had no 18500.

• Like Like x 1
  2. MLEJ

MLEJ Senior Member

Apr 14, 2020
    To avoid legal liability problems.
    They're the same batteries as before and should work as before.

• Agree Agree x 6
  3. Robbert

Robbert Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 1, 2016
    I see.
    I’m almost 100% both the VTC4 and Q30’s are protected but better ask .
    Just out of curiosity are these protected cells?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  4. Topwater Elvis

Topwater Elvis Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Dec 26, 2012
    Texas
    No, protected cells are very close to worthless for vaping use.

As mentioned, the ' not for vaping stamp ' is to limit manufacturer liability. None of the cells we use were ever intended to be used by or sold to the general public / individual use.

Samsung 30q is a fine cell to use for up to 45w each.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  5. barkfunklerbunk

barkfunklerbunk Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Sep 13, 2014
    Planet Earth
    I love my sammy 30Qs in my squid double barrel. But I vape @ 12-13 watts which is well under it's potential/limits. I want to replace all my batteries, eventually, with these. I'm still rocking some authentic AW 18650s which are perfectly fine, but love the mahs of the 30Qs

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. DaveP

DaveP PV Master & Musician ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    Robbert, as some have said lithium cells aren't supported by their makers for vaping. They are mostly intended for use in sealed battery packs and various rechargeable toys and other electronic items where you plug in the device to charge it and the cell is an non-removable part of the device.

We can buy lithium cells in 18650 and larger/smaller sizes because they are a big market with people who use lithium flashlights and other devices that need high power cells. Vaping as we know it would never have succeeded if we had to use NiMH or NiCad cells. The power and capacity for heating a coil requires lithium cells.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  7. Katya

Katya ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    If you're a vaper, you must read @Mooch's blog (if you haven't already). It really is mandatory reading.

Mooch's blog | E-Cigarette Forum

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. UncleJunkle

UncleJunkle Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 29, 2010
    And this is exactly what Samsung was hoping to achieve...doubt about their cells for vaping use.

Explanation here...

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Mine have all come with various attorney-esque grotesque warnings from IMR batteries for some time.

Since I assume IMRbatteries.com is not singling me out and following me around I took it as your ordinary, genuine, "You do NOT have the power to sue us now, well YOU COULD find a lawyer to argue that the resulting explosion rendered you blind, hence you were unable to read the warnings as they did not include braille, but we are darn well gonna try to make it a lot HARDER for you."

This has since been found to be true (the warnings I mean, it's just liability stuff.)

Anna

• Like Like x 5
  10. Mooch

Mooch Electron Wrangler Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 13, 2015
    All Sony or Murata VTC batteries have a warning on the metal can that they are not to be used outside of a battery pack...which means they are not for vaping. :)

84527FDB-D767-487D-B6AB-BD33E3602AFC.jpeg 805A0A0C-4DD9-4D60-A0EC-231032865F54.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. DaveP

DaveP PV Master & Musician ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA

Some who carried lithium cells in a pocket with change or other metals managed to start a pocket fire. Don't get burned. Use a battery case for pocket carry.

pocket carry cases for lithium battery - Bing

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 2