Samsung 18650-30Q safe for vaping??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robbert

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Aug 1, 2016
    I have used 30Q for vaping and never had a problem but on batteries it’s stamped do not use for vaping or ecig device.
    I got VTC4 from same place and they aren’t stamped don’t use for vaping.
    I just double checked my devices with older Q30 and I never had any problems with them.
    Old 30Q are SDI 136 and new ones are SDI 141 .
    Is there any reason why they would stamp Q30’s not for vaping?
    Specs say 3000mah 15Amp and got them from 18650 battery store.
    I usually use li ion wholesale to get cells but they had no 18500.

Reactions: stols001

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 26, 2012
    Texas
    No, protected cells are very close to worthless for vaping use.

As mentioned, the ' not for vaping stamp ' is to limit manufacturer liability. None of the cells we use were ever intended to be used by or sold to the general public / individual use.

Samsung 30q is a fine cell to use for up to 45w each.

barkfunklerbunk

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 13, 2014
    Planet Earth
    I love my sammy 30Qs in my squid double barrel. But I vape @ 12-13 watts which is well under it's potential/limits. I want to replace all my batteries, eventually, with these. I'm still rocking some authentic AW 18650s which are perfectly fine, but love the mahs of the 30Qs

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    Robbert said,I have used 30Q for vaping and never had a problem but on batteries it’s stamped do not use for vaping or ecig device.
    I just double checked my devices with older Q30 and I never had any problems with them.

Robbert, as some have said lithium cells aren't supported by their makers for vaping. They are mostly intended for use in sealed battery packs and various rechargeable toys and other electronic items where you plug in the device to charge it and the cell is an non-removable part of the device.

We can buy lithium cells in 18650 and larger/smaller sizes because they are a big market with people who use lithium flashlights and other devices that need high power cells. Vaping as we know it would never have succeeded if we had to use NiMH or NiCad cells. The power and capacity for heating a coil requires lithium cells.

Last edited:

Katya

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    I have used 30Q for vaping and never had a problem but on batteries it’s stamped do not use for vaping or ecig device.

If you're a vaper, you must read @Mooch's blog (if you haven't already). It really is mandatory reading.

Mooch's blog | E-Cigarette Forum

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA

And this is exactly what Samsung was hoping to achieve...doubt about their cells for vaping use.

Explanation here...

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    Mine have all come with various attorney-esque grotesque warnings from IMR batteries for some time.

Since I assume IMRbatteries.com is not singling me out and following me around I took it as your ordinary, genuine, "You do NOT have the power to sue us now, well YOU COULD find a lawyer to argue that the resulting explosion rendered you blind, hence you were unable to read the warnings as they did not include braille, but we are darn well gonna try to make it a lot HARDER for you."

This has since been found to be true (the warnings I mean, it's just liability stuff.)

Anna

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015

All Sony or Murata VTC batteries have a warning on the metal can that they are not to be used outside of a battery pack...which means they are not for vaping. :)

84527FDB-D767-487D-B6AB-BD33E3602AFC.jpeg 805A0A0C-4DD9-4D60-A0EC-231032865F54.jpeg

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    All Sony or Murata VTC batteries have a warning on the metal can that they are not to be used outside of a battery pack...which means they are not for vaping. :)

Some who carried lithium cells in a pocket with change or other metals managed to start a pocket fire. Don't get burned. Use a battery case for pocket carry.

pocket carry cases for lithium battery - Bing

dff3fe68-a9e4-4d6d-91f7-8b73544a547d_1.e6ad8d956af8e773dcd62a46b4593692.jpeg

Last edited:

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    The 30Q is my favourite battery, the warning is a legal disclaimer.

Naw, I'm pretty sure Samsung batteries have a sensor in them. They completely refuse to work once the sensor detects it's been inserted into a vape mod.

True story :lol:

Last edited:

Katya

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    @UncleJunkle pretty funny but don't be giving anyone any ideas LOL.

Anna

Just to be clear, the sensor isn't in the battery so don't try to take the battery apart to remove the sensor. The sensor is in the battery wrap. Just rewrap the Sammys and they miraculously work in a vape mod. :lol:

How's that for CYA? :p

Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    I accidentally bought some Samsung protected batteries once. This was very early in my vaping career? So, I thought it was, perhaps, some sort of packaging thing?

Yeah, I don't know why either. Hope?

In any case I set to removing the super hard plastic wrap and things got weird enough quite quickly, enough for me to toss that battery from me and then start looking stuff up online.

Yes, I did feel really dumb that day.
    Anna

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    Protected batteries are "generally speaking" the wrong chemistry for vaping --- cobalt chemistry. They are not a "safer chemistry" like IMR or hybrid chemistry batteries used in the vaping community, hence the need for protective circuitry.

Unprotected batteries usually are a "safer chemistry" (often a nickle or manganese component), not as likely to flame or explode like protected batteries when a short circuit occurs. Generally speaking, protected batteries have higher mAh but a lower amp rating. Unprotected batteries often have higher amp ratings and lower mAh.

Deeper Understanding of Mod Batteries Part 1

Battery Basics for Mods: The Definative Battery Guide for Vaping

Last edited:

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Protected batteries are "generally speaking" the wrong chemistry for vaping --- cobalt chemistry. They are not a "safer chemistry" like IMR or hybrid chemistry batteries used in the vaping community, hence the need for protective circuitry.

Unprotected batteries usually are a "safer chemistry" (often a nickle or manganese component), not as likely to flame or explode like protected batteries when a short circuit occurs. Generally speaking, protected batteries have higher mAh but a lower amp rating. Unprotected batteries often have higher amp ratings and lower mAh.

Deeper Understanding of Mod Batteries Part 1

Battery Basics for Mods: The Definative Battery Guide for Vaping

This confused me when I first started using 18650 mods.

People would tell me that "protected" 18650 batts weren't safe and I'd be like

42-428855_confused-emoji-with-transparent-background.png

But no one ever explained it to me back then like you just did

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread