18650 battery drain

Status
Not open for further replies.

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
    If I'm using a battery in a regulated mod, I take it out and recharge it when I have only only 1 bar left on the battery meter. If I'm using a mech mod I take the battery out when I'm not getting a nice strong hit anymore. At that point I'll usually use the battery in one of my regs till it gets to the '1 bar mark'. I think I've only drained a battery down once or maybe twice to where it wouldn't even fire the mod anymore. However, no matter what a battery meter shows, if you find the battery to be too drained to give what you consider 'a good vape', take it out and charge it back up.

Straydonkey

Nov 24, 2020
    Palm Beach Florida
    If I'm using a battery in a regulated mod, I take it out and recharge it when I have only only 1 bar left on the battery meter. If I'm using a mech mod I take the battery out when I'm not getting a nice strong hit anymore. At that point I'll usually use the battery in one of my regs till it gets to the '1 bar mark'. I think I've only drained a battery down once or maybe twice to where it wouldn't even fire the mod anymore. However, no matter what a battery meter shows, if you find the battery to be too drained to give what you consider 'a good vape', take it out and charge it back up.
    Thank you for that, I'm using a laisimo L1 and a aegis solo, just didn't want to screw up 1 day old batteries. Didn't know if they had "memory"

Reactions: stols001

Superuser187

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 10, 2020
    Athens
    As far as I know...The regulated mods don't let the batteries drain toooo much to keep them healthy but still I swap my battery when it gets to 30percent...
    I have read that this thing about the memory it was something about NASA making some batteries for a project years ago and the type of batteries they used had that problem with memory effect and then that thing spread as a rumor that all batteries somehow have "memory" of their capacity...I don't remember details but I remember it was very reliable source for that information...
    From my experience tho I never seen that memory thing happen to any battery I have owned I mean even non "vape" batteries....
    Also it's a myth of the "charge your batteries 12hours the first time" that I used to believe also once...
    Useless info of the day lol

puffon

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    As far as I know...The regulated mods don't let the batteries drain toooo much to keep them healthy but still I swap my battery when it gets to 30percent...
    I have read that this thing about the memory it was something about NASA making some batteries for a project years ago and the type of batteries they used had that problem with memory effect and then that thing spread as a rumor that all batteries somehow have "memory" of their capacity...I don't remember details but I remember it was very reliable source for that information...
    From my experience tho I never seen that memory thing happen to any battery I have owned I mean even non "vape" batteries....
    Also it's a myth of the "charge your batteries 12hours the first time" that I used to believe also once...
    All Nicad batteries have a "memory effect". Nothing to do with NASA.
    Nickel-based Batteries Information – Battery University

Straydonkey

Nov 24, 2020
    Palm Beach Florida
    Thanks I appreciate that. I always thought rechargables had a "memory"

Superuser187

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 10, 2020
    Athens
    All Nicad batteries have a "memory effect". Nothing to do with NASA.
    Nickel-based Batteries Information – Battery University

I just googled to remember and wiki writes I don't know if it's true.... that this effect first was seen on aerospace batteries they used I guess that's why I have read about the NASA thing...they also say after tests they don't see that apply to small batteries but I don't know what small means tho lol :p

puffon

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    I just googled to remember and wiki writes I don't know if it's true.... that this effect first was seen on aerospace batteries they used I guess that's why I have read about the NASA thing...they also say after tests they don't see that apply to small batteries but I don't know what small means tho lol :p
    From the site I linked:
    "
    Nickel-cadmium (NiCd)
    Invented by Waldemar Jungner in 1899, the nickel-cadmium battery offered several advantages over lead acid, then the only other rechargeable battery; however, the materials for NiCd were expensive. Developments were slow, but in 1932, advancements were made to deposit the active materials inside a porous nickel-plated electrode. Further improvements occurred in 1947 by absorbing the gases generated during charge, which led to the modern sealed NiCd battery.

For many years, NiCd was the preferred battery choice for two-way radios, emergency medical equipment, professional video cameras and power tools. In the late 1980s, the ultra-high capacity NiCd rocked the world with capacities that were up to 60 percent higher than the standard NiCd. Packing more active material into the cell achieved this, but the gain was shadowed by higher internal resistance and reduced cycle count.

The standard NiCd remains one of the most rugged and forgiving batteries, and the airline industry stays true to this system, but it needs proper care to attain longevity. NiCd, and in part also NiMH, have memory effect that causes a loss of capacity if not given a periodic full discharge cycle. The battery appears to remember the previous energy delivered and once a routine has been established, it does not want to give more. (See BU-807: How to Restore Nickel-based Batteries) According to RWTH, Aachen, Germany (2018), the cost of NiCd is about $400 per kWh. Table 1 lists the advantages and limitations of the standard NiCd."

I've noticed the "memory effect" with powerpacks in power tools.
    Best to drain completely before charging, or just buy Li-on packs and not worry about it.

Superuser187

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 10, 2020
    Athens
    From the site I linked:
    "
    Nickel-cadmium (NiCd)
    Invented by Waldemar Jungner in 1899, the nickel-cadmium battery offered several advantages over lead acid, then the only other rechargeable battery; however, the materials for NiCd were expensive. Developments were slow, but in 1932, advancements were made to deposit the active materials inside a porous nickel-plated electrode. Further improvements occurred in 1947 by absorbing the gases generated during charge, which led to the modern sealed NiCd battery.

For many years, NiCd was the preferred battery choice for two-way radios, emergency medical equipment, professional video cameras and power tools. In the late 1980s, the ultra-high capacity NiCd rocked the world with capacities that were up to 60 percent higher than the standard NiCd. Packing more active material into the cell achieved this, but the gain was shadowed by higher internal resistance and reduced cycle count.

The standard NiCd remains one of the most rugged and forgiving batteries, and the airline industry stays true to this system, but it needs proper care to attain longevity. NiCd, and in part also NiMH, have memory effect that causes a loss of capacity if not given a periodic full discharge cycle. The battery appears to remember the previous energy delivered and once a routine has been established, it does not want to give more. (See BU-807: How to Restore Nickel-based Batteries) According to RWTH, Aachen, Germany (2018), the cost of NiCd is about $400 per kWh. Table 1 lists the advantages and limitations of the standard NiCd."

I've noticed the "memory effect" with powerpacks in power tools.
    Best to drain completely before charging, or just buy Li-on packs and not worry about it.

Yeah thanks I already read it I like to learn stuff :party:

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread