18mg nic is too much for sub-ohm kits

Status
Not open for further replies.

pineappledan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2011
Dartmouth
I always try to talk to vapers when I run into them on the streets. I spoke to 2 people who purchased their starter kits from 2 different vendors just this past week. They were both rocking the ever popular subvod. When I asked them how they were making out, they both said it was too harsh to use.
My next question was How much nicotine they were using.
They both said 18mg
I said that's way too high.
They said thats what the vendor recommended for someone trying to quit.
Vendors: Shame on you!
As us more experienced vapers know, 18 mg+sub-ohm=intense throat hit
I've seen very few people who can handle 18mg in a sub-ohm tank, and they are all experienced vapers.
It makes me wonder how many people are still smoking because they tried a setup like this.
The next time I'm in the area of either of these vendors, I will go in and speak to them about this issue, and I encourage others to relate this message to their local vendors

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
18 mg subohm? I don't think so. I used 24 mg in a mtl for a long time (well, several months). As I started to increase air flow and move on to more dl tanks I'm using 6 mg, or even 3 mg juice.

Sure, starting out as a heavy smoker, using 24 mg (or 18 mg) was great with a Nauti BVC coil. But I tried some 12 mg once in a new dual coil Crius Plus because I had nothing lower in the house, and after 2 puffs I was sick as a dog. Never made that mistake again. If all they thought was it's "too harsh", they got off lucky.

pineappledan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2011
Dartmouth
y
18 mg subohm? I don't think so. I used 24 mg in a mtl for a long time (well, several months). As I started to increase air flow and move on to more dl tanks I'm using 6 mg, or even 3 mg juice.

Sure, starting out as a heavy smoker, using 24 mg (or 18 mg) was great with a Nauti BVC coil. But I tried some 12 mg once in a new dual coil Crius Plus because I had nothing lower in the house, and after 2 puffs I was sick as a dog. Never made that mistake again. If all they thought was it's "too harsh", they got off lucky.
Yea, the vapor never even made it to their lungs, they instantly coughed. I tried one of theirs, got a lung hit in, coughed, and instantly felt nauseous.

Reactions: Eskie

daviedog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
Florida
I vape 16mg down from 24. 2.2 ohm down to .5.
So yes, there is some relationship between ohms & nico concentration.
VG/PG, Wattage, & airflow/ wicking also play in the equation.
So as a 6yr vapor i subohm at 16mg with no illeffects. Nada, zilch, nothing.
Guess what? Still not the POP of a red Marlboro. How did you all smoke?..

pineappledan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2011
Dartmouth
It's not a direct relation between ohms and nic. it's more like lower ohms=more vapor=more nicotine.
An extreme example of this is to look at a .2 coil full lung hit and compare it to the vapor out of a 2 ohm coil. A lot more liquid is being vaporized in the .2 coil.
Now, lets just say that you vaporize 10 times the liquid per draw out of a .2 than you do with a 2 ohm(I don't know the real numbers, but this is just a demonstration of concept).
The 2 ohm coil is running 18mg/ml
if the .2 coil vaporized 10 times the liquid per draw, it could deliver the same amount of nicotine with 1.8mg/ml
I have not met a single smoker who can handle my tf-rta at .22 with 2mg nic. There is also a very clear difference between smoking and vaping.

daviedog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
Florida
Numbers mean something. But they are trumped by your body & its assimilation of nicotine.
Vaping, being the red headed step child of nico delivery systems, has little data on the ED50.
Blood sugars are changing hourly. Full stomach or not.
250 lb Man or a 90lb pixy of a Lady?
How to unravel this? You got the craving, up the nico. You sick, by all means lower it. Biofeedback..

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
Lots of vape shops do the exact same thing in my area - set up new vapers with hardware and higher nic that's too much for new vapers! I can't count on both hands and feet how many people I've run into who've had the same bad experience. Most had totally quit trying vaping. I talked to them about the various set-ups that are available to them...other than what they got talked into & bought.

So far, I've managed to get 9 of them on other set-ups with good success afterwards. There are 8 still happily off smokes and vaping away. 1 decided she had too much going on in her personal life (stress-wise) to try quitting the smokes now and trying vaping again. But I think she will later.

Between people trying the convenience store cig-a-likes only and not liking them, and those like the above with advanced set-ups and high nic...there's lots of people getting the wrong impression of what vaping CAN be and how it can help people. It's truly sad!

Ksirps

Aug 16, 2016
6mg was too much for me even with my nautilus mini with a 1.8 coil.

I grabbed a eLeaf GS-Tank with a .15 nickel coil and a iSub G Tank [The updated one ] with a 0.5 coil and god I was glad I ran out of my Cyber Vader liquid. I was so sick after a couple drags and eventually used my pancake man 3mg to "dilute" it. I used to smoke half a pack of Newports a day also.

So if you are sub ohming and are only looking for clouds or have been vaping to quit the analogs I highly suggest 3mg or to be honest 0mg. I actually felt like I was actually satisfied with my smoking craving after a couple sub ohm drags with 0mg...maybe it's just me finally getting off the Newports for good.

Downgraded286

ECF Veteran
Feb 11, 2015
Ohio
I normally use 12mg in my vivi nova at 13w. I bought 18mg last time because the shop was out of 12. It's a little bit more intense than the 12 but I don't notice much of a difference.

I use 6mg Space Jam Eclipse in my Nautilus Mini, also at 13w. Throat hit barely exists here. At 20w it's present, but not much. This doesn't bother me though, because I smoke the Eclipse for the flavor, not the throat hit.

Angel1964

ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2016
Alberta Canada
I've never felt sick using any amount of nic. I vaped 24 for a long time and up to 18 even with sub ohm. I make my own now and still use 9 or 10 in all my tanks, even drippers. I tried 6 but didn't seem like enough for me. I will say when I first started, the morning vape at 24 mg made me choke but as the day went on my lungs got used to it lol.

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    Gosh, I guess different strokes for different folks.

I hope everyone can understand that in the world of regulated mods "ohms" is rather meaningless.

Power, airflow, temperature and juice ratio all play more important factors in how a setup vapes. How a user actually vapes a given setup is yet another important key to how it all works.

Like many I started with 18mg on Aspire K1's, moved to Nautilus and then onto Kanger Subtanks and RBA's. All with 18mg juice. Granted overtime my juice went from 25/75 to 50/50 to finally 0/100 (pg/vg).

While I kept getting tanks with higher and higher output potential I kept and used the same juice. Admittedly I can't take a DLH off a high output setup straight away in the morning - I have to work my way into it. Condition the throat. Usually after a handful of short draws a full lung hit is easy.

The difference in delivery and consumption is clear. I can ether take a few hits every once in a while of 18mg juice or chain vape a tank of 7mg dry in short order.

Most mods have adjustable power and most tanks have adjustable airflow. I guess shops don't educate their users any more that they can vape at lower wattage and air flow until they get used to it and make adjustments accordingly.

Reactions: Haktuspit

Haktuspit

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Feb 13, 2013
    Denver, CO
    I vaped 18 mg on sub ohm 0.5 @ 30-35W for like a year till everyone convinced me not to. Now it would taste harsh to me, but it never did before when I was used to it. I also use Max VG juice and always have, I suspect that plays a hand in why it wasn't overly harsh to me.

Different strokes for different folks. 6mg didn't cut it for me at that same setup, had to mix my 12mg bottles with the new 6 mg bottles for 9 mg. I honestly can't see recommending anything less than 12mg on sub ohm for any new vaper, at least to try. Too much nic you get dizzy and lower it, worst case. Too little and they're back on smokes.

SteveS45

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 27, 2016
    Long Island, New York
    When I got my first MOD which was an iStick TC40W and a Nautilus Mini I switched right to 6MG but still had some 18MG and 24MG sitting around. Although I did spike a tank on occasion I did not do it very often and on rare occasions I will up the nicotine in a tank when I know I will not have the opportunity to vape. Now at 3MG and sometimes Zero is fine.

dbrandt01

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 6, 2014
    Alabama
    But honestly, who are you to judge what works for them? 18mg might not work for you, it might be too harsh for you. It might not be too harsh for others. I don't mean to sound rude with this, and I apologize if it sounds like it. However, my dad is a over 1 year smoke free now. Sub ohm tank (0.5ohms), 25 watts, 18mg 60vg/40pg unflavored is the only thing that worked for him to quit smoking. Anything lower than 18mg didn't curb his desire for cigarettes.

That's the great thing about vaping. What worked for me or what worked for my dad might not work for you. But with vaping, the possibilities are endless with ohms, tanks, mods, variations of e-liquid. Could I handle 18mg in a sub ohm tank? No, I've tried haha. Saying it's too high all around is incorrect in my opinion though.

Smoke_too_much

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 8, 2016
    This noob is walking against the flow obviously. I started with max VG at 6mg, still smoking. I've come to the conclusion I and PG just dosen't mix and gave away everything with PG in it, still smoking. Finally found various flavors in max VG that I like still at 6mg, still smoking. Now I've ordered in some of those good flavors in 18mg (might arrive this week) and hope this weekend to give up the analogs. The 6mg just dosen't cut it as while vaping (from good sub-ohm tanks & RDTA's) I still feel the need for a cig even though I'm beginning to dislike the taste of them. I feel I need something that will make me feel a little nauseous and the beginnings of a headache to drive the craving for a smoke away but am prepared to dilute the juice with the same flavor and less nic as the cigs become a thing of the past.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread