1st Mod - 18650 Pipe Bomb

Status
Not open for further replies.

sizemore2000

ECF Veteran
Jun 13, 2010
Tahlequah, Oklahoma
The important thing is that it works! I used a 3/4 inch brass pipe, 2 end caps (which I thought were brass, turned out they weren't), a n/o switch, some wire scrapped out of an old computer, epoxy, a 510 battery connector, couple of springs off of my sons old toys, and a little plastic off an old skoal can.

1. The caps not being brass kinda messed me up, as I had to solder the negative spring to the brass pipe. I'll probably see if I can find some copper or brass caps to replace these with. This way the battery connector won't need a wire coming down to the pipe.....There is one plus though. I now have a rubber band holding the negative cable to the pipe, and when I'm done vaping, I can pull the negative wire out and I won't have an accidental activation.:unsure:

2. I put some plastic under the positive spring in the top cap, which I probably didn't need since the cap is not grounded, but if it was, I would think I need the plastic. I run the wire to the switch, and from the switch to the positive post on the battery connector

It's not pretty, but for my first one, I was just glad it worked.:toast:
It does hit great!!

vaperbomb.jpg

goodvapin.jpg

Connman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2009
North Florida, USA
2. I put some plastic under the positive spring in the top cap, which I probably didn't need since the cap is not grounded, but if it was, I would think I need the plastic. I run the wire to the switch, and from the switch to the positive post on the battery connector

Good job on a working mod but I have a few concerns on safety,

Why do you think it`s not grounded? The threaded cap going onto the pipe should make a great ground. Glad you have the plastic there or you would have a potential pipe bomb possibly rigged to blow.
And be sure you have vent holes in that larger then just for the wires to stick out. I do like your mod just wanted to make sure it was safe other then just relying on the Battery pcb. :)

sizemore2000

ECF Veteran
Jun 13, 2010
Tahlequah, Oklahoma
Thanks Conman. I wondered why it wasn't grounding too.

update: I've just found that the top cap is grounding.:facepalm:
I guess the glue holding the battery connector down is possibly causing it not to ground. I'll see if I can rework that a little. Thanks for the note on venting. I'll make sure it's vented, and I use a protected battery.

update: I got it working without a wire to the negative now! Hooray!

Maybe now I'll try a box mod!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread