The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

1st Mod - 18650 Pipe Bomb

Discussion in 'Battery Mods' started by sizemore2000, Jul 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. sizemore2000

sizemore2000 Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jun 13, 2010
    Tahlequah, Oklahoma
    The important thing is that it works! I used a 3/4 inch brass pipe, 2 end caps (which I thought were brass, turned out they weren't), a n/o switch, some wire scrapped out of an old computer, epoxy, a 510 battery connector, couple of springs off of my sons old toys, and a little plastic off an old skoal can.

1. The caps not being brass kinda messed me up, as I had to solder the negative spring to the brass pipe. I'll probably see if I can find some copper or brass caps to replace these with. This way the battery connector won't need a wire coming down to the pipe.....There is one plus though. I now have a rubber band holding the negative cable to the pipe, and when I'm done vaping, I can pull the negative wire out and I won't have an accidental activation.:unsure:

2. I put some plastic under the positive spring in the top cap, which I probably didn't need since the cap is not grounded, but if it was, I would think I need the plastic. I run the wire to the switch, and from the switch to the positive post on the battery connector

It's not pretty, but for my first one, I was just glad it worked.:toast:
    It does hit great!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. WillyB

WillyB Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Oct 21, 2009
    USA
  3. sizemore2000

Jun 13, 2010
    Tahlequah, Oklahoma
    I don't know WillyB. Thanks for the tip with the caps! I think lowes sells those in a pipe thread instead of water hose thread.

Next picture, I'll wear my shirt. :oops:

4. Connman

Connman Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 6, 2009
    North Florida, USA
    Good job on a working mod but I have a few concerns on safety,

Why do you think it`s not grounded? The threaded cap going onto the pipe should make a great ground. Glad you have the plastic there or you would have a potential pipe bomb possibly rigged to blow.
    And be sure you have vent holes in that larger then just for the wires to stick out. I do like your mod just wanted to make sure it was safe other then just relying on the Battery pcb. :)

5. sizemore2000

Jun 13, 2010
    Tahlequah, Oklahoma
    Thanks Conman. I wondered why it wasn't grounding too.

update: I've just found that the top cap is grounding.:facepalm:
    I guess the glue holding the battery connector down is possibly causing it not to ground. I'll see if I can rework that a little. Thanks for the note on venting. I'll make sure it's vented, and I use a protected battery.

update: I got it working without a wire to the negative now! Hooray!

Maybe now I'll try a box mod!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.