1st Time MOD Buyer.Need Advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using an evod on an ego twist battery for about a year (off and on). I've recently been vaping on an Aspire nautilus on an X6, which helped me kick the analogs for good, but now I'm looking for a mod that would take my clouds to the next level with my nautilus....and advice on clones is a good or bad thing with mods? I'm still kind of new, so all the advice is appreciated.

hurricanegirl100

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2012
The burbies of Cleveland
I was in the same boat as your, Sngow...wanted a mech mod, (just one! I swear!) but I didn't know which one would suit me best. Did a TON of research both here on ECF and on YouTube, before I went to da family and asked for a copper HCigar Nemesis. Volt drop is .01 - Copper mods don't lose much power when you put an atomizer on top of it (as opposed to silver or brass which have a much higher volt drop).

I love the look of copper, and it turns out that copper is one of the most conductive materials out there! Copper's easy to clean, too, if you don't care for the "patina" look (and I don't..) - just slather it in ketchup and wipe it off!

So, that's my :2c: But there are SO MANY mechs out there, it's really hard to suggest just one. The more critical thing when making a choice seems to be the battery you put inside of the mech. But that's a VERY long story, too lol...

Kick back, fire up the Nautilus and browse. Here, YouTube, everywhere. Some clone manufacturers put out a product that's an improvement on the original; some build junk. Once again, reviews, reviews, reviews!

IMHO, my shiny new copper mech will never replace my beloved Spinners and simpler batteries, (too much of a PITA when I'm out and about), but I am learning a lot about building coils, nicotine levels on an RBA (go lower!!) and battery safety. All good stuff to know so I'll be ready Christmas morning when I open that box!! :)

Last edited:

rurwin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2014
Leicester, UK
Personally, I don't trust clone mods. It you get a bad atty then it'll just not vape well. If you get a bad mod it could be dangerous. Not that I've heard of that happening.

The SVD was the one I went for. The SVD 1 is a telescopic, which is good if you're not sure what size battery you'll end up using. But it did have a problem with the fire button only lasting about three months. The SVD2 is now out... but it's not telescopic any more. Doh. You get the 18650 and 18350 tubes, but 18490 is a nice size. IIRC, telescopic was going to be an option, but it might cost more and it's not out yet.

Another one to consider is the MVP2. There's no batteries and chargers to worry about, so it might be cheaper and less bother, but it's a box mod, which might not be what you want. The MVP3 is about to be released.

Last edited:

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
I've been using an evod on an ego twist battery for about a year (off and on). I've recently been vaping on an Aspire Nautilus on an X6, which helped me kick the analogs for good, but now I'm looking for a mod that would take my clouds to the next level with my Nautilus....and advice on clones is a good or bad thing with mods? I'm still kind of new, so all the advice is appreciated.

A whole year! You have been what, half pack a day smoker?

Would be about time to get yourself a replaceble battery mod like a vamo9, svd2 or e-lvt2.

Of a cheaper alternative would be a mech mod and a kick, but you might not find a kick that gets over 15 watts.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
I've been looking at both a stingray x and a copper nemesis. Still haven't decided. Decisions, decisions. Lol. My Nautilus would fit both the stingray and the nemesis, right? Before vaping I was a pack a day smoker, but since I started vaping seriously, haven't had one.

fit? yes it's a 510 thread connector

nautilus:
Dimensions us | metric
Depth 22 mm
Height 84.6 mm
Width 22 mm
Liquid Volume 5.0 ml
Product Weight 50 g

stingray
Dimensions us | metric
Depth 22 mm
Height 102.1 mm
Width 22 mm
Diameter 22 mm
Product Weight 121 g

nemesis
Dimensions us | metric
Depth 22 mm
Height 109 mm
Width 22 mm
Product Weight 126 g

and they're all 22mm diameter, so aesthetically they will match too!

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
My friend that got me into vaping, told me I should go with a regulated MOD, like a vamo. I'm not sure if I'm ready to start building my own coils. Any recommendations for regulated pen style MOD.

1:
Your friend that got you into vaping told you you should get a regulated mod like a vamo.
Your friend is right. Get a vamo7-8or9, svd2, or e-lvt2

2:
You are not sure if you are ready to start building your own coils.
Well that's just fine. Building coils has nothing to do with a regulated mod really; a regulated mod is for safety and convenience.

3:
Regulated pen style;
Look for innokin vv3 or I think there is a vv4 out now.
Other alternatives are like ego v3 mega.

Last edited:

Confuzzled1969

ECF Veteran
Sep 6, 2014
Gotebo OK
I've been looking at both a stingray x and a copper nemesis. Still haven't decided. Decisions, decisions. Lol. My Nautilus would fit both the stingray and the nemesis, right? Before vaping I was a pack a day smoker, but since I started vaping seriously, haven't had one.

I have never had a stingray, but I do not recommend the Nemesis, I had one... The bottom fire button is hazardous on it. The spring is to weak and you have to use the lock ring to stand it on it rear. When I am working, I found myself constantly setting it down without thinking and one day I did it and walked away to get a tool out of the truck and did not catch it firing till it was to late.

That was the last time I used it, luckily it only killed the battery and atomizer and did not explode. Since then, I tried a couple Poldiac clones and they suck...

Yesterday I received an AMOD SMPL clone, and I absolutely love it. I want one of each color...

I have not used a ton of mechs, but I will only buy ones that have a recessed firing pin now...

iamthevoice

ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2014
Ottawa, Canada
I was in the same boat as your, Sngow...wanted a mech mod, (just one! I swear!) but I didn't know which one would suit me best. Did a TON of research both here on ECF and on YouTube, before I went to da family and asked for a copper HCigar Nemesis. Volt drop is .01 - Copper mods don't lose much power when you put an atomizer on top of it (as opposed to silver or brass which have a much higher volt drop).

I love the look of copper, and it turns out that copper is one of the most conductive materials out there! Copper's easy to clean, too, if you don't care for the "patina" look (and I don't..) - just slather it in ketchup and wipe it off!

So, that's my :2c: But there are SO MANY mechs out there, it's really hard to suggest just one. The more critical thing when making a choice seems to be the battery you put inside of the mech. But that's a VERY long story, too lol...

Kick back, fire up the Nautilus and browse. Here, YouTube, everywhere. Some clone manufacturers put out a product that's an improvement on the original; some build junk. Once again, reviews, reviews, reviews!

IMHO, my shiny new copper mech will never replace my beloved Spinners and simpler batteries, (too much of a PITA when I'm out and about), but I am learning a lot about building coils, nicotine levels on an RBA (go lower!!) and battery safety. All good stuff to know so I'll be ready Christmas morning when I open that box!! :)

It's the vinegar in ketchup that removes the oxide layer from copper; plain vinegar is a lot less messy! Lemon juice works well too, but not as cheap!

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA

If you're still thinking mech mod, go with the stingray. If you do go with the nemesis, get magnets for it, but I think you'll be much happier with the stingray.

But, as others have said, a higher-powered regulated mod would probably be a much better solution. MVP20 or istick for box mods, itasteVV if you like something small. These have built-in batteries, so you don't need separate batteries, charger, etc.

There are many other good possibilities, as I'm sure others will chime in.

ETA: I do own a bunch of mechs, these two are my favorites:
https://www.fasttech.com/p/1797303 King V5 26650 absolutely rocks!
https://www.fasttech.com/p/1427800 Sentinel - low end mech but very lightweight. Gotta be careful not to strip the threads in the aluminum head, though. (You can get spare top caps for it). There's also a stainless version, but I think that would cancel out the lightweight advantage.

Last edited:

Confuzzled1969

ECF Veteran
Sep 6, 2014
Gotebo OK
I think I may buy a regulated MOD. Vamo seems interesting. So many choices. Lol

The Eleaf i-stick is very interesting and I have heard they are coming out with a 30 watt version that has a removable 18650... I may pull the trigger myself on this thing if they do...

After thought, the reason I still have the mechanical mods, they are reliable... I don't trust the Chinese electronics to be my only option... If my mod fails, I want a back up, cause cigarettes are sold everywhere... APV's are not...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread