• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

1st Time Vaper To Be

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fitdiculous

ECF Veteran
Jul 22, 2010
Milton, Ontario
Just became a member today on the forums, and impressed with the info already! was hoping someone could shed some insight on how they first started vaping, and what are the DO's and DON'Ts I should be aware of?

I'm leaning towards the EGO model based on some suggestions but not sure where to start.. ie. do I look into buying in the US? do I get empty cartridges vs pre-flavoured ones? should I get e-liquid with nic in it? what brands should I stay away from etc?? please help out a fellow Canucker!

inkedcanadian

ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2010
Toronto
The eGo is a great device to start with.

Buy within Canada when at all possible. We have lots of good suppliers and you don't risk customs snagging your order.

I would say empty, then buy liquid to fill them with.

You will most certainly want juice with nicotine or else you'll still be craving it. Depending on how much of a smoker you are, that's where the MG amount comes in.

12-18mg is a good medium. 24mg tends to be the "strong" one but i've even seen 36-40mg

Personally I was a light smoker, i'm good with 18mg.

Eventually the idea is to slowly lower that amount. Eventually get 12mg, then 7mg.. etc. To where you don't really feel the need for it anymore.

Fitdiculous

ECF Veteran
Jul 22, 2010
Milton, Ontario
As for brands to stay away from.. not really in Canada that I know of (there's really only so many). Most address any issues right away and will sometimes send you freebies to make up for any problems too!

Read the Canadian Suppliers thread and you will see all of the ones we use.

ya I saw that... was wondering if there were any differences between say the Janty eGo vs Joye eGo or the one that HappyVaper sells? or is it purely branding the exact same product?

inkedcanadian

ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2010
Toronto
Price seems to be the same around. US being cheaper sometimes, but then you pay bigger shipping and customs/duty issues can be a pain in the ....

The ones we have in this forum are really good. I've used Evapers.com Vapables.com HappyVaper.com and NicFitNation.com .... all fantastic customer service and quick delivery.

Personally I didn't like the flavours some offered in the pre-filled carts, so i just ordered blanks. Then a couple bottles of flavours to try out in them.

Now I have close to 30 different flavours already lol

M76

ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2010
Canada
Empty cartridges and/or cartomizers are much cheaper. I agree with your leaning towards the e-Go. I started with the 510 and got fed up changing batteries every half hour.

I buy most of my stuff from Canadian suppliers: my hardware at happyvaper.com and juice at vapables.com.

Keep reading on the forum, I did so for at least a week before I ordered anything. Alternatively, if you're in the Greater Toronto Area, Happy Vaper hosts a meet on a monthly basis. It's a great chance to check out/try different devices and juices.

Fitdiculous

ECF Veteran
Jul 22, 2010
Milton, Ontario
Exactly, re-branding same product.

So with that in mind, I just ordered from whoever could get it to me fastest lol.

that's good to know... I'll double check as well how the vendors package these starter kits.. I think some may have more included than others.. pricing seems to be around the $80 mark....

Fitdiculous

ECF Veteran
Jul 22, 2010
Milton, Ontario
Empty cartridges and/or cartomizers are much cheaper. I agree with your leaning towards the e-Go. I started with the 510 and got fed up changing batteries every half hour.

I buy most of my stuff from Canadian suppliers: my hardware at happyvaper.com and juice at vapables.com.

Keep reading on the forum, I did so for at least a week before I ordered anything. Alternatively, if you're in the Greater Toronto Area, Happy Vaper hosts a meet on a monthly basis. It's a great chance to check out/try different devices and juices.

how come cartomizers are cheaper than pre-filled carts? aren't cartomizers a cartridge and atomizer in one "unit"?

the meet sounds interested, I'll definitely go to one whenever it's on next, thanks for the heads up!

Can_supplier

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2009
Canada
how come cartomizers are cheaper than pre-filled carts? aren't cartomizers a cartridge and atomizer in one "unit"?

the meet sounds interested, I'll definitely go to one whenever it's on next, thanks for the heads up!

You want to get prefilled cartridges right out of your mind. The best you are going to get out of a prefilled cart is at best equal to 1/2 a cigarette before it dries up and need refilling. So what do you do then, toss it and plug in another? With the less expensive 5 packs of empty carts being around 4 bucks, that would get expensive really quick. If you plan on refilling why buy the more expensive filled ones when you are going to have to re-fill anyhow?

Prefilled carts are a relic of the past where companies had the business model of selling prefilled carts to their customers like packs of cigarettes and making outrageous claims about how long one cart will last, we all know now is untrue.

Please note I am talking about carts here from 3 piece units NOT customizers. I don't have enough experience to comment on filled vs empty customizers

Fitdiculous

ECF Veteran
Jul 22, 2010
Milton, Ontario
I'm not really even thinking of the prefilled ones, just wasn't sure if cartomizers were CHEAPER than prefilled cartridges... I thought because it's a cartridge and atty in one "unit" it would be quite expensive... are all cartomizers prefilled with flavour? or they can come blank too?

You want to get prefilled cartridges right out of your mind. The best you are going to get out of a prefilled cart is at best equal to 1/2 a cigarette before it dries up and need refilling. So what do you do then, toss it and plug in another? With the less expensive 5 packs of empty carts being around 4 bucks, that would get expensive really quick. If you plan on refilling why buy the more expensive filled ones when you are going to have to re-fill anyhow?

Prefilled carts are a relic of the past where companies had the business model of selling prefilled carts to their customers like packs of cigarettes and making outrageous claims about how long one cart will last, we all know now is untrue.

Please note I am talking about carts here from 3 piece units NOT customizers. I don't have enough experience to comment on filled vs empty customizers

bornagainst

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2009
Toronto, Canada
www.villagermt.com
Every product has it's drawbacks.

Personally I use a cartomizer system when I am out and about, and a atomizer system when I am at home.

Cartomizers are great, since you can fill them with about 25-30 drops of your favorite liquid and be on your way. That'll last me quite a few hours.

Cartomizers can be purchased pre-filled or blank, depending on what you want. Never fully understood why the cost is almost identical, but that's just how it goes.

I did a cartomizer filling video somewhere on youtube to show how it works....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qe0weHoO6hE

Keep in mind that there are other ways to fill it. This video was done when cartomizers had hard plastic caps. The hard plastic caps made refilling difficult. Now, as many cartomizers have soft backs, things have changed.

:)

inkedcanadian

ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2010
Toronto
Never fully understood why the cost is almost identical, but that's just how it goes.

Isn't it because cartomizers don't last very long? Like a cart you can re-fill and re-pack endlessly as it's one plastic piece.

But a cartomizer can only be re-filled so many times and then you have to toss as their attys don't last as long as normal "detached" attys no?

That's what I thought at least.

bornagainst

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2009
Toronto, Canada
www.villagermt.com
I was referring to the empty cartomizers and prefilled cartomizers. Most of the time the prices are almost identical.

However you are right in that cartomizers are incredibly unpredictable. You can refill them twice or 20 times, and can never be too sure when they will give up. However for convenience sake, they cannot be beat (at least until a decent auto feeding system small in size can be created).

However, the same can be said for atomizers now....I am seeing more and more posts about atomizers being blown after one or two uses. I would never use a regular atomizer at 5v, but I have no problem using a cartomizer @ 5v...just have to refill more often.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread