21700 batteries will replace 18650 in electrical cigarette industry!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Vapers are not the center of the universe. Probably the majority of 18650's are used in devices not related to vaping. There are millions of devices of all kinds that use them including mods. As long as there is a demand for 18650's they will be available for sale.

The only mod I use is a Pico. A 3000mah battery gets me through a day.. There is no reason for me to be carrying a larger mod so I won't ever be needing the new larger battery. In the event that there are significant advances in Li battery chemistry (seems unlikely) there will be an effort to incorporate that in 18650's because there are already millions of devices that use that siize.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
I expect that we will still have access to 18650 batteries for at least a decade or two. No need to panic on supply just yet.
I concur, because power tools and laptops use 18650's and those applications are not going away anytime soon.

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
Tesla`s opinion means nothing to me.
Theirs isn't the only opinion that means nothing to me. If I have a battery that lasts through 1 bottle of juice in a mech squonker, goes on the charger between 3.7 and 3.8 volts, has been field tested to be safe for my builds (.3 ohm) and are readily available, then there's no such thing as a "better battery" for me. VTC 5a's are perfect. As an added bonus, they fit in all of my mods.
If that doesn't work for you, then perhaps there are "better" batteries. But no, it's not "black and white".

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
If everyone would be comfy with a short wait, I'm sure we'll see some graphene encoated aerogel the size of a peanut with 80A and 14 KWh. When you're not vaping you can power your home in a blackout.

Rumor has it there is one the size of a cashew that can reach 88 amps and 15.4KWh coming out. Even better!

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville
:?::yawn::confused::blink:
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::laugh: Best....what is best, and what does best mean...?
Best can only be determined by each persons particular circumstance and needs. For me, 18350 is the BEST battery for powering my personal choice of devices to vape with, YOUR best may be something diametrically opposite what is best for me...good for you, good for me :D :)

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:best:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::thumb::smokie:

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
All my mods use 18650s. I'm good enough with that so that I just bought enough Samsung 30Q to last me for the next five years anyway. At $5 a pop and for the way I vape, I'm not waiting for new battery technology or getting new mods to use them in :)

Having said that, it's nice to finally see some significant performance improvements in these batteries. It will be interesting to see what will be available when I need more :cool:

coolerat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2015
Verona,NY
I was shopping online for something or another sometime back and seen 20700 batteries on sale pretty reasonable. Quick showed them to be a solid battery so I grabbed some.

This seemed odd as I didn't have anything to put them . On the list of odd things I've done this rates very low.

So me being me after I confirmed they work in all my chargers I ordered a 20700 mod.

But low and behold the mod came with a 21700 battery.

I don't buy many mods, the only regulated mod in heavy rotation is atwo YO RX200 and 18650's work well for me there.

But my thing is mech squonkers. And soon the 20700 mechs started rolling in.

I'm hooked. Sorry 18650's. You served me well bt I won't be buying anymore of them.

Now 18650's aren't going anywhere in general and still have a place in my house. My heaviest use mod is a dual 18650 mech squonker and its a keeper.

But all future single battery mods will be 2x700.

the wind

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 12, 2012
alabama
All my mods use 18650s. I'm good enough with that so that I just bought enough Samsung 30Q to last me for the next five years anyway. At $5 a pop and for the way I vape, I'm not waiting for new battery technology or getting new mods to use them in :)

Having said that, it's nice to finally see some significant performance improvements in these batteries. It will be interesting to see what will be available when I need more :cool:
I have no knowledge one way or the other. I'm very curious if age will have any effect like charging cycles will have on the battery's?

rob33

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2009
A World Traveler
I don't see the 18650 being replaced anytime soon. Personally the 20700 fits my vaping style with mechanical mods alot better than the 18650. A stable 30amp platform with 3000mah it's a perfect fit, cause I'm able to have a battery last all day. With an regulated mod it could go either way for me. Either I haven't found the right evolv settings for the 20700 or there is no great advantage in a regulated device to me. I also don't want to have to maintain two different sizes of batteries, so I have began weeding out my 18650 only devices. What I do expect to see more of is devices that will power with either battery.

Steamer861

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2014
Canada
"Best" is hard to determine, whats best for me isn't best for you. Thats an opinion!
Better is a lot easier defined! If your running this coil, 30 amps & 3000mAH is Better :)
Pretty straight Forward :)

NB9MBEP.jpg

VHRB2014

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 16, 2014
Nic`d Up in Oklahoma!
Theirs isn't the only opinion that means nothing to me. If I have a battery that lasts through 1 bottle of juice in a mech squonker, goes on the charger between 3.7 and 3.8 volts, has been field tested to be safe for my builds (.3 ohm) and are readily available, then there's no such thing as a "better battery" for me. VTC 5a's are perfect. As an added bonus, they fit in all of my mods.
If that doesn't work for you, then perhaps there are "better" batteries. But no, it's not "black and white".

Abolutely. The experienced vaper is going to choose the battery that works best for him, be it size, amps, MAH. There are lots to chose from, just like the vape itself.
PS: Last I heard, batteries were supposed to get smaller, LOL. Not bigger, SMH.
PPS: Somewhere out there, there is a guy (or gal) using an Altoids tin box with three double A`s in it and they`s as happy as a duck in water.

Last edited:

ppeeble

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2013
Poole UK
Having had a little look at the information available on the 20 & 21 dia batteries it would appear that - in vaping terms - the excitement is based around their use in mechs. Less voltage sag and higher amps is great news for anyone not utilising a buck/boost circuit.
For regulated devices i'm just not seeing much of an advantage in increasing the size of the cell to achieve longer run times - we've always had that option (i own two 26650 mods which i rarely use).
The chemistry of the new cells appears to be the same as standard 18650, just more of it.
I want to run my Mr Peanut mod (copywrite Asbestos4004) on a water based cell the size of a grain of rice - wake me up when they become available....:sleep:

HauntedMyst

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2013
Chicago
I tried making a battery out of Kyber Crystals. I figured if they were good enough for lightsabers they should be able to power a mod for years. They worked great. Too well in fact. All of my alpha testers ended up with plasma holes burned thru their heads. They were good people too, I miss them. I tried getting some black market plutonium a few times but every time I did, Homeland Security would show up, tear apart my house and give me a free but ungentle colonoscopy. When I get out of Gitmo, I'm going back to 18650's. Edison never had this problem with light bulbs.

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
We can put all this controversy behind us once we find a massive source of die-lithium crystals. After all they used them to power the Starship Enterprise so they should be the perfect power source for all our vaping needs. :lol::lol::lol:

I will just stick with my 18XXX batteries until then :D

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
We can put all this controversy behind us once we find a massive source of die-lithium crystals. After all they used them to power the Starship Enterprise so they should be the perfect power source for all our vaping needs. :lol::lol::lol:

I will just stick with my 18XXX batteries until then :D

Yeah, then every vaper will be screaming "Scotty, we need more power".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread