Status
Not open for further replies.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I love 28ga ss316l, but I'm always looking to try new things - how much harder is it to work with 30ga or 32ga?

30ga Isn't that bad. It's Thin. But it Isn't that bad in SS. 32ga is where I Draw the line. It's just Too Thin for Me.

But wire is Cheap. So I would Try them Both.

Jebbn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2018
safe distance from a black hole
30 or 32 twisted or just 2 strands wrapped together is useful for me.
32ga can be time consuming and frustrating and some rta's posts and screws won't hook it. It's worthwhile for me in trying to get a cooler vape but might not be worth it for everyone.
30ga Isn't that bad. It's Thin. But it Isn't that bad in SS. 32ga is where I Draw the line. It's just Too Thin for Me.

True @zoiDman, if it doesn't work out so well with a single strand. You can always try 2 twisted together.

Reactions: Mordacai

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    30 or 32 twisted or just 2 strands wrapped together is useful for me.
    32ga can be time consuming and frustrating and some rta's posts and screws won't hook it. It's worthwhile for me in trying to get a cooler vape but might not be worth it for everyone.

Yeah, I've got attys which struggle to trap even 28ga, hate to try 32 in them ;) Using 30 or 32ga as a twisted coil however makes more sense for me too :thumb:

zoiDman

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Yeah, I've got attys which struggle to trap even 28ga, hate to try 32 in them ;) Using 30 or 32ga as a twisted coil however makes more sense for me too :thumb:

On Atomizers that have a hard time Trapping small wire, sometimes it Helps to Bend the Leg Back so it is Doubled where the screw tries to trap it.

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 3, 2014
    NS, Canada
    I always filed a notch in the old Kayfun decks for better wire trapping.
    rLRqo7hl.jpg

m1ke

ECF Veteran
    Feb 18, 2013
    North East USA
    I love 28ga ss316l, but I'm always looking to try new things - how much harder is it to work with 30ga or 32ga?
    It's hard to see sometimes, heh, and clipping it is strange. Maybe I need sharper clippers. Other than that, it's alright to work with.

I have some 28AWG (0.315mm) SS316L @AngeNZ, which is an unusual size. 7 spaced wraps gives some interesting results and reads around 0.7 ohms plus, but it does give a warmer more dense vapour.

And as far as I'm aware with 30-32AWG wire, it's better used for making contact coils. Due to how thin and flexible it can be.
    Yea, I can agree with this. I just don't have the tools to make a proper contact coil.

I ended up twisting 2 strands together. 5 2.5mm spaced wraps made a 0.7Ω coil and flavor and vapor are basically doubled. The heat isn't though, so it's really nice.

True @zoiDman, if it doesn't work out so well with a single strand. You can always try 2 twisted together.
    That's what I ended up doin' and it's awesome. I recommend it to anyone who has 32ga SS and wants to try something.

Last edited:

m1ke

ECF Veteran
    Feb 18, 2013
    North East USA
    Glad to hear that you're getting there @m1ke, and at least you're not wasting your wire.
    Heh, I wasted some, but I found what I like, so yea, it's all good.

I just don't understand how anyone uses 26ga SS in a tank like a Berserker because the coil is very slow to get to the temp it needs to get to. With the twisted 32ga it gets to the optimal temp like 4 times faster.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 28, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    Heh, I wasted some, but I found what I like, so yea, it's all good.

I just don't understand how anyone uses 26ga SS in a tank like a Berserker because the coil is very slow to get to the temp it needs to get to. With the twisted 32ga it gets to the optimal temp like 4 times faster.

Ramp up time is determined by mass of the coil and Specific Heat Capacity. Given you are using the same metal, Specific Heat Capacity remains the same, but mass could be vastly different between the 2 coils under evaluation. If keeping the amount of wraps per coil the same, 26awg will always be higher in mass than 2x 32awg, therefore will always take longer to reach your preferred temperature if using the same given wattage.

m1ke

ECF Veteran
    Feb 18, 2013
    North East USA
    It's I think to do with heat capacity and surface area in contact with the wicking @m1ke. But as I'm learning each and every atomiser has a limit due to the airflow that can cool the coil or coils.
    Yea, it definitely has to do with heat capacity. It's all about airflow when it comes to the heat capacity limit. I mean, this is my first rebuildable MTL tank, so I had 26ga for the little Smok Spirals tank I have, but that has a ton more airflow compared to the Beserker tank, and the Spirals tank is known as a restricted DL tank, so..

I love the Berserker mini though. For the price, it's amazing.

Ramp up time is determined by mass of the coil and Specific Heat Capacity. Given you are using the same metal, Specific Heat Capacity remains the same, but mass could be vastly different between the 2 coils under evaluation. If keeping the amount of wraps per coil the same, 26awg will always be higher in mass than 2x 32awg, therefore will always take longer to reach your preferred temperature if using the same given wattage.
    Yea, I didn't think 26ga SS was massive until I put it in this Berserker. I build simple coils to fit the deck as intended. I wasn't even able to get a spaced 26ga coil over 0.4Ω and a 0.4Ω 26ga SS coil has a heat capacity of 35 mJ/K and if I built a contact coil with 8 wraps, the capacity jumps to 44. The twisted 32ga is at 15 mJ/K.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    It's hard to see sometimes, heh, and clipping it is strange. Maybe I need sharper clippers. Other than that, it's alright to work with.

Yea, I can agree with this. I just don't have the tools to make a proper contact coil.

Get yourself one of these type Coil Winders.

2112006-2.jpg

Makes doing a Contact Coil a Snap.

• Agree
    Reactions: m1ke

Zakillah

ECF Veteran
    Jan 24, 2015
    Vienna
    30 and 32G parallel coils were my exclusive go-to for a very long time.

Advantages of thin wire compared to thick:
    -Reduced mass at equal surface area which results in...
    -Faster heating/cool down
    -Cooler vape, as its more efficient. Heats more liquid instead of air, less power loss at the legs, more vapor production at the same power.
    -Broader power range. The coils start producing vapor at lower power and still can be cranked up if they are big enough.

I build DTL atties with this also. 80 Watts on a dual 32G build; no problem. You just need an atty with a big build deck, at least 3,5mm diamater (better 4mm) and LOTS of wraps. :)

For a more mtl style, I think thinner wire is pretty much a no brainer. Of course it´ll work better.

Coolsiggy

ECF Veteran
    Dec 26, 2018
    Perth, Western Australia
    Reading these posts and thinking, small wire and surface area using hard to wrap 30GA. I have problems wrapping 28G so I have been using mesh a fair bit which seems to give the flavor, fast ramp up and not so hot a vape as a small gauge coil. Problem is I like more flavor and less clouds, MTL style. I just wish somehow I could use mesh with a MTL atty. I am trying SS 150 mesh cut 4 x 16 mm on my Profile but how to get the reduced chamber of a MTL atty?

Jebbn

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2018
    safe distance from a black hole
    Reading these posts and thinking, small wire and surface area using hard to wrap 30GA. I have problems wrapping 28G so I have been using mesh a fair bit which seems to give the flavor, fast ramp up and not so hot a vape as a small gauge coil. Problem is I like more flavor and less clouds, MTL style. I just wish somehow I could use mesh with a MTL atty. I am trying SS 150 mesh cut 4 x 16 mm on my Profile but how to get the reduced chamber of a MTL atty?
    30 and 32ga wire isn't impossible to wrap and install and like most things the more you do it the easier it becomes to do.
    For mtl and because I dislike slow ramp up and heat 30 and 32ga wire is my preferred and most often used. Dtl I generally use 28ga.

• Useful
    Reactions: AngeNZ
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread