EU 26 Feb 14: EU Commission defends ecig ban with obvious untruths

Status
Not open for further replies.

FourWinds

ECF Veteran
Jan 30, 2014
UK
One thing, though... "The Directive only covers e-cigarettes which contains nicotine."

So if you buy an empty atty, it contains no nicotine! ;)

I wouldn't count on it. Here is an extract of a mail I received from Catherine Bearder MEP:

"...Our amendment noted that electronic cigarettes have a major role to play in
reducing tobacco-related deaths although they should meet product safety
standards with restrictions on advertising and marketing. However,
pharmaceutical licensing would increase their cost and reduce their
availability, so I am extremely pleased that we won support for this
amendment.

Following that vote, a compromise has been worked out between the European
Parliament and national governments in the EU Council of Ministers. That
compromise deal would permit the sale of refillable cartridges no larger
than 2 millilitres and allow member states to ban specific types of
cartridges if they could justify that action."

So it seems to me that you can expect a ban on all tanks with a greater capacity than 2ml. i.e. lots of the most effective ones. To be fair to Catherine Bearder, I don't believe that she knew that this 2ml deal was much of an issue; she probably thought that people would simply have to fill up more often. I did tell her about all the larger tanks that people want, but this was only six days ago; I think it had all been pre-vote agreed by then.

Anjaffm

Dragon Lady
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2013
Germany
Quite depressing, we are adults. We should be able to decide for ourselfs what we want to do.
Not having a "nanny" to protect us.

Yes.
And especially as this has nothing whatsoever to do with "protecting consumers".
It was a move to protect Big Industry and their profits. Nothing more and nothing less.

Just like the EU Commission's attempted ban on re-fillable olive oil jugs in restaurants in May 2013:
EU drops olive oil jug ban after public outcry - Telegraph

Here is a nice piece on how that proposed olive oil jugs ban came about (long but well worth reading, the parallels to the ecig ban are more than obvious):

The great olive oil farce - Telegraph

But Open Europe, a think tank that campaigns for a reformed EU, says the whole episode is evidence of the problems.

“That these plans advanced as far as they did reflects both the EU’s obsession with micromanagement, as well as the opaque nature in which many EU regulations are drawn up,” said Pawel Swidlicki, research analyst at Open Europe.

“This whole sorry episode risks further entrenching the perception that the EU is too exposed to lobbying interests and out of touch with public opinion.”

Here is Big Olive Oil Industry's reaction to the dropping of the proposed ban:

Meanwhile, Copa-Cogeca is furious. “It’s terrible as the measure was meant to protect consumers against fraud by banning refillable bottles so that restaurants cannot refill them with different types of olive oil and other oils,” said a spokesman.

Oh, the horrible dangers! Pure olive oil from uncle Beppo's orchard instead of processed stuff from a factory. Oil that does not come from Big Industry! Yes yes.... protect consumers at all cost against any product that does not come out of your own factories.

Does this sound familiar?

- I hope that I will be able to read a piece on the great e-cigarette farce sometime in the future.

Last edited:

SleeZy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2014
Sweden
That's even dumber or just as dumb as this.

Hopefully people will complain enough about this aswell. But that's doubtful.
The power tobacco companies got is quite scary. It's all about money, not "consumer care".
If it were for "consumer care" They'd ban all cigarettes all together. Which they will not, due money.

They want us to go back to cigarettes so they can start earn money on us again. Atleast it feels that way.
Just read this page, then watch the comments. It's mindblowing...

Updated info post: TPD – provisions relating to e-cigarettes « The counterfactual

Ignorance is bliss

Anjaffm

Dragon Lady
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2013
Germany
They want us to go back to cigarettes so they can start earn money on us again. Atleast it feels that way.
Just read this page, then watch the comments. It's mindblowing...

Updated info post: TPD – provisions relating to e-cigarettes « The counterfactual

Ignorance is bliss

Of course they do.
Big Tobacco, Big Pharma and Big Government - they all gain Big Money from this ban.
The only one who loses out is the consumer. The person, the citizen, the human being.
Human beings are expendable. Road kill on the way to maximizing profits.
And yes, I am including the government in this. When was the last time any government paid more than lip service to the interests of its citizens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread