3.7V Battery Questions - CONFUSED!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtieri

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2011
Chicago
Okay....kinda confused. Just ordered a MOD. Mod says to use a 18650 protected battery at 2400mAh. So I ordered an UltraFire 3.7V 18650 2400mAh.

After I ordered it, I noticed that other people do not like the UltraFire's (wish I knew why) and they recommend the AW IMR batteries. When I checked, these batteries are unprotected.

Then I was told that the mAh just means how long the battery will last. If that is the case, wouldn't it be better to just go with the highest mAh in that particular battery?

I have found an AW Protected 18650 3.7V 3100mAh battery at lighthound.com and was considering purchasing it but I want to make sure it will be okay.

Please shed some light on this....the last thing I want is to have Hot Lava melting my face!!!! LOL

Thanks guys and gals and Happy vaping!!!

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Protected batteries have a circuit in the bottom cap that shuts down current flow if it gets dangerously high. The unprotected batteries are made with a safer design, but still all Li-Ion batteries can go into thermal meltdown. Make sure your mod has a vent hole. If it starts spewing, throw it behind something and get away!

This doesn't happen very often at all, but it's possible that metal flake by (products of manufacturing) in the liquid lithium can cause shorts. The same problem caused the laptop fires of the 90s. This was traced to unsafe manufacturing methods. A tiny fraction of laptops had meltdowns out of the tens of thousands of 18650 batteries in laptop cells.

I have ultra-fires and I'm not worried. They are protected ... providing the protection circuit operates properly.

Last edited:

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
The main motivation for using AW IMR batteries... is that they are "high drain".

Simple definition of high drain: More amps can be output by the battery.

The operative question is... what atty/carto are you using on them? An 18650 is probably going to put out enough amps for most stuff. However, if you want to use 1.5 ohm stuff (atty, carto, DC's) at 3.7 volts... that's 2.47 amps.

Interesting thread: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...170670-18650-batteries-amp-output-rating.html

Note banjo's reply in post # 5 and also Hoosier in post #2 for example.

Also, like 36tinybells said... since you didn't specify the mod... it may or may not already have some protection built in. Still best to use protected batteries, unless you need the extra amps.

Standard Disclaimer: I'm not a battery expert. Information provided with intent to help, but do your own research.

Last edited:

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
I ordered the Saber Touch 3.7v/6v. So am I right about the mAh? Meaning the higher the mAh the longer it will last? Should I just get the highest mAh I can find?

As a generalization, you are correct. Protected batteries are best.... see above about IMR tho.

Now, as to specific mAh ratings... let's just say I've chatted with some people that won't buy certain brands of batteries because they believe that the manufacturer outright LIES about the mAh rating (overstating it). So... it's a ball-park figure at best. Anyone reading this... don't PM me about it... I don't want to name brands. There's some variability as to the quality/chemistry of the electrolyte and how many mAh it gets per cc. And you can factor in resistance (and the "C rating") into the whole equation too.

I'd just use a fairly well known name brand without relying on the precise mAh. I'd avoid no-name stuff, but that's me. Even then... I take mAh ratings with a grain of salt.

Standard Disclaimer: I'm not a battery expert. Information provided with intent to help, but do your own research.

Last edited:

jtieri

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2011
Chicago
Good info here already, but just wanted to add that not all 18650 batteries are actually the same length. There may be a mm or two difference in length between the 2400 mAh and 3100 mAh batts. Not always a big deal, but in some mods it might be.

I know! VaporMoon indicates that not all batteries will fit in the Saber Touch. That's why I want to be sure if any other battery OTHER than the Ultra-Fire will fit!! The MOD site states the ultra-fire at 2400mAh but I wanted to see about the AW. Either IMR or the Protected. I would hate to spend $15-$20 on a battery to find out its too long.

Cardslinger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2011
Sanford, Fl
I just want to point out that the mah rating, by rule of thumb, 100mah = 1 hour vape time, so the mah becomes less of an issue with higher rated (18650) batterys. So a 2400mah rated battery will last an average vaper 1 full day. If you purchase 2 batterys you could keep a good rotation going with changing batterys every AM/PM
You could also contact SirLawrence and he will supply you with the best information on your battery options.
good luck

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
What does the manufacturer recommend when using 1.5 ohm stuff?

The Saber Touch has a vv option and non-vv, but both have circuitry in em. So see what they say. I think the web site says something about batteries. As a general rule the AW IMR batts put out more amps. However, there was a recent incident with Li-FePo4 batteries (not the same as IMR).

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Coil resistance and voltage are better viewed in terms of vaping wattage, which translates to heat. At the same time, amperage is a concern, since some mods shut down or reduce the voltage at lower resistance to protect the circuitry inside. Most people agree that 8 watts is the sweet spot for most juices. This power chart allows you to find your voltage and resistance to produce a given wattage. Click the chart to get a larger view.

Vaping Power Chart

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
So let's say I want to vape a 510 DC tank at 1.5 ohms. What battery do you suggest?

My confusion continues because I want to vape the tank I mentioned above and I also want to be able to just vape a 510 cartomizer. With my 3.7v MOD and the Ultra-Fire 18650 batteries, what 510 cartos can I vape?

Look at the chart in my previous post. If you are like most, 3.5v - 3.7v would be the sweet spot for a 1.5 ohm atty at around 8-9 watts. At 3.7v with 1.5 resistance, you would be pushing 2.5 amps where most vv mods would limit voltage or cut off. Some shut down at 2.0 amps.

I'm very happy with a dual coil carto at 3.4v.

You can calculate this here:

http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-ohm.htm

FormulaWheelElectronics.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread