3000mAh 'mega' 18650s, the GGT, GGTS and you..

Status
Not open for further replies.

wegster

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • May 10, 2009
    NC
    I picked up some Ultrafire protected 3000mAh 18650s, as I fairly often vape the GG at 3.7v.
    I bought them here, although there are other places, for reference:
    Ultrafire 18650 3000mah BUTTON TOP Protected Rechargeable Lithium Battery Li-Ion UF18650-BRC

For comparison, I have been using protected Ultrafire LC 18650s (2400mAh):
    Ultrafire 18650 2400mah BUTTON TOP Protected Rechargeable Lithium Battery Li-Ion UF18650

On the GGT, the 3000maH batteries are a *tight* fit. I'm unsure how tight the tolerance is from one GGT built to the next, but it's very tight, to the point that I may hone the inside of the GGT to use them - I'm unsure I would use them regularly without honing out the inner bore slightly.

I'm not sure if the GGTS with the telescope middle piece has the same inside diameter as the GGT or not? Imeo, is the GGTS narrower than the GGT inside the telescope portion, the same as the GGT, or ?

The 2400mAh batteries by comparison fit very nicely - snug, but not 'tight.'
    It seems like if the GGT (or maybe GGTS?) were another 1/2mm of inside diameter, these batteries would fit easily. Has anyone fit them into any of their GGs?

wegster

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • May 10, 2009
    NC
    Huh - the forum crashed as I hit submit on the original post, nice to see it made it through. :)

Mine are actually still charging - I kind of go back and forth on trying to use them without honing inside the GG or not. Which charger are you using on these, and how long did they take to charge? I'm actually wondering now if I may have a bad pair of them. :-/

Mactavish

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 19, 2010
    New York
    I picked up some Ultrafire protected 3000mAh 18650s, as I fairly often vape the GG at 3.7v.
    I bought them here, although there are other places, for reference:
    Ultrafire 18650 3000mah BUTTON TOP Protected Rechargeable Lithium Battery Li-Ion UF18650-BRC

For comparison, I have been using protected Ultrafire LC 18650s (2400mAh):
    Ultrafire 18650 2400mah BUTTON TOP Protected Rechargeable Lithium Battery Li-Ion UF18650

On the GGT, the 3000maH batteries are a *tight* fit. I'm unsure how tight the tolerance is from one GGT built to the next, but it's very tight, to the point that I may hone the inside of the GGT to use them - I'm unsure I would use them regularly without honing out the inner bore slightly.

I'm not sure if the GGTS with the telescope middle piece has the same inside diameter as the GGT or not? Imeo, is the GGTS narrower than the GGT inside the telescope portion, the same as the GGT, or ?

The 2400mAh batteries by comparison fit very nicely - snug, but not 'tight.'
    It seems like if the GGT (or maybe GGTS?) were another 1/2mm of inside diameter, these batteries would fit easily. Has anyone fit them into any of their GGs?

This was reported in another thread here, when folks started to get their GGTS's. Rob at Vapor King sells them as well. I had two, they were too tight for my GGTS, the inner brass sleeve was scrapping the outer casing off the batteries, and the little protective black strip that runs down the side of the battery. Other users reported they fit, though tight, meaning it seems they can vary from bat to bat. Looking closely at the inner brass threaded tube on the GGTS, it does seem to be made as thin as possible already, perhaps sanding it down with some emery paper could work for some. Just be careful with them. I switched to a thinner battery. Good luck!

wegster

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • May 10, 2009
    NC
    I have a GGTS and they fit fine in mine, i think i caught a lucky break as there does seem to be slight differences in width with these things, luck of the draw

I use a Trustfire TR-001 multi charger and mine took nearly 6 hrs to fully charge

Thanks, I feel better now - same charger here (3 of 'em, even :) ), still showing red, but I'll wait longer.

Amusingly, I realized some time back I had also been using the TR-001 to charge my 3v batteries. Oops. No boom, but.. :) :)

If the inner tube of the GGTS will fit these (sometimes), the GGTS outside diameter on the aluminum tubes is bigger than the GGT?

T-Hefner

ECF Veteran
    Jan 14, 2010
    NJ, USA
    weg,
    It seems the only ones really giving people trouble is the 3000mah ones... I think that the 2400mah and 2600mah ones are fitting. And some 3000mah are fitting also, like vapnaway said you may have to remove the top piece insert bat then put top piece back on. I hve 2400mah ultrafire and they fit snug but alright. (On GGTS)

-Tim

wegster

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • May 10, 2009
    NC
    Well, the 3000s fit. Barely. They indeed took a *very* long time to charge, whoever said 6 hours was probably right on the mark. Be very careful using these - they are tight enough it's very possible to damage the battery itself if your GGT or TS is even very slightly smaller on inside diameter - I'd stick with the 2400 or 2600 protected 18650s myself, they fit much better.

Battery mAh is always questionable, but from the same manufacturer, I'd like to think it's at least safe to assume 3000 > 2600 > 2400 > 1900 (I have way too many UltraFires and TrustFires :) ).

What I'm more concerned with than mAh is actually max discharge rates. With a 510 atty at ~2.5Ohms, and ~6.2vDC-6.8vDC (2x 3v batteries), that setup will 'want' to draw over 2A of current, but I don't believe any of the existing batteries will provide that much still? Neither will the regular 3.7vDC e-cig batteries, so it's all relative. As an example, I think the 750mAh Tenergies discharge at a max of .5A, so in series, 1A max. At that rate, we're still effectively 'underpowering' the circuit. In general, if more current is drawn and it's not hard limited somehow, the batteries can go a bit over that, but then the voltage from them will drop.

Maybe Imeo will make us a special battery? :D

I'm picking up a Tornado for giggles, am curious to see how well that works, as the word is it's a special battery, even if 3.x volts.

For those of you with the GGTS and Passthrough - the wall adapter is 2A, right? How does that compare for you with a 510 atty, compared to the GGTS on batteries at 6v (and with which batteries)?

emonty

Flavor Junky
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 15, 2009
    the Netherlands
    AC is 2A, correct. If I compare a regular 510 with the AC set-up and a 510 with 6 V (2 x Tenergy 1000 MAh) I prefer the set-up with the batties: better TH and more Vape.

If you ask me what is the best right now: the i7 with 7.4V batties, way beyond bliss. But I like a lot of TH, Flavor and Vape....

Now when the new AFS comes out, I know 4sure that with 7.4 and the i7 I will go into orbit ;-)

imeothanasis

Unregistered Supplier
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 13, 2009
    Athens, Hellas
    gg-goldengreek.com
    Thanks, I feel better now - same charger here (3 of 'em, even :) ), still showing red, but I'll wait longer.

Amusingly, I realized some time back I had also been using the TR-001 to charge my 3v batteries. Oops. No boom, but.. :) :)

If the inner tube of the GGTS will fit these (sometimes), the GGTS outside diameter on the aluminum tubes is bigger than the GGT?

GGT and GGTS have the same diameter Weg

wegster

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • May 10, 2009
    NC
    No, same fit exactly weg:)

The ID can't be the same with the same OD, the telescope sits inside the outer aluminum tubes, so ??
    I may need to go smoke something besides vapor, I think. :D

Is the wall thickness on the GGTS thinner than the GGT, and the telescoping inner tube *really* thin? :confused:

I think you should send me one to "measure" :D

Mactavish

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 19, 2010
    New York
    2400, 2600 or 3000, to me they are all the same as the MAh is not reliable (check it with a Multimeter and you will see) . I got the Grey one's and the Blue one's and they fit perfect.
    The problem is not the GGTS but the fact that batteries are not always consistent in exact size.

mAh ratings are indeed over stated for many of the types of batteries we use in our vapeing mods. However you can't check "mAh" with a "Multimeter".

"No, you can't use a multimeter to measure mAh, in your link they measured Volt. You can measure Li-Ion cells with a multimeter using the volt scale to determine the % of the charge, but this method is not exactly.
    With Ni-Mh cells this method doesn't work at all."

This is for Li-Ion cells:
    4.2V – 100%
    4.1V – 87%
    4.0V – 75%
    3.9V – 55%
    3.8V – 30%
    3.5V – 0%
    ========= END PASTE =================

There are of course some very expensive devices that can measure, load, drain and find a more accurate mAh rating, but I don't own one or know anyone that does. I did however treat myself to a "real" battery tester, something I always wanted to own, since testing any battery "voltage" while NOT under any LOAD is often very inaccurate. So I bought one of these:

ZTS Multi-Battery Tester™ (MBT-1)

This tester performs a "pulse load test", does NOT drain the batteries when testing, and shows "percentage" of real charge left in battery. What is interesting, when I notice less "vapor", and think my battery may be low, I used this tester, and indeed, each time the tester showed 80% charge. I can of course use it for all the other batteries I have, so it was worth it to me.

I think that while at home a "pass-through" AC/USB would be much less hassle, don't own one yet.

imeothanasis

Unregistered Supplier
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 13, 2009
    Athens, Hellas
    gg-goldengreek.com
    The ID can't be the same with the same OD, the telescope sits inside the outer aluminum tubes, so ??
    I may need to go smoke something besides vapor, I think. :D

Is the wall thickness on the GGTS thinner than the GGT, and the telescoping inner tube *really* thin? :confused:

I think you should send me one to "measure" :D

its the same for a simle reason weg. A cig with sections is like a cig with telescope. Imagine the telescope as a male thread of a section and you will understand

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread