Not open for further replies.

Dampmaskin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 28, 2014
Norway
www.steam-engine.org
There has been some talk on the 'net about using 317L stainless steel welding wire for coils, so I thought I'd post some typical specs for reference:

ElementContent (%)
Iron, FeBalance
Chromium, Cr18-20
Nickel, Ni11-15
Molybdenum, Mo3-4
Manganese, Mn2
Silicon, Si1
Phosphorous, P0.045
Carbon, C0.03
Sulfur, S0.03

Specific Gravity 7.9
Specific Heat (Btu/lb/Deg F - [32-212 Deg F]) 0.12
Electrical Resistivity (microhm-cm (at 68 Deg F)) 444
Density: 0.285 lb/inch3

[TR]
[TD]Melting Point:[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]2540 - 2630°F [/TD]
[/TR]

Dampmaskin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 28, 2014
Norway
www.steam-engine.org
Yeah, I suspect this event will be known to posterity as Gplatgate. :lol:

There are several benefits to this. First of all, now people can get their 317L much cheaper.

Secondly, as the actual specs of the wire are now known, it is possible to model the coils before building them. I tried to get the resistivity from the vendors at several occasions before, but for some reason they never replied. With the cat out of the box, it was only a matter of googling it.

Last edited:

roosterado

ECF Veteran
May 9, 2014
willmar MN
Found this in a Facebook vape group as posible GPlat Gplat.jpg

AngryCagen

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2014
NOLA
www.facebook.com
I went looking to find a cheaper way of purchasing the 317L and came across some disturbing information. I will post the link below so you can verify if this is the same wire you are speaking of.
ESAB Shield Bright 317L Welding Wiire 045" 26lbs 5804 | eBay

It says on the side of the roll that it produces a harmful chemical that is known in the state of California to cause cancer and birth defects OR other reproductive harm. Jesus Man! G-Plat will have a big lawsuit on their hands if this is the same wire. May be why they don't want to release their specs on it.
317L-disclaimer.jpg

Last edited:

VenusianSky

Verified Member
May 25, 2014
Pittsburgh
So G-Plat is a confirmed rip off? I was always skeptical for how much they were charging when you can buy a 100ft spool of kanthal for less than $10.

I'd maybe be in for a group purchase if it really is better than kanthal, and as safe. According to the metallurgist, he recommended just sticking with kanthal since it is cheaper.

Last edited:

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
I went looking to find a cheaper way of purchasing the 317L and came across some disturbing information. I will post the link below so you can verify if this is the same wire you are speaking of.

It says on the side of the roll that it produces a harmful chemical that is known in the state of California to cause cancer and birth defects OR other reproductive harm. Jesus Man! G-Plat will have a big lawsuit on their hands if this is the same wire. May be why they don't want to release their specs on it.
View attachment 369182

odd California produces more wine than any other state in the US but read the label on wine bottles..... but than again everything in Ca. is a carcinogen

BigDaddyQ

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2013
Greenville, SC
You'd have to get it hot enough to go from solid state to liquid state for it to produce any harmful vapors. If you are vaping that hot, I hope you enjoy that volcano you live in.

odd California produces more wine than any other state in the US but read the label on wine bottles..... but than again everything in Ca. is a carcinogen

Reactions: muth

TheRac25

ECF Veteran
May 23, 2014
The tax farm known as USA.

View attachment 369182

you purposely omitted the words "contains or", thanks for revealing your biased agenda

AMDTrucking

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2013
California
There has been some talk on the 'net about using 317L stainless steel welding wire for coils, so I thought I'd post some typical specs for reference:

ElementContent (%)
Iron, FeBalance
Chromium, Cr18-20
Nickel, Ni11-15
Molybdenum, Mo3-4
Manganese, Mn2
Silicon, Si1
Phosphorous, P0.045
Carbon, C0.03
Sulfur, S0.03

Specific Gravity 7.9
Specific Heat (Btu/lb/Deg F - [32-212 Deg F]) 0.12
Electrical Resistivity (microhm-cm (at 68 Deg F)) 444
Density: 0.285 lb/inch3

[TR]
[TD]Melting Point:[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]2540 - 2630°F [/TD]
[/TR]

Another word, if I need to make a 1.0 Ohm coil - I need to use 22.5 Cm of that stuff. That's too much and it is as thick as 17 Gauge wire. IMO

Last edited:

Phone Guy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2013
Arlington, Texas - USA
Is this kind of 317L wire available anywhere is small qty for trying without spending $70-$90..... If this mig welding wire is in fact gplat, surely there is a way I can try some in the $20 range???

Also, does Gplat perform better than my Kanthal A1? noticeable flavor difference, etc.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread