317L welding wire

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a welder I can tell you that the 317L would be mostly in the annealed(softest state) in a vaping situation. Quenching is what causes most metals to harden and become brittle if they are heat hardenable. The chromium is the nasty cancer causing stuff that the label is referring to. Some of the chromium get released when it become liquid and gets "overcooked" but not the cause in vaping. Not sure about the melting temp of chromium oxide (that's what makes stainless steel not rust) but around 300F I know that chromium oxide forms when not shielded from oxygen (that's why the stainless changes color when heating with a torch) and the 15 pound roll is typically the smallest you will find. Only aluminum wire comes in 1 pound rolls.

317L isn't the cheapest stainless wire. 304 stainless is also 18-8 chromium-nickel and by FAR the most common (forks and knives are 304 stainless) and should be more in the 7-10 a pound range. If you wanted to search for a small quanity try tig rod (comes in 36 inch long sections and be found by the pound) and look for 1/16" or smaller so like .030 or .020 if you can find it.

Froth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2014
Chipotle.
a hah! great find.

Except that the 0.045" Diameter would make this spool you linked close to the size of 15GA wire, which is enormous in the vape world and probably entirely useless.

If you're looking to build coils with it and use it for vaping, you're going to need to find something under 0.030" diameter, Standard 20 gauge is 0.032" to give some idea of size.

Last edited:
oh boy! I was trying to compare it on a gauge chart. I thought it was 20g. Thank you very much!

my plan is... I ordered royal wire in 22 and 26g to try first, then I might order a pack of anachrist in the future to compare.

I have 20g nichrome, which I'm enjoying very much. I guess the gimmick reeled me in on these wires. I'm almost hoping I don't fall for either of the two.

Well... vapinology just announced that the wire is in fact not welding wire, and they are not responsible for personal harm if someone were to use it.

I was looking into 317L 316L and the medical grade. But I would be still cautious to use this, although I plan on ordering some after I try some royal wire.

I know people were blown away from the suspicion of haywire being 317L, but would this update by the company reassure anyone that it was in fact a different blend?

dleister1981

ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
Michigan USA
I went looking to find a cheaper way of purchasing the 317L and came across some disturbing information. I will post the link below so you can verify if this is the same wire you are speaking of.
ESAB Shield Bright 317L Welding Wiire 045" 26lbs 5804 | eBay

It says on the side of the roll that it produces a harmful chemical that is known in the state of California to cause cancer and birth defects OR other reproductive harm. Jesus Man! G-Plat will have a big lawsuit on their hands if this is the same wire. May be why they don't want to release their specs on it.
View attachment 369182

the chemicals are only released if you melt it, vaping with it in a still solid form wont do that

dleister1981

ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
Michigan USA
Except that the 0.045" Diameter would make this spool you linked close to the size of 15GA wire, which is enormous in the vape world and probably entirely useless.

If you're looking to build coils with it and use it for vaping, you're going to need to find something under 0.030" diameter, Standard 20 gauge is 0.032" to give some idea of size.

.030 is considered small in most welding situations there are some wires smaller but you may pay a premium for them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread