317L welding wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBloke

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2015
Brighton, UK
I didn't have time to coil 317L this morning. I'm doing it know.
I vaped on 304 all the day. 304 is now definitely out. The taste is dull and flat. And it leave a persistant metallic harch sensation on the tongue which interfere with food and drink.

I have to specify :
My coils are always diam 3 mm 9 wraps made with kuro Koiler in order to have a constant source of comparaison.

Cool, Stephane, thanks - keep the info coming! I am doing my wire re-order at The Crazy Wire Company, and I threw in a 10m spool of 317L, 25 gauge.

I can't find out how to work out the resistance of this wire? Could you give me an idea of what gauge wire you are using and what the resistance is per meter or cm or whatever? Just a rough guide would be helpful.

I chose the highest gauge wire for my spool both to keep down the coil size and to hopefully slightly increase the resistance, because my understanding is that the resistances are very low, like nickel?

stephanep

Feb 4, 2015
LIege, Belgium
26 gauge.
I usualy use a 27 gauge (0.4 mm) 9 wraps on kuro Koiler for every test for better comparison. But the tmc doesn't exist in 27.
Unfortunately, i run out of my last test recipe. So i use a similar recipe with sweet strawberry from capela in place of strawberry from Baker Flavor. The concentration of flavor is lower in capela than in BF so the hit is lower.
I'm now using 317L.
I will have to compare tomorrow with 316L and Ti with this recipe in order to make a proper comparison.
For now, i can say it's smoother than kanthal that i find harsh in the throat.

TheBloke

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2015
Brighton, UK

OMG, I just realised that this company, vape-atomizer-mesh, is the same as The Crazy Wire company I mentioned earlier. Or rather, both of those companies are subsidiaries of the parent company, The Mesh Company (they sure pick interesting names, this group)

This is so annoying, because the Vape store has bigger stock! And stuff in-stock that was out of stock at Crazy Wire! Despite the fact that The Crazy Wire has a whole vaping section of its own.

Argh, they've obvioulsy made two completely different companies with their own stock levels. That's so annoying. And I already placed my whole big order at Crazy Wire.

Doh. Now do I place a second order here? Sigh.

The good news anyway is that they have TMC in higher gauges, as you're using.

SLIPPY_EEL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Ω England Ω
OMG, I just realised that this company, vape-atomizer-mesh, is the same as The Crazy Wire company I mentioned earlier. Or rather, both of those companies are subsidiaries of the parent company, The Mesh Company (they sure pick interesting names, this group)

This is so annoying, because the Vape store has bigger stock! And stuff in-stock that was out of stock at Crazy Wire! Despite the fact that The Crazy Wire has a whole vaping section of its own.

Argh, they've obvioulsy made two completely different companies with their own stock levels. That's so annoying. And I already placed my whole big order at Crazy Wire.

Doh. Now do I place a second order here? Sigh.

The good news anyway is that they have TMC in higher gauges, as you're using.

yeah make another order :D

If you use this coil wrapping calculator>> Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

the top left box 'Material and profile' in this drop down menu is 316L & 317L ;)

TheBloke

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2015
Brighton, UK
yeah make another order :D

If you use this coil wrapping calculator>> Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

the top left box 'Material and profile' in this drop down menu is 316L & 317L ;)

Haha good timing I've been there for the last 10 mins looking at the resistances, and I'm putting my new order together as we speak! :)

I got a scare because I noticed that Vape Atomizer Wire had listed some resistances for 317L, but they're completely wrong. Like they listed 30 gauge at 0.8 ohms/meter, when it's actually 20 times higher! I think they've put figures meant for a completely different kind of wire, or at least a much different gauge.

I ordered 25 gauge 317L in my first order yesterday, and I'm going to order a 30 gauge in my second order tonight (I wanted 28 or 27 but 28 doesn't exist and 27 is out of stock) and start with those two spools of Stainless and see how I go. That'll give me a good range, quite thick and quite thin, to get an idea of how I like it.

stephanep

Feb 4, 2015
LIege, Belgium
Yes Flash-e-vapor v3. Very good.
Astonishingly, not a single drop leaked in two day. Flavor is better than tayfun and a little under magma 26650 but with a tank.
By it's conception, it's more a dripper than a tank atomizer. But it's ugly.
Standard juice capacity is 5 ml which can be extended to 9.

I come back to wire test when i finish the tank.

Reactions: JeremyR

TheBloke

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2015
Brighton, UK
Yes Flash-e-vapor v3. Very good.
Astonishingly, not a single drop leaked in two day. Flavor is better than tayfun and a little under magma 26650 but with a tank.
By it's conception, it's more a dripper than a tank atomizer. But it's ugly.
Standard juice capacity is 5 ml which can be extended to 9.

I come back to wire test when i finish the tank.

Did you get any further, Stephane?

I now have two spools of TMC, 25 and 30 gauge, but I haven't had a chance to do any proper testing yet. Would be interested to hear if you got any further and have any thoughts. If not, I'll try and do some proper testing this week.

stephanep

Feb 4, 2015
LIege, Belgium
Sorry, i was busy with work and i had to change eliquid since i run out of my strawberry custard.

There is not real différence in taste between 316L and 317. They're both sweeter and smoother than kanthal.

The real thing is between 316L/317 and Ti.

Ti seems to be sharper and taste are more pronounced but less smooth than 316/317L.

Reactions: TheBloke
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread