Not open for further replies.

dam718

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2012
Hawaii
Aloha ECF!

So I have been wrapping my own coils, and I thought it odd that with only 4 wraps around a single wick I am getting between 3-3.2 Ohm resistance every time. I am using 34AWG Kanthal A-1 wire, #1/0 square braid cotton wick (single strand, around 2mm), in Stardust clearomizers. I have rewicked/coiled several of them and if I use 5 wraps I am closer to 4 ohms, which I have to pump the voltage way up to get it hot enough to vape...

I am measuring reistance with a Fluke DMM at final assembly across the center pole and the threads...

I just feel like I should be seeing lower resistance using 34AWG wire... And I also feel like I should be able to get 5 wraps around it, hitting somewhere along the lines of 2-2.5 Ohms. Is there something I'm doing wrong here? Or any possibility that the cotton is inducing some additional resistance?

Any help would be appreciated!

Mahalo!

dam718

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2012
Hawaii
So I was bass ackwards when I bought my wire... I thought for some reason the smaller gauge wire would create a lower resistance coil... But then all my electrical theory classes and the water hose lessons just came flooding through my head like just now... Give me a break college was 20 years ago man! :) So yeah, 34AWG was not what I needed to get for 2.5 Ohm coils... Need to get some 32... Oh well, another lesson learned in the wide world of vaping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread