Status
Not open for further replies.

Possum64

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
Hi All. I am new member to your forum but have been sneaking around reading it for about 4 weeks. I made the decision to stop smoking and started by 'investigoogling' as much information as I could on vaping prior to buying any devices etc. About 2 weeks ago I finally settled on the Aspire Zelos with the nautilus 2 tank. I MTL on 12mg at a whopping 8.5w!! (And am dual using - 3 to 4 cigs a day but from what I have read that is ok).

I LOVE smoking and have never had the desire, nor the need to give up....until recently. Residing in Australia, we have had yet another price rise on tobacco products, taking a pack of 25 cigarettes to around $30 (that is $23.88 US). Further price rises are set for March 2018 and it is predicted by 2020 a pack of 25 will be $40 (or $31.84 US). Personally, I think the price may be even higher by then. As a pack a day smoker, I have finally reached my limit! Your forum is by far one of the most interesting and friendly ones I have come across and the advice and tips I have already gleened is outstanding. Thank you to everyone for sharing your knowledge and experience.
Catherine

Last edited:

Tonee N

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2017
Nevada
:)

So happy your doing so well.. vaping is so much cheaper isn't

[emoji6]
0551d10e96159e28521834eefd64c6e9.jpg

Sent from the future

Bonskibon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2015
WELCOME!! I also enjoyed smoking, and after 30 plus years myself I knew I was only hurting myself. I duel used for several months and one day just stopped the smoking altogether. Now well into my second year I'm still in awe at how vaping has been so life changing for me.

Glad you joined, and much success to you! :thumbs:

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
Welcome to ECF! I dual used for a while, too. That first one in the morning was the hardest to give up. But then I realized that if I stopped buying cigarettes, I'd stop smoking them!

adept1

Verified Member
Sep 17, 2017
Good luck to you. Aside from the obvious health benefits, vaping is just so much better.
  • No need to waste a whole cigarette when you just want a couple of puffs.
  • No stinky hands, clothes, hair, or car.
  • No stained teeth.
  • Thousands of different flavors.
  • No litter.
  • The ability to inhale ridiculous amounts of nicotine :) Try 12mg in a DTL set up sometime!
I was in Australia last year. Aside from them not even having the cigarettes I like (Marlboro Black Menthol), those prices! I thought Singapore was expensive, but Australia has us beat handily.

VictorViper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2013
Vancouver
www.thisoldneon.com
A brand new vaper spends a little time researching (ok, I guess 4 weeks is a lot :p), ends up with an ironclad, tried-and-true MTL rig that will last and let her grow, and run lean on juice giving immediate financial impact.

How do we better ensure new quitters dial in a winner like that more often (not to suggest a DL kit isn't a winner for others)? Well done, OP, welcome to the forum! So glad you tried and thrilled to hear it seems to be working for you!

Possum64

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
Thank you! Yes, sometimes enough is enough. I could still AFFORD to smoke, but fair dinkum, trying to justify $30 a day is getting beyond ridiculous. I won't type the total per month because the number terrifies me...ok then...$900!!!

Being very new at this vaping, I don't DIY anything (expect a bit of basic e-liquid) and have worked out it will be about $40 a month total for all my bits and bobs. AND I am enjoying the journey, not in a small part because of this forum and community.
Catherine

Last edited:

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
I still have high blood pressure but it improved. I breath better, can walk up several flights of stairs without getting winded and sleep much better at night. May or may not be related but I used to get several colds throughout the year, I haven't had one since I stopped smoking.

RainSong

An adult who likes flavors.
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2016
Tempe, Arizona, United States
Hi and welcome! Being a part of ecf has a huge impact on my success as a vaper. So many knowledgeable and friendly people. Some come and go but some have been here for years.

I love to hear stories of long time smokers coming to vaping. I smoked 25 years and was one of the lucky ones who was able to immediately switch. My hubby duel used for 9 months and I know he still sneaks a smoke here and there but I try not to bug him about it. He doesn't do it around me so I turn a blind eye.

Out of interest, what are you on now..MTL/setup etc? (If you don't mind sharing).
My go-to set up is a Jac Vapour Series B DNA 75, nice slender mod, light and feels good in the hand. I usually use a rebuildable atomizer of the Kayfun type, right now a Kayfun Mini v3. Lower airflow but I do hit it directly to the lung, just what feels right to me. If I was still using factory coils I would go for the Nautilus 2.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
Hi to Anna and Coastal Cowboy! You are two of my favourites here. I love reading your posts..always informative, supportive and helpful..and I sometimes get a giggle. Always a bonus
Catherine

Awww, shucks. :blush:

If we want to keep it, we gotta give it away.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Giggles are a side-effect of not feeling 77 years old anymore. That was my last "blow" into that lung capacity thing, LOL, at the doctor's office.... At the time, I was like, "Hey, 77 year old woman, that's not so bad, I do a LOT for a 77 year old woman." :lol: Smoker's thinking, I think.

It took me a while to figure out that was not a good number (and some pneumonias) but I no longer feel (or look) as aged anymore, LOL. I can't wait to blow into that thing again but my doc wants me to wait a year. He says it takes some time for lung function to recover, and he doesn't want me to be disappointed....

But, I no longer FEEL 77 years old, okay so I have some grey hair, but man, I look upon them as free platinum highlights! I can't even say how much better I feel, but I'm glad you got some giggles (and hopefully some info) and I for one am super glad you decided to join in the fun! :)

Anna

Possum64

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
Thanks for the welcome suprtrkr!
Hi to BrotherBob - you have been one of my 'go to' people with advice you have given others. A huge thank you to you.
VictorViper, the first biggest hurdle for me was to get my mind set on actually giving up smoking. I have never had the desire to do so before now. Once I had my mind set pretty firmly I started googling everything I could regarding vaping. For those new to it, it can be so overwhelming. Also, where I live there are no 'brick and mortar' shops close by so I relied on the internet.
I did not want to set myself up to fail - that was number one for me.
As stated previously, it really was this forum that got me on the right track. Being a fairly organised person I actually wrote lists of your communities recommendations for set ups, liquids etc. I would then further investigoogle those things for reviews, videos or whatever I could find.
Yes, it does take time, but hey, I spent 37 years smoking so what was the rush?
I was also trying to avoid having to post inane questions here that you good people have already answered 110 times.
So glad I made (am making!) the switch!
And dear Anna....'free platinum highlights!' You crack me up
Catherine

Possum64

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
Thanks RainSong! Yes, this is a great place isn't it? I really enjoy hearing people's stories too and always pick up some interesting tips. Everybody is different and each journey has its own road. You are very understanding of your husbands position so that is wonderful!
I have my two little Aspire Zelos mods with Nautilus 2 tanks sitting here with me (different juice in each) but no doubt one day I will look at something new - plenty of time. I also have 6 Nautilus 2 tanks so I don't have to keep changing the juice.
I have just bought some 18mg juice and am going to play around perhaps mixing some with my 12mg and leaving some full strength. May help me stop the last few cigs?
Catherine

Last edited:

Possum64

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
:(:(:(:(

So happy your doing so well.. vaping is so much cheaper isn't it?

I remember when cigarettes went up to 13.00 a carton (10 packs) for Marlboro and I said wow, this is too high if they ever hit 15 a carton I'm gonna quit. Hahaha.. I didn't make good on that til they hit 60 a carton.. :)

I can't even imagine 23 a pack..

Too true! I was the same at every price rise but always succumbed. Was out shopping today with a friend who bought a carton - now up to $240 (189.70 US) for 8 packets of 25. Dreadful.
Anyhow, I am really enjoying vaping and hope I keep tracking along. Such a different world has opened up in so many ways.
Catherine

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I had my first cold while vaping. It was totally minor and I didn't wind up with a bronchial issue! No pneumonia, it was almost worth getting the cold! :)

Catherine, the N2 was my first MTL device, and I still love it. If you're working on those last few cigs, you might fill one tank with the 18 m.g. juice and just use it when cravings are fiercest. Just don't stop vaping, whatever you do. That's the advice I got while dual using, and it worked for me. If I had a craving, I tried to vape through it first, then if I smoked, I'd pay attention to how it felt compared to vaping, and then I would vape immediately afterward to reinforce that I was a vaper. Those last few cigs faded away, and I was SHOCKED at my first smoke free day. Just keep on plugging, you'll get there, and there is no time frame on when you have to stop dual using, there truly isn't. I'd love to say I was "that" vaper who threw out my cigs and never looked back, but I wasn't and I still got there... eventually. You are doing great!

Anna

Possum64

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
I had my first cold while vaping. It was totally minor and I didn't wind up with a bronchial issue! No pneumonia, it was almost worth getting the cold! :)

Catherine, the N2 was my first MTL device, and I still love it. If you're working on those last few cigs, you might fill one tank with the 18 m.g. juice and just use it when cravings are fiercest. Just don't stop vaping, whatever you do. That's the advice I got while dual using, and it worked for me. If I had a craving, I tried to vape through it first, then if I smoked, I'd pay attention to how it felt compared to vaping, and then I would vape immediately afterward to reinforce that I was a vaper. Those last few cigs faded away, and I was SHOCKED at my first smoke free day. Just keep on plugging, you'll get there, and there is no time frame on when you have to stop dual using, there truly isn't. I'd love to say I was "that" vaper who threw out my cigs and never looked back, but I wasn't and I still got there... eventually. You are doing great!

Anna

Hey Anna. That is a great idea! I have actually ordered some 18mg (up from my 12mg) and am now sweating on it getting through (you know how Australia is with nicotine products? - except of course with cigarettes, nicotine patches/drops/gum/tablets...go figure).
Hope I don't get in trouble for saying that! Was just going to substitute some with the 12mg but I think your way is a great way to try it. I have no intentions of stopping vaping - it really is very enjoyable - and you people here are so supportive and encouraging. Thanks for the tip :)
Catherine

Possum64

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
Thanks adept1. What you say is so true! The prices here are dreadful. In my years of smoking I was always a menthol fan, but have not heard of the Marlboro Black Menthol..and I would know it if it was ever available!
I am loving this vaping thing. Still sit out the back on the veranda as I did when full time smoking - now I chain vape till my hearts content. The flavours available are wonderful too. And I do so enjoy not smelling like an ashtray.
I have NO idea how to do the DTL business though. Looked at quite a few videos etc but still have no clue. I am afraid I am going to choke to death! Maybe I have just smoked MTL for too long??
Just have to stop those pesky few stinkies that I enjoy ☹️.....soon.
Catherine

Possum64

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
Hey adept1. I don't know how to do the 'quote' thing yet...or even if I am able to as yet. The closest I can remember is the Marlboro 'menthol burst' or something similar.

Good on you for not smoking them! I am so not up to that stage yet....baby steps
Catherine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread