4 pubs in Brighton and one in London (+2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

K.P.

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2008
United Kingdom
For the first month I had my 901 I was out of the country, and I've only been out to a few places in the month I've been back.

I've known the owners of the Caroline of Brunswick (on the Level) and the West Hill (formerly the Belle Vue, up Terminus Road behind the station) for several years (so I go to the CoB a lot, as it's close to home...the West Hill, not so much). I first heard about e-cigs from them, actually, after they saw them at a trade show. Thus when I emailed them ahead of time about using it there, they said "sure, go ahead. If they get really popular we'll start selling from the bar." No complaints from any patrons anytime I've been in, just occasional curiosity. I think, actually, I might have annoyed several smokers by conspicuously puffing big clouds every night while they had to go outside.

I get my daily coffee from the same place as the manager of the Quadrant (by the Clock Tower), so last time I saw him I asked him what his policy on e-cigs was. He'd never heard of them, so I showed him and started explaining. As soon as I got to the "...so it's technically legal to use them inside" he replied "well, if it's legal then it's OK with me!" Upstairs, where it's dark, I don't think anyone noticed what I was doing.

So as of now that's 3 pubs in Brighton confirmed e-cig-friendly. The Quadrant is a typical busy centre-of-town pub, the other 2 a little outside the centre. I don't know about the Quadrant, but the CoB and the WH are not part of any national or regional chain so they are unlikely to change their policy unless forced to by law (and they have good food too!).

I had a Sunday roast in the Druid's Arms (again, on the Level) a few weeks ago. I didn't have the brainpower to ask permission and didn't really care if I was asked to go outside, so I just steered our group to the most out-of-sight table and puffed away. The staff either never noticed, or noticed and knew what I was doing. Or saw, but didn't smell, and didn't feel inclined to cause a scene.

I get coffee every day from Taylor St Baristas (located inside TravelBag on Queens Road, near the Clock Tower), and so I've shown it to the owner, the other baristas, and some of the TravelBag staff. The owner of TSB (a former social-smoker if I recall) thought it was pretty neat and didn't object to me taking an occasional puff. But since I always get my coffee to-go I didn't explicitly ask what their policy on them might be. Since the owner of TSB is on extended holiday right now and they're sharing space with TravelBag they probably don't have an official policy as yet. But if you're in Brighton and want a coffee, you can go ask if it's ok and know that they have some familiarity with what you're asking about.

I also went to the Barrow Boy and Banker near London Bridge Station one Friday night several weeks ago. It was packed and loud and I couldn't immediately identify who was in charge, so I decided to just take my chances. My friends were already in a secluded corner so I started discreetly at first, and as the night went on I gradually became more casual about it. Lots of patrons asked (curious, not "what do you think you're doing in here?!"), but again the staff either didn't know, or noticed but knew. Or saw, but didn't smell, and decided they were too busy to bother if no one was complaining.

I almost forgot--I also went to see a band at the Lumiere in London in January. Same as the BBaB, it was too packed and loud and, since it's not a place I go regularly, I didn't care enough about being asked to stop to track down the manager. No problems.

There you go--seven in one post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread