Status
Not open for further replies.

dDubs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
Buffalo, NY
It really depends on the coil.

tc does not require more power just to operate tc.

with tc, having more power available can reduce rampup time.
I know tc doesn't require more power, but for example the nickel coils for a herakles are .2 ohm I believe, wouldn't that run best at 50w plus?

MotoMudder

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2013
Sumner, WA
I know tc doesn't require more power, but for example the nickel coils for a herakles are .2 ohm I believe, wouldn't that run best at 50w plus?

Nickel doesnt require near the power of kanthal to heat up. Also, unlike kanthal, you can get very low ohms, with very thin wire.
A single strand of 28g wrapped up can get you under 1 ohm easily. Whereas with kanthal, you'd have to have thicker wire which requires more power to heat up.
Im running at 30joules(watts) right now and ramp up is almost instantly.

billherbst

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
Columbia, Missouri
www.billherbst.com
Not to pose as an expert on temp control---since I'm just another lab-rat user with limited knowledge of the technology---but it seems to me that applied wattage (from relatively low to very high) provides only a single variable in temp control as currently implemented in most TC mods: Wattage determines only one thing---how quickly the coil will reach the specified temperature limit. Low watts = slower ramp up; high watts = quicker ramp-up.

At 40 watts, a given coil might take a pull or two to reach a moderate temp limit, say 420° F. At 100+ watts, that same coil will reach the set temp limit much quicker. Depending on the temp setting, the coil could heat up to full temp almost instantaneously. At least in theory.

In real-world experience, I've had better luck personally by keeping the wattage lower rather than higher. With some of my nickel-coiled atties/tanks, the vape at higher watts (50W+) sometimes tastes "harsher" initially, while lower watts (40 and less) often provides a "smoother" vape. Set the watts too low, and the vape becomes anemic (i.e., not enough impact). I generally stay at 40-50 watts, although I have TC mods that will go much higher. YMMV, of course, as too many subtle variables exist to make blanket statements that will apply for everyone.

Reactions: petra_

dDubs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
Buffalo, NY
Nickel doesnt require near the power of kanthal to heat up. Also, unlike kanthal, you can get very low ohms, with very thin wire.
A single strand of 28g wrapped up can get you under 1 ohm easily. Whereas with kanthal, you'd have to have thicker wire which requires more power to heat up.
Im running at 30joules(watts) right now and ramp up is almost instantly.
OK so it requires less power with nickel to get an equivalent vape to kanthal

MotoMudder

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2013
Sumner, WA
Ok thanks for the info. Like I said I just feel like 40w TC is kind of pointless and that you'd want something with more power. I guess even if you don't use it at least the capability is there.

Oh yea, of course. a 200w mod with TC is more versatile than a 40w one. especially if you dont always use TC

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago

No.
Ohms alone does not tell you what wattage is suitable.

You can use the steam engine calculator to figure out what wattage is suitable.
Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators
Here's 28 gauge Ni200 0.2ohm at 33 watts.
If you change the gauge, you need a different wattage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread