Status
Not open for further replies.

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
I have two chargers now. I'd really like to buy three or four more batts. -- I understand your not wanting to list them without a charger because there isn't much doubt that people will try to charge them with the wrong charger... But, any time you are ready to sell a few, I'm ready to buy a few.

Sjkader

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2011
Mellette, SD
Thanks! I just ordered 4. -- Thanks for listing the 3.0v lifep04 batts without the charger too. I picked up a couple of those as well. You folks treat me really well and I appreciate it.

Six,
are these the same ones as the ones in the charger battery combo? RCR123a LiFePO4 Rechargeable Battery

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
Six,
are these the same ones as the ones in the charger battery combo? RCR123a LiFePO4 Rechargeable Battery

The photo is the same and description matches, so: Yes. I was really happy to see those, too. And, that's a good price compared the the other place I saw them.

Sjkader

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2011
Mellette, SD
The photo is the same and description matches, so: Yes. I was really happy to see those, too. And, that's a good price compared the the other place I saw them.

Great! Have been waiting for them. love vaping at 6.0v on the dual carts. only have the one set now i can stop switching back to 3.7V :)

hawkizefan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2010
omaha
Thanks! I just ordered 4. -- Thanks for listing the 3.0v lifep04 batts without the charger too. I picked up a couple of those as well. You folks treat me really well and I appreciate it.

apparently great minds think alike. My exact order, but I don't already have 2 chargers....soooo..was thinking that maybe I could adopt, just briefly, one of your unused chargers. Oh..and I might need to borrow your mower tomorrow if thats o.k. also...little short on cash now sooo...

Hey six, I was wondering what 5 volt charger you already have and is it a single batt. charger or dual? also figured that since you have the charger you are probably familiar with the 5 volt batt. If it's not asking too much could you give your opinion and/or quick review on them. MY 5 volt PT( god bless her 4 week old soul) was outstanding....for 4 weeks. I guess for the price that seems about right, but was curious to know if these batts. are any where comparable to a 5 volt PT?

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
Hey six, I was wondering what 5 volt charger you already have and is it a single batt. charger or dual? also figured that since you have the charger you are probably familiar with the 5 volt batt. If it's not asking too much could you give your opinion and/or quick review on them.

Sure. The chargers I have are single battery chargers and appear to be made from a Nokia cell phone charger (I used to have a Nokia phone that had the same wall-wart) which connects to a single 18650 sized battery holder (plastic trough with a spring on one end and a tab on the other). Since we're in madvapes vendor forum they pay for, I won't directly mention another vendor. A forum search will get results if you don't already know who else sells these batts. -- The charger is the weak point. It's a custom charger not necessarily designed for this purpose. The first one I bought seemed to need eight to twelve hours to charge one of these batts. The second one makes the battery warm to the touch within a couple of minutes and never stops charging (I'm probably going to have it replaced).

The batteries: I thought I had 1 good one and 1 not-so-good one, but it turned out to be a charger issue. If I didn't leave it on the charger at least 10 hours, the "bad" one didn't charge up all the way. it would come off the charger reading 5.4, but would die in a very short amount of time. I cleaned the contacts and now it seems to charge as well as the other one has been but still needs more time than the other one does, I think. The "good" one always seemed to be fully charged in quite a bit less time... it was a little maddening trying to figure it out, but no matter - they both seem to be A-Ok now.

These are pretty close to 5.5v off the charger, but drop to 5.2 almost immediately. That means that they are acting how they're supposed to be acting. All batteries develop a resistance to the incoming charge and (I won't get in to the science) will read higher than the charger is outputting. NIMH cells develop that resistance faster than li-on cells do but dissipate the extra charge faster. -- All normal.

When they are properly charged, I'm getting about 4 or so hours of fairly heavy vaping on the dual coils. With a 3.0 ohm atty, I get around 6.5 hours. That translates to about 3 to 3.5 ml of dripping a 3 ohm atty or to about one full dual coil carto plus a few drags off a second one.

They die around 4.5 volts. I'm not exact on that due to them being really dead by the time they won't fire an atty. The last clean read I can get before they're just dead is 4.6 volts.

The C rating is a complete mystery. I read about NIMH cells on the flashlight forums and RC forums. The C rating of NIMH cells varies widely, and without some information from the manufacturer, it's really hard to tell without being set up to do some very specific tests (which I am not). Also, there is very little information about 1/3 A cells (at least in English) because it isn't an overly popular size with the flashlight and RC guys. - These are producing plenty of amps for 1.5 ohm dual coil cartos, though. The vapor production is extraordinary and the warmth of the vapor is noteworthy.

The size is nearly identical to a protected flat top 18650 but slightly narrower. So, these fit perfectly in any 18650 tube mod. They are a flat top, so it depends on the positive contact inside your PV as to whether or not you need a magnetic spacer to operate them. And, there is another thread discussing the rough stack switches. Some need a spacer or some solder on the switch, some don't.

The highest praise I can give these batteries is this: Because I can get these readily now, I think I'll probably buy another maxi rough stack to keep at work.. and I'll buy whatever charger Hoogie comes up with when it's available too. Most of my smaller mods are going to end up parked.

Last edited:

hawkizefan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2010
omaha
Wow Six.That was pretty comprehensive and yet in a "batteries for dummies" type language that I actually understood. Did have to read parts of it twice, but I'm guessing that your "happy" with these??

Got my first mod about a month ago and at this point (after about 6 somewhat obsessive months) I have pretty much decided on cartos over attys. That was pretty easy. Apparently atties hate me. The harder part of the nirvana vaping puzzle is juice and I have been lucky enough to stumble into the 2 vendors that work perfectly for me ( one on the cheap but with pretty good juices, and one that I would probably pay double of what they charge for their product because it has turned out to be exactly like what I thought a good tobacco vape should be).

The downside, if you could call finding 5 volt a downside, to all of this is that I got a 5 volt PT very early in my vaping journey and since then I was hooked at that voltage. I have a maxi RS and even though I don't find 6 volts too hot, I do find that for me it really kills the flavor. I don't even find 7.4 to hot, but might as well be vaping a flaming tire as far as the flavor at that voltage. And 3.7 is nice,,,,but just that,,,nice.

Anyway...5 volts. Very pumped to find that they are available, although apparently rare, and can't wait to try them. If they turn out to be even close to my old departed PT I'll be happy.

Since you seem to be pretty knowledgeable and tech savvy, perhaps you (or anyone else reading this) could point me to a place/site/thread that would give me some insight into the finer points of using a multi meter. Just got one and even though it's was cheap it promises on the front to have A FULL 7 FUNCTIONS. Just need to figure out 1 at a time. The "manual" which is slightly larger than a bazooka joe bubble gum comic is written in english, but I don't think english was the authors first, or maybe even second language. Could be me however. Have it on good authority(wife) that I'm kinda a dumb a%$.

Anyway, thanks for the info and if you don't mind...that little tag line at the end of your posts...care to share??

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
This thread is a must read for figuring out how to test ohms, voltage... and general battery understanding as far as e-cigs are concerned.

My signature is Irish Gaelic and means "Best Wishes And Good Health".

EDIT: Additions

Here is a good tutorial on using a multimeter and it has excellent pictures

And, I more or less agree with you about the flavor at 7.4 and 6.0. I have a couple of juices that are actually very nice in a dual coil at 6.0v, but even with the highest ohm attys I've tried (around 4.8 ohm, I think), I can't find good flavor at 7.4. 6.0 I can do with just a couple of juices, and I've vaped at 6.0 with HV attys. But 7.4 is just not anywhere near right for me. I can't even come close to making 7.4 useful.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread