5 volt batts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert T

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2010
Lake City, Florida
I notice that in my 5v box mod the protection circuit in one battery will shut down while the other battery is still at a usable voltage, kind of weird what batts do in series. That's with 2 14500 Lithium Ion protected batts. I don't think these batts. have any protection circuits. If a battery shorts there's nothing to shut it down. I can tell you first hand if you short one of these battery packs it gets to hot to hold in about 2 seconds! I don't want to know what they would do in 10 seconds..........! I don't think anyone else would ever do what I did but you never know........

Robert

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
I don't think these batts. have any protection circuits.

They don't. What they do when they reach their critical temp is they vent. They are a safe chem bat with a vent built in to every cell. They can't vent enough hydrogen to be very dangerous, and the vents disable the cells when they open. So, if you get one hot enough to vent, not much happens.

I've never tested that out. But, that's what the ni-mh specifications indicate and it is also what the flashlight and RC guys say about them. The ni-mh batteries have been in use for RC stuff for a long time and there's quite a lot of information about the chemistry etc on the RC forums. There's some pretty good info on the flashlight forums too, but the majority of those guys believe in li-on like it's a religion so you have to sift through a lot of "just use this or that li-on and forget other batteries" sorts of posts to get to the good stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread