Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokeygizmo

Perfectly Imperfect
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2010
South Carolina
A simple answer to a complicated question is the threading. 510 atty/carto is male; 801, 901, and 808 atties/cartos are female. The native connector on the device is, of course, the opposite.

And that's where it ends in its simplicity.

Each of them have distinct characteristics by name and by manufacturer as well as the many sub-groupings that fall under each designation - atomizer, cartomizer, single coil, dual coil, low resistance, standard resistance, high-voltage, and all the "ohms" in-between. Some vape cooler, some warmer; some are known more for flavor and vapor production, others more for throat hit.

This is an area where reading, researching and then, most likely, experiencing is paramount to understanding. And even then it can become mindboggling - it confuses even experienced vapors, particularly as new innovations to each are being introduced frequently. :)

I would suggest starting with Don da Boom's The Wonderful World of Vaping in the Library, if you haven't already, and then finding the sub-forums for those specific numerical designations to start your journey as well as utilizing the search engine.

The ECF Library
Model Specific Discussion

As far as the 808 and 901s go - yes, the threading is the same. However, air-flow requirements are different. They are not necessarily interchangeable and will not necessarily work on each other's native connector even though the threadings match.

Last edited:

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
If you are asking about the slim ecigs (note: 100mah is about 1 hour of moderate vaping)

510 - the most popular threading, the largest variety of atomizers and cartomizers (though the LR ones can only be used on fat battery models and mods 450mah+). 510 comes in 2 sizes 180mah and 280mah. Most often used with blank cartomizers and the most popular ones are Boge but there are others. I strongly recommend the manual batteries which have a fully sealed meal threaded end - totally safe from damage by juice leaks. This also means you can use a drip tip for testing juices. Nice PCC for the short 180mah batteries at NoSmokeVA.com (the $29.95 one is the PCC alone). The NoSmokeVA clone 510 would probably be OK to buy (we know it is the correct polarity since that PCC works with Joye brand) you always chance lower quality when you buy a clone. it would be better to buy real Joye brand 510 and but the PCC separately. The longer Joye mega xl manual is very nice and holds the voltage up better. the only PCC for the mega xl is a less roomy metal PCC shaped like a pack of slim 120's.

801 - has its fans. Supposed to give a big vapory drag. It's a true pen model with the mouth end fatter than the opposite end so it looks something like a fountain pen with the cap on the end. Some nice atomizers, not a large selection of cartomizers. I am actually going to try an 801 atomizer on one of my manual models for dripping, either with an adapter or Ikenvape has a new kind of 801-style atty with different threadings on them.

901 - I would not buy it. MUCH more popular and the same threading is KR808D-1, the most popular 2-piece ecig. See Vapor4Life.com and SmokelessImage. For testing juices you can put a dse901 atomizer on these batteries. I do not recommend auto batteries but if you bought them you would use 901 cartridges on the atomizer. If you bought manuals you could use the more convenient drip tip for testing juices. KR808D-1 some in 3 sizes 180-220mah, 280-320mah (I recommend this size), and Vapor4Life has a 3rd size XL which is very long (380mah). The SmokelessImage model claims the higher mah but has a very tiny button on the manuals which is a bit harder to press, the Vapor4Life model is like the original manufacturer model and has a more typical size button. KR808D-1, unlike 901, has plenty of cartomizers available including prefilled ones.

Last edited:

Sophey

ECF Veteran
Jul 19, 2011
Seattle, WA
My first PV was a Joye 510, manual battery, which I tried with carts, drip tips, and cartos. I didn't care at all for the carts or the drip tips on the 510 because the 510 atomizers would get too hot to even hold; the cartomizers addressed this problem somewhat satisfactorily. (I understand this has more to do with my "drags" than with the units themselves).

Once I realized I was looking for a "cooler" vape (and for more taste of the e-liquid flavors), I decided to order a 901, manual battery. Instead of the DSE battery, however, I bought the Riva. For my vaping style, the 901 felt like a huge step up. I liked everything about it better (and gave away my 510, as a result). The 901 works great for me whether I'm dripping, using cartridges, or using cartomizers. I enjoy dripping with it. The vape is cooler, and the flavors are more pronounced than what I experienced with the 510.

Curious about the pen style, I ordered a DSE 801, manual battery. I've only had it for a few days, and I really like the atomizer. So far, it's my favorite of the three (the atomizer, not the battery). Vapes are long, cool, flavor- and vapor-filled. I'm not happy with the batteries, since they are both already giving me fits (as in I think I've already lost one of them and perhaps the other as well). But that is probably just a "buyer-beware" story since the place I purchased them is not one of ECF's vendors. It is really hard to find DSE 801 manual batteries at good prices. I guess there's just not much demand.

My experience when comparing the three models is the 510 gives a stronger TH (not something I'm interested at all in) than the 901 or 801. The 510 atty gets really hot. The 901 produces a smoother, cooler vape than the 510. The 801 produces an even smoother and more flavorful vape than the 901. All three produce plenty of vapor for me.

In the end, it's all about personal preference. Who knows... I may pick up a 510 again in a few months and just love it! :p

SummerDawn

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2011
Wyoming
My first PV was a Joye 510, manual battery, which I tried with carts, drip tips, and cartos. I didn't care at all for the carts or the drip tips on the 510 because the 510 atomizers would get too hot to even hold; the cartomizers addressed this problem somewhat satisfactorily. (I understand this has more to do with my "drags" than with the units themselves).

Once I realized I was looking for a "cooler" vape (and for more taste of the e-liquid flavors), I decided to order a 901, manual battery. Instead of the DSE battery, however, I bought the Riva. For my vaping style, the 901 felt like a huge step up. I liked everything about it better (and gave away my 510, as a result). The 901 works great for me whether I'm dripping, using cartridges, or using cartomizers. I enjoy dripping with it. The vape is cooler, and the flavors are more pronounced than what I experienced with the 510.

Curious about the pen style, I ordered a DSE 801, manual battery. I've only had it for a few days, and I really like the atomizer. So far, it's my favorite of the three (the atomizer, not the battery). Vapes are long, cool, flavor- and vapor-filled. I'm not happy with the batteries, since they are both already giving me fits (as in I think I've already lost one of them and perhaps the other as well). But that is probably just a "buyer-beware" story since the place I purchased them is not one of ECF's vendors. It is really hard to find DSE 801 manual batteries at good prices. I guess there's just not much demand.

My experience when comparing the three models is the 510 gives a stronger TH (not something I'm interested at all in) than the 901 or 801. The 510 atty gets really hot. The 901 produces a smoother, cooler vape than the 510. The 801 produces an even smoother and more flavorful vape than the 901. All three produce plenty of vapor for me.

In the end, it's all about personal preference. Who knows... I may pick up a 510 again in a few months and just love it! :p

+1 for this. I love to hear bits from personal experience. Makes it easier for me to learn.

Thanks for asking this, sponga310! Lots of helpful information here. I'm going to subscribe. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread